Hello I'm new and looking for advice!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marissa Ganavage, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marissa Ganavage

Marissa Ganavage New Member

Hi, my name is Marissa and my cat Cloud is 10 years old and was just diagnosed with diabetes. The vet told us that his sugar is off the charts in his urine but not in his blood, but the condition is affecting his eyesight and his feet seem sensitive. If anyone can give me any tips for dealing with a diabetic cat and any foods that you have found that is good for him, I want to learn as much as possible to help him live a healthy happy long life. Thank you and have a great day!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can definitely help. :) Please go post on the Main Health forum and give us this info so we can get started (repeating some of what you said here):
    • Cloud's age and date of diagnosis
    • what insulin you'll use
    • whether you'll test blood glucose at home and, if so, what meter you'll use
    • what Cloud eats now
    • any other health issues/meds he has.

Please explain. What was his blood glucose reading at the vet's? If a simple urine paper test strip was used by the vet they're a very crude instrument for measuring BG. A blood reading is what we go by.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just what did the vet say about diabetes affecting Cloud's eyesight?
    Unlike humans, and especially dogs, it takes years of diabetes to affect a cat's eyesight.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.