Hello from Estonia!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Riin, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riin

Riin Member

Just wanted to say Hi and thank all of you! I have learned so much from this forum.

My cat was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I have not done a formal spreadsheet yet, but I write everything down on my paper notes. I will do the speadsheet soon, because I feel you know feline diabetes better than most vets in Estonia. If I had not contacted with 2 other vets and have given the dose my current vet said, my cat would be dead. Etc.

Just wanted to say thank you. You are the people who know my struggle and you give great advices. These last weeks have been sooooo hard. And one of the things why I love this forum is that you get it- I dont have to explain here what it is like after diagnosis- worried, confused, tired, sleepless yet sleepy, exhausted, angry, stressed out, broke lol, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your cat is beautiful!!!! I love black kitties:cat:

Riin likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Riin likes this.
  4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Welcome Riin!

Riin likes this.
  5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be! You have SUCH a beautiful kitty! Black kitties are my absolute favorites!

Riin likes this.
  6. Riin

Riin Member

Thank you! I also think my kitty is gorgeous . His name is Ants. Nothing to do with insects. Pronounced like [unts]. Or like aunts, but the au part is very short. Just a common male name in Estonia (he picked it, I did not like it at first).

Actually I didn’t like cats much. I always thought of myself as a dogs’ person. But he was homeless and when I saw him there was no way to leave him. Our agreement was that I would give him food and a roof over his head and sometimes play with him and that is it, but step by step he totally stole my heart. And now Im on a mission. If he doesn’t go into remission, then it is his pancreas’ fault. Because Im watching him like a hawk (as much as my work schedule lets it).

Sharon14 and Dyana like this.
  7. Idjit's mom

They do steal our hearts, don't they? My husband did not want another pet, but when Idjit needed a home and I wanted him, hubby grudgingly gave in. Idjit adores him and my old man has shamelessly spoiled him. Idjit sleeps with him, follows him around outside, and when "dad" comes home from errands, Idjit rushes to the back porch, flops down so "dad" can sit on the steps and pet him.
    Riin, would you create a signature please, so we can see Ants information when you post. Please indicate in the signature that you are in Estonia, so that the other members know. Here is a link on how to create the signature: SIGNATURE
    We also use a spreadsheet here to record and track insulin injections and blood sugar tests. Seeing that information and the patterns that appear helps members to see how the treatment is affecting Ants, and perhaps make recommendations, and get to that goal of remission. Here is a link to creating the spreadsheet and understanding how it works: SPREADSHEET
    Please start posting in the Health/Main forum. This Welcome forum is like the welcome mat, and in the Main forum there are more eyes to see questions, issues or concerns. I would like to see you get as many responses as possible.

Riin likes this.
  8. Riin

Riin Member

Thanks! I updated the signature part (hope it works). Speadsheet takes some time but I promise I will do it.

Dyana likes this.
  9. Idjit's mom

I see the signature, thank you. Could you please indicate the Lantus dosage too? Are you dosing 2 times a day? What kind of diet is he on? A wet low carbohydrate diet is best for our sugar cats, but I don't know what kind of canned food is available to you in Estonia. Yes, do the spreadsheet as soon as you can, if you have any difficulty, there are members who are able to help or set it up for you.

10. Riin

Riin Member

Yesterday I starded with a dose of 1.5 units twice a day. At first my vet said that 3 units twice a day. Consulted with other vets and they said it was way toooo much for starters, especially if I could not home test. But the first day I bought a glycose meter and could not do it. I watched a thousand youtube videos, shaved the ears and could still not do it. Meanwhile I dosed him 1 units twice a day because I did not feel safe blindly shooting 3 units. So I found out that my first meter was BS- needed too much blood plus the strip did not suck the blood- I had to drop it from the ear into the strip (in the middle of it). Even right now, with experience, I could not do it- is is nearly impossible to do with cats, let alone with beginners.

But with new BG meter I increased the dose to 2 units twice a day. I have a pen. And then I figured that 2 units might be too much and 1 units not enough. So I got syrenges day before yesterday. So I draw insulin from pen for now. I also experimented with the pen
    Before (like if you dont hold it in as much as needed, drop will accure so he does not get the full dose).

