Hello From Miss Misty (just diagnosed)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misty2007, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

IMG_E0407.JPG View attachment 39769 View attachment 39769 View attachment 39768 Hello, everyone, I'm Heather.

My cat Misty was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I wish I could say that I surprised, but she had been urinating a lot before being the diagnosis. She had started losing weight rapidly, and I grew concerned. Initially, I went to the vet when she seemed to have an ear infection. When they were doing the bloodwork for her sedation, they found another illness: diabetes. I was upset when I heard the news, and I didn't have much support from the ones that I love. I even had someone suggest that I put her down and get a "healthy" cat. Added onto that stress was the fear that I would not be able to afford her supplies and food. I live on disability, and it's a stretch.

I was looking up options that might help me pay for the supplies. I applied for help from the "Diabetic Cat in Need" organization. They might be able to help me, for which I am grateful. I hope they can help me. Until then I still have issues giving the insulin. My cat does not have a lot of body fat, so getting a spot is difficult. I am determined to keep her, but I still worry about her. I have not learned how to check glucose yet. All in all my main fears are that I will hurt her with the insulin or glucose tracker.

Does anyone have any books or websites that might help me out? I would really appreciate it!

View attachment 39768

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The needles are really thin and don't hurt. Testing doesn't hurt either. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.... Who by the way looks a LOT like your kitty. Lol

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Misty and welcome to FDMB. I'm very glad to hear that you are resolved to help your kitty with insulin treatment and are willing to learn to home test. Home testing is the best way to make sure kitty is safe and let you know how the insulin is working in her body. Home testing can also save you money by saving you some expensive vet visits by doing your own curves. The members here can sure help with cost saving tips on buying the insulin, choosing a home testing meter and strips, as well as the best diet for a sugar cat that is affordable. A good start is to create a signature that will display with each of your posts. That will contain as much of the pertinent information about your cat that you have right now. Here is a link on how to do that :
    SIGNATURE
    Next, start a thread in the Health (Main) forum and get more eyes on your concerns and questions. Believe me, you are going to get lots of input on how you can take good care of your fur kid. We all had to learn to inject the insulin, home test and to choose a better diet for our babies. Link to the Main forum ====>>>HERE

4. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

New
    I will check it out! Thank you.
    Misty could be your cat's twin lol. She is so pretty!

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Misty2007

Misty2007 Member

Thanks, I will check it out. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.