Hello, boy my life thrown for a loop!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taffy's mom, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taffy's mom

Taffy's mom New Member

First off I must say I am so glad your group is here for those of us that need it. Second, my name is Melani and I have 5 cats, well my family and I do that is. But our first and oldest cat, Taffy; was recently diagnosed with diabetes and at the gets she took the shot so easily. Actually twice, but the next day she started to fight me and has done that every day. She's on Vetoline and we were told it doesn't burn, but she acts like it does. The main thing is, the vet we go to is right across the street; we don't have a car; and he's cheap, which is great. We are at times barely paying our bills. The doc is nice but he's also old and he does care, but at times it's like he doesn't know the new stuff.

Sorry for this being so long, but the main question I have is does anyone know if Vetoline does burn? So maybe I can push the doc with a few claims from others, maybe enough he'll believe it it it true. Again he doesn't think it burns, just Taffy is being overly sensitive and maybe she is.

Melani

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat found vetsulin uncomfortable when she needed higher doses, but didn't react when the dose was under 5 units.

What does is your kitty on? What are you feeding? Are you testing at home?

3. Uno's mom

Uno's mom Member

My guy was on Vetsulin initially and I personally I think its a terrible insulin for cats. I recently switched to Lantus and have already seen improvement in Uno's numbers and he seems to be feeling better too. You can get coupons for Lantus that make it affordable. Good luck with your sweet kitty and kudos on finding this group!

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't believe Vetsulin burns - I think what she's reacting to is YOUR emotions. You're still a bit shaky, worried about getting it right AND how she reacts. SHE is feeling that and becoming anxious herself - cats read us so well. Suggestion - when you start getting everything out, SING - yes, SING. Doesn't matter what, ABC song, that 'ear worm' that's in your head, make up a song...just sing. Singing releases natural calming chemicals into the body. You being calm will settle her down too. AND a low carb treat after test and shot! Freeze dried chicken works well and is low carb. Those are available at about any place that carries pet food. If not in the cat section, check the dog treat section - same thing just bigger pieces.

You got this! You found us here - the best place you never wanted to be.

C_Star likes this.
  5. C_Star

C_Star Member

Hi Melani!

If you can't get to a pet food store, here are some links for reasonably-priced freeze-dried chicken treats you can get on Amazon Prime (not sure where you're located, so here's some options):
    In the US, Nature's Diet
    In Canada, Crumps Naturals

I make a trail of the treats leading up to me so my kitty comes closer and closer to get more treats. Then when he's right in front of me, I gently put him on my lap and pat him while we warm up his ear with a sock filled with rice. And we sing a "Warm up the Ear" song :p
    It's sure to be a #1 hit on the charts!

Re: Stinging Are you warming up the insulin in your hands before you administer? I've been told by diabetic humans that cold insulin stings.
    I just hold the insulin-filled syringe in my palm until the chill is off. Or you can put your warm rice sock on top of it while you're prepping the food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.