Hello everyone...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen & Abby, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen & Abby

Jen & Abby New Member

Abby, my 10-year-old companion, was diagnosed diabetic just a few days ago after I noticed her drinking and urinating a great deal.

I had been feeding her dry Merrick Purrfect Bistro Healthy Weight, but after all the research I gained by lurking here on FDMB, I've contacted my vet to get the okay to adjust her diet to canned Fancy Feast and Tiki Cat. (thank you, low-carb food chart!)

I'm diabetic, too, so giving the insulin injections weren't foreign to me, and I'm gratified that she tolerates it well. She gets 2 units of Lantus twice a day. I now need to master finding the right place to draw blood!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

Jen & Abby likes this.
  3. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Jen and welcome.

My Genghis and I have been at this since 6/20 - you are in a great place for help, support, and information.

I have no doubt you will find the "sweet spot" in Abby's ears in no time. I worried about hurting my girl but she doesn't seem to mind it much (I poke her while she is eating a spot of food) and I find that it's easier now than ever.

Welcome and keep us posted on Abby's progress!

Jen & Abby likes this.
  4. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Welcome Jen&Abby! My Tucker & I are new members also. June 27. . If you click on Tucker's SS in my signature you will find the type of spreadsheet to chart your #'s in. It's the best way for experienced members to peruse and offer advice etc.
    You are somewhat ahead of the dance, being diabetic yourself, re: shots & handling glucometer.
    Two thing I can offer you are: 1) Little rice packets warmed in the microwave for his ears, help alot.
    2) After sweet spot was determined, I didn't need much 'heating' just manipulation and I got it every time.
    I'm sure you are super organized, but I personally had to dedicate a tupperware

Jen & Abby likes this.
  5. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Oops. I dedicated a Tupperware type sectioned container for quick access to all my supplies, including bonito flake snacks for during pokes, and after. It has been a lifesaver!
    Just sayin' :)
    Hang in there!

Jen & Abby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.