Heart Failure with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frankie619, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

I took Frankie this weekend to the vet for heavy breathing and he was sent straight to the ER where I found out he has unclassified cardiomyopathy. It’s really hard to hear this after I finally had his diabetes regulated. They gave him 9-16 months. Any ideas on how to keep him comfortable? Or how to cope? Thanks everyone.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. :bighug:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. :bighug: Are there any meds that might help for now?

4. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

They said he’s not in pain but hes on a blood thinner to prevent clots and another med to prevent fluid build up.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry. Did Dr prescribe meds? Did Dr give you any instructions? Was it dx by echo and cardiologist? With keeping the diabetes in control, you watch for labored, rapid breathing or if Frankie has trouble breathing. Extreme caution to be used if giving any subq fluids. They will overload the heart. I was also told to keep ac on cold for him, it helps with breathing. It kept the humidity and pollen down

Otherwise let him happy.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear his diagnose, did they said what kind of cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart, enlarged heart walls, etc) and how advanced it is ? Did the vet did an electrocardiogram and an echocardiogram?

What symptoms does he have? How did the vet determined he had some fluids build up? What meds did the vet prescribed?

For my experience I think no vet can really know how much time a cat will live specially with heart problems (see my signature ) so my recommendation is that you keep treating his diabetes so that he can feel ok and enjoy every day you have with him sometimes this kind of illness just doesn't change and he can live a semi-normal long life despite his heart problem sometimes it doesn't but nobody really knows

7. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Oh no!! I'm so sorry about this!!

It brings me to tears how there are just SO many precious furbabies who are so loved, but some have health problems that we just can't fix. It just seems so unfair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.