Hello! My cat Bandit diagnosed 6/2/18

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Candace and Bandit, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candace and Bandit

Candace and Bandit New Member

Hi. I've been pouring over the forums to learn what I can to help Bandit. Initially started on 2 units Lantus twice a day. Vet did not encourage home glucose testing. On day 3 of giving injections I bought a Relion Confirm human monitor and started down the stressful path of home testing which is working itself out although I'm still stressed about it. I tested PM before it was shot time and reading was 45 and then 37. Contacted Vet who indicated that using human monitor was not accurate and that until we could compare the Relion with her pet monitor I should withhold insulin. I went in the next day after he had not had insulin for the previous PM dose and that day's AM dose. I checked his glucose before leaving home and it was 257. Once at the Vet he tested 320 on their meter and 258 on my meter. The Vet indicated the estimated 50 point difference needed to be taken into consideration when I test, meaning I should add 50 points to my readings to get a closer true reading. Does this sound right? Meaning if I get a reading of 45 on my Relion I should add 50 points to a more correct reading of 95? I still get worried with those low readings.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Candace and Bandit and welcome. I think it would be a good idea to bring your questions and concerns into the Main Forum, more eyes to see and begin to advise. It would be helpful if you created a signature with the info about Bandit: age, weight, Dx date, what insulin, what BG meter, what kind of food, any other medical issues etc. This info can be edited at any time and is displayed with each post.Just select your name in the upper right corner of this page, then select Signature.
    Another important tool used here is the spreadsheet, that way other members can take a look at the dosing and testing data and provide advice. Take a look at the Index in the Health Links/FAQs forum for the link to creating the spreadsheet and understanding the data.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your vet is incorrect. While there may be a50 point difference when you get a about a 260 reading, the number is closer at low levels, and further apart at high numbers (so a 50 on a human meter is about a 70 on a pet meter, and 350 on a human meter might be a 450 on a pet meter). You were wise to not give a shot when you got that low reading. Your cat earned a dose reduction.

Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150.

Please go to the lantus boards and read the yellow stickies at the top. There are two dosing protocols described... TR tight regulation and SLGS start low go slow. See which is a better fit for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.