Hello from rural Nevada

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MichelleNV, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichelleNV

MichelleNV New Member

I am head of a small trap-neuter-return and cat rescue group in rural NV. We do not have a shelter facility -- our rescues all live in foster homes. I have had a diabetic cat of my own (recently passed) and so recognized the symptoms when one of our rescues started drinking and urinating excessively last Sept. It took a couple months to get his blood sugar stabilized, but he is now doing well on 2 units of Lantus twice a day, plus special food.

Gus is a large long haired flame point, beautiful blue eyes, about 4-5 years old. He does not get along with most other cats, which has caused his recent adoption to fail. Can any of you help me with finding him a good permanent home? He is on Petfinder, Adopt-a-Pet, our group's website, and our Facebook page. He has appeared in the local paper as the "featured pet" several times. Unfortunately, this is a very small town with few people able to take on a special needs cat. Any help/suggestions most appreciated! thank you all.

I am using Gus as my avatar here.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. MichelleNV

MichelleNV New Member

Thank you! I just posted there as you suggested. Any other ideas most appreciated!

Sarah Smith likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, and welcome. :)

Try posting on the Feline Health board here; it gets more traffic than the Welcome section. If you put something like "Help Needed with Rehoming Rescue Diabetic Kitty" it will hopefully get you some more suggestions from other FDMB members.

Gus is a lovely cat; those eyes! Fingers and paws crossed that you'll soon fine him a forever home.

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. May I ask how much his diabetic supplies are costing you?Maybe we can help cut that down and someone would be willing to adopt him. What kind of special food?

6. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Gus!

7. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

He looks almost like my flame-point siamese! (but mine is also crossed with a tabby, we believe) image.jpeg

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  8. MichelleNV

MichelleNV New Member

Thank you -- I will post him there as well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. MichelleNV

MichelleNV New Member

The Lantus prescription is from the Wal-Mart pharmacy as they are the cheapest in town. $288 for a 10 ml vial which lasts 6 months. (He did not respond at all to ProZinc) He's on Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diet DM. $40 for a 10 lb. bag. Beyond the cost there is the problem that this is a small town with not too many potential adopters, and a rural community where animals other than livestock are not much valued. In his postings we've taken to adding that our group would continue footing his medical costs, but so far that hasn't resulted in any interest.

10. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

11. MichelleNV

MichelleNV New Member

thanks for the info & link on the lantus pens! I do give Gus a bit of Fancy Feast when he gets his shot -- glad to know others use that. Think I'll increase that and cut back on the DM and see how he does. thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.