Hello from Astra and Purrfect in France!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Astra&Purrfect, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astra&Purrfect

Astra&Purrfect Member

Hello and greetings to everyone on the forum!

I think it’s just marvellous to have a forum like this to support owners with their cats who’ve been diagnosed with diabetes. I want to say hello and introduce myself.

I’m English and live near Le Mans, France. I have nine cats: the mummy (brought back by her boyfriend, our lovely erstwhile tomcat Casper) and her four boys and one girl (one litter); an adopted cat abandoned by a neighbour; and two kittens found abandoned in the forest last September.

One of the boys in that litter, beautiful pure tabby Purrfect, now aged 2 years and seven months, has been diagnosed with diabetes. I won’t go into the details of his condition such as levels and initial treatment here as this is an introduction, not the medical part of the forum. But here’s a little background I hope you might like to know.

Purrfect’s huge Maine Coon brother was intimidating him and he ran away. After a month, and a lot of effort canvassing the rural neighbourhood with his photo, a local chap said he’d seen him (3 km from home!). Finally, in August after three and a half months, and to our great joy, the same chap brought Purrfect back in his car! We have kept him in the house since then but noticed a few weeks later that he was drinking a great deal.

After tests, we found out he has diabetes. Unfortunately, at the same time, we also found out he is FIV positive (although his immune system is currently functioning normally). We don’t know whether this will have an effect on treatment.

Anyway, thanks again for this forum and I’m looking forward to participating!

Best wishes from,
    Astra and Purrfect.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! You have a large group of very lucky kitties! We can certainly help you as you move ahead on the feline diabetes journey. Post any questions you have on the main health forum. :)

Astra&Purrfect likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Your little buddy has had quite a rough go of it in his short little life, but so glad he found his way back to you! I bet it was hard to not think that you'd ever see him again after that many months. What a miracle.

Welcome, we will do everything we can to answers any questions you have.

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Reason for edit: Typo
  5. Astra&Purrfect

Astra&Purrfect Member

Thanks very much for the welcome, Kris & Teasel, JanetNJ and Sandi & Whisper. Yes, indeed, we have a lot of cats - never imagined it would be so but we adore them all!
    Yes, Purrfect has had an eventful life! When I definitely knew he was out there somewhere I used to call his name over the hills towards that area every evening. It was like a miracle to get him back.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I am not far behind you with 7 cats.

Critter Mom and Astra&Purrfect like this.
  7. Astra&Purrfect

Astra&Purrfect Member

Wow, Janet, yes! That's quite a family. We were at seven cats too until September when I heard meowing from 400 metres away in the forest. There I found two 3 and a half week-old kittens abandoned by their mum! Baby kitten bottles and special milk a go-go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.