Hello from Italy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mauro & Batu, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mauro & Batu

Mauro & Batu New Member

Hi, my cat Batuffolo (male 8yrs old) is diabetic after visit to VET this Monday.

I recognize some strange behaviour..drinks a lot and a little sedentary.

So the blood exam show 465 mg/ml value, during exam he was very nervous with VET....his weight is 7.5kg

I start with Royal Canin Diabetics (dry), 60gr all day divided in two times.

Today i must start insuline injection, vet tell me to start with 2 unit (0.02 ml) with glargine.

I hope to do injection without problems.

Thank you for this forum! It has been very helpful!

MissFrancis likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Mauro and Batuffolo. I hope you can find the information and help you need to treat Batuffolo and learn about feline diabetes. It is recommended that diabetic cats especially, all cats actually, should eat a low carbohydrate wet diet. That means canned, raw or homemade. Dry cat food is actually high in carbohydrates that cats cannot process and can be a cause of the diabetes itself. Changing a cat's diet to an all wet, low carb diet can reduce the blood sugar. You do not mention that you plan to home test Batuffolo. Testing his blood before injecting insulin to ensure it is safe to do so, and testing at different times of the day and night (as possible) shows you how the insulin is working for him. Humans do not inject insulin without testing. Testing also reduces the chance of your kitty having a hypoglycemic event (low blood sugar) which is very serious and can be fatal. Not something any of us cat lovers want to happen.
    Please bring questions to the Main Forum where more members check and can help. Here is a link to the Main Forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Ciao e benvenuto! :)

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

5. Mauro & Batu

Mauro & Batu New Member

Hi guys, thanks for all advice and welcome messages.

Yesterday insuline was not avaible, so today i will receive lantus 100U/ml (bottle of 10ml) and i requested a human glucose tester with the strips. Today in the afternoon i can try to check his blood and in the evening start with minimum dose of insuline like my VET suggested me (2 unit) if his blood sugar after start diet monday isn't go down.

I purchase a dry diabetics food (from royal canin) but maybe is too much with his situation, could i take wet diabetic food from Royal Canin?

Thanks in advance.

6. Idjit's mom

Mauro, there is a food chart in the first yellow tagged sticky at the top of the Main Forum page. It's a database that you can filter for specific brands and/or content of wet food. These canned food selections are here in the US, but the Royal Canin "prescription" brand is there. Most of the wet food is too high in carbs, the only selection I see that is low enough in carbs is the Recovery for Adult Canine and Feline at 3 carbs, the next best is Calorie Control at 11. You want less than 10%, 7% or less is better. Perhaps go to the store, write down the available canned cat food and request the makers provide you with the information you need. Network with other diabetic cat owners, maybe via your vet, to find out what they do. I do not know if the internet outlets would ship to you, but that also might be an option. Another alternative would be home made food, but be aware, there are certain nutrients that are essential for feline health. Review www.catinfo.org.

7. Mauro & Batu

Mauro & Batu New Member

Thanks again Lou, so i have the equivalent of Royal Canin Prescription Glycobalance? Today i buy the wet type of this brand but i agree with you carb are around 14 (i see in catinfo.org with filtered section). In the afternoon i do my first blood sugar test..my cat and my girlfriend were collaborative thanks to them i have the first result..i understand is not indicative because today Batuffolo just eats something. The value was 442 again the first at Vet thai was 462. I use a human meter Pic Glicotest, tomorrow morning i will try again a test.

Thanks to all

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

9. Idjit's mom

Congratulations on getting your first BG test! I'm glad that your girlfriend helped and Batuffalo cooperated. Sounds to me like you are on your way to being a pro. Please remember to get a test before every insulin injection, and then some as you can during the day and before you go to bed to see how the insulin is working in his body, and where the nadir (lowest BG) is. As you change kitty's diet to lower carb wet food, his BG will reflect that, and you are going to want to know if a dose change needs to be made.
    Please start posting in the Lantus forum so that the more experienced users of that Insulin can see what's going on. This introduction forum is more like a welcome mat on the porch, and not as many members will see this thread.

It is possible to link this Introduction thread to your new thread in the Lantus forum, if you are using a computer. See the page URL at the top of the screen? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hello-from-italy.202477/
    This is what you would copy, go to the Lantus forum to start a new thread, and paste the LINK into the new message window. The link window is accessed from the line of formatting icons, etc at the top of the message window, see the B I U ...? The LINK looks like a chain link or a paper clip, click on that, click in the URL window and paste the URL into the blank box.

Use this link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/ to get to that Forum. Start a new thread there with a title. Paste the link here and you can then type your message. I hope I haven't confused you, I think you are computer savvy enough to do this.

Then you can post either in the Main Forum or the Lantus forum, as the Introduction forum has now served its purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.