Ants has been on Hill’s prescr. kibble for about 8 years because of his struvites. CD or SD. And althouh the vet strongly did forbid to give him anything but the dry food, I gave him what he wanted so much. Like minced meat, raw chicken (his favourite!!) and wer food ( now I know his favouritw wet food is too much in carbs).

So now I try to experiment with doses and try to give less and less dry food. Right now I give 10 g twice a day Hill’s dry food. It is about 25% his daily need. Then wet food and raw meat.

Envy you. It is not easy to find wet
    Food under 10% plus even harder to find something that he eats. Im literally throwing money into toilet.

11. Idjit's mom

Wow, you really have had some ups and downs, but I think you are certainly doing your best to help Ants. Yes, please edit the signature to indicate the dosage of Lantus you are injecting, the 2 units, 2X a day, correct? I do know that Lantus works best with a consistent dose. I am so glad you are home testing, it's the best way to keep Ants safe and let you know how the insulin is working. There is information in the LANTUS forum that you should read, visit the forum and read the yellow tagged threads at the top. There are two protocols in place for using that insulin: Tight Regulation and Start Low Go Slow. It's best to decide just which protocol is best for you and Ants. Post there and let those members help you. You are Ants' caretaker, you know him best and as you learn about feline diabetes and how Lantus works, you are his best advocate for treatment and care. More experienced and knowledgeable members in the Lantus forum can advise you better than I, and very possibly better than your vet(s). It appears that many vets are just not as well educated or experienced with feline diabetes. These members have been caring for their sugar cats for a long time, some of them years. Over 400 cats have attained remission on FDMB, it's a worthy goal and I hope that with education and support from the board, Ants can join them.

Riin likes this.
  12. Riin

Riin Member

I think I managed to upload the SS

13. Idjit's mom

You did very well, and wow, Ants is all in blues and some of the "normal" greens. Woo hoo. Being able to draw from the pen and use 1/2 units has made a difference. As I said, I am not experienced, but in my opinion if you can get Ants on a low carb wet diet that could be just the right next step to getting him to remission. Please read the Lantus information, post in that forum to get the experienced members input. One more recommendation, since Ants BG numbers are coming down and you are changing his diet, it's critically important to watch for hypo events, and to know what to do. Please use these links to be prepared, better safe than sorry. HYPO HYPO TOOLBOX
    When Idjit's numbers started coming down and we weren't testing as often as we should have been, we just weren't aware of what was happening. I just happened to test one day and caught Idjit heading too far down. I did have corn syrup on hand and used it, and posted here right away. The members in Lantus forum walked me through what I should do and the hypo never became critical, and was resolved fairly quickly. But..I was not prepared at all. Then, afterward, I printed out the Hypo instructions and made my toolbox.

Riin likes this.
  14. Riin

Riin Member

Estonian people are not so keen in syrups as americans and the syrups here are usually full of crap. But one of the first steps I did after giving insulin shots and finally getting BG level was buying honey. I don’t use it- it is for him. Better safe than sorry

Dyana and Sharon14 like this.
  15. Idjit's mom

Excellent! Honey is just as good or better, I didn't have any on hand at the time, but I had the other. You have already gathered so much information and educated yourself. I think Ants is in very good, capable and loving hands. Here's looking forward to an OTJ party for Ants.

Riin likes this.
  16. Riin

Riin Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Well christmas is actually 2 months away, so all I want for christmas is remission! F**k the presents, I dont need anything else. Vet care is sooo expensive in Estonia.

You are right about being informed. I spend tons and tons of time reading here. I want to know everything there is to know to get him well again, OTJ as you say.

I also posted on Lantus forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-15-ants-amps-7-2.204903/

If anything is unclear then it’s because English is not my first language and Im 1000% sure that if I would write in Estonian, 99.99% of you would not understand even two words

Ma tõesti loodan väga, et mu kiisu saab terveks ja ei vaja enam insuliini- I really hope my kitty gets well and won’t need any insulin anymore.

Idjit's mom and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.