Hello! Out of remission!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caseylg89, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Hello! My kitty has been in remission for almost 3years and now the diabetes is back! I forget how to do it again and dont want to mess up. When she first got diagnosed years ago they started her on lantus 1 unit she was 11lbs, I ended up decreasing it because it dropped her sugar level too much. Well now they want me to start her on 1 unit 2x a day again, although this time shes only 5lbs. For cost reasons we switched from lantus to basaglar, I just need a simple refresher please! Feed 12hrs apart, test, feed, insulin, test 2 hrs after...correct??? I feed her frisky pate, 1 can a day. Please help me get started again!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sorry to say "welcome back."

You may want to take a look at the sticky notes at the top of the Lantus board. There are many of the notes you will remember and it's an easy way to find all of the information in one place. You're also welcome to post on that board.

You have the basics -- test, feed, and shoot all within the span of a few minutes. Remember that Lantus/basaglar dosing is based on the lowest number in the cycle (the nadir) and not on the pre-shot test numbers. You will also want to create a new spreadsheet for Chloe since you've deleted her previous spreadsheet. This is the link to the spreadsheet instructions. If you still have a copy of Chloe's spreadsheet on your computer, you can add a tab for the current data. You'll want to look at this post from Marje/Gracie about updating your spreadsheet.

3. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Hello! Yes really stinks to say welcome back but when she was urinating places other than her litter box I knew something was up! So check, feed, shoot...then check again 2hrs after eating? Correct? And start a spreadsheet again. Feed 12hrs apart also right? Then treats like grilled chicken right?

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Lantus onset is typically at +2. We will suggest a +2 or +3 test to see if numbers are lower than at pre-shot. If that's the case, it may be a cycle when you have to get additional tests. You do need to get more than pre-shot test data since Lantus dosing is based on the nadir, not on the pre-shot numbers.

You do not have to feed 12 hours apart. Many people let their cats graze or feed scheduled small meals. (I would feed Gabby at pre-shot, +1, +2 and +3 because she had an early nadir and was prone to dropping low early in the cycle.) The only restriction on when to feed is to not feed 2 hours prior to shot time, as long as your kitty is in safe numbers.

You may want to add some additional info/update to your signature -- indicate when Chloe fell out of remission, the meter you're using, and once you're over on the Lantus board and comfortable again, which dosing method you're planning on using. There are 2 dosing methods -- Tight Regulation and Start Low Go Slow.

I think your dose may be a bit high. There's a formula for starting dose: initial dose = 0.25u x ideal weight in kilograms. If 5 lbs Chloe's usual weight? Using Chloe's current weight, you would be starting her on 0.5u. (FYI - Basaglar is a generic form of Lantus. Due to the exorbitant cost of insulin in the US, most people are buying their insulin from Canada from Mark's Marine Pharmacy. The price is about 1/3 of what it costs in the US. We have info if you need it.)

5. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Thank you for all this info I'm feeling overwhelmed again!!! Just like before lol...I cant let her graze on wet food she just eats it all at once, when first got diagnosed she was grazing on hard foods so I thought that was the problem but was most likely the people wood she was eating.
    Yes I agree the 1 unit is too much so I will be doing .5 but I would like to start low and slow. So what would you recommend your feeding schedule for me? I have a 1yr old and him feeding her table scraps now is how I bet she fell out of remission.

6. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Also i have a freestyle freedom lite, and a ReliOn. Which one should I use?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I'm assuming your name is Casey. (If not, my apologies.)

How about if you ask your questions on the Lantus board? You'll get lots of help and support there. This is an introduction forum and not that many members check this spot to say "hello." Open a thread/condo on Lantus/Basaglar/Levemir page and post your questions there. The members are just as helpful as you'll remember.

8. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok thank you I just copy and paste my last response as a new thread on that page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.