Hello to all from Dusty (and her carers!)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Schmill, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmill

Schmill Member

Just dropped in to say "Hi".
    Dusty was recently diagnosed as being diabetic after we came home from holiday and found her dehydrated, and behaving strangely.
    We've now been giving her insulin injections for a while (under the guidance of our vet), using Prozinc at 1 IU twice a day.
    Steep learning curve and we are still going, but recently purchased an AlphaTrak2 and having used the control liquid, tested her brother (who is thankfully fine!), we then started to test her. Today we are trying to do a glucose curve at home, but found out earlier that she decided to go upstairs (she hasn't even been able to climb them for ages!) and eat biscuits from her brother bowl... grrr!
    Anyway, we are continuing with the curve, ("curve" ha! mountain range at this point!), despite her hating us for taking the samples, and I've spent the afternoon looking into foods.

For about the last year we've been feeding on Royal Canin Digestive Care (Biscuits) and Digest Sensitive (Meat) as she had major problems with diarrhoea on "normal food" and that seemed to calm it down. Of course, I've now crunched the numbers and found that neither of them are good for diabetes - sods law!

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and "Thanks" for this great resource.
    I've grabbed a copy of the spreadsheet that seems to be commonly used here, and then added additional sheets to it to make it easier for us to visualise her glucose curve result and also to calculate some foods; take a look if you wish :)

I'm sure we'll all be chatting soon!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, Schmill and Dusty. This board is a wonderful resource for you to learn about how to care for Dusty and treat the diabetes. I suggest you flesh out the signature a little bit more, with Dusty's gender, age, weight. It gives a better picture of your fur baby. There is a section here with some information and tips for our UK members, that might help with finding some food alternatives etc: UK INFO FOR DIABETIC CATS: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/uk-info-for-diabetic-cats-food-insulin-and-other-supplies.137376/
    You can post health questions in the Health (Main) Forum and it would be a good idea to visit the Prozinc Forum, read the stickies at the top and introduce yourself there. The members who use Prozinc are a wonderful bunch and will be glad to help in any way they can.

3. Schmill

Schmill Member

Thanks for the welcome, yes, this board is great, I've been gradