Hello, newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PatriciaM, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatriciaM

PatriciaM New Member

Hello,
    My 6 year old cat (who already has HCM, a genetic heart condition) was just diagnosed with diabetes last week! I am so sad that one of my beautiful girls has to go through so much!

After I got over the initial shock -- and the shocking $300+ cost of the first vial of insulin -- I am proactively looking for information and hope here.

I am glad I found this group!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patricia, I'm glad you found FDMB too and yes, we can provide you with lots of information and support while you learn about feline diabetes and treatment. It is disturbing when our fur kids are not well, but diabetes is treatable and many many diabetic cats live very happy, healthier and long lives.

I can empathize with the initial shock of the cost of supplies, and there are ways to cut those costs down. My vet even sold us a box of syringes at twice the cost of what I could buy myself..and I didn't have any idea. Per your initial insulin cost, I am guessing Lantus, right?

There are three main components of effective diabetic treatment: diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing, just like for human diabetics.

We can help you learn about all three and offer tips and suggestions as you go along.

If you would create a signature so that your kitty's pertinent information is available whenever you post, then we wouldn't have to repeatedly ask the same questions and you answering. You can update/edit a signature at any time as needed.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Going forward, you can post on the Main Health forum with questions and concerns. This Intro forum is more like a welcome mat and more members check the Main Health forum to be of assistance. Then we can go into whatever issues you would like further information on. :cat:

3. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can definitely help you with money saving tips. Hope to see you in the Main Health Forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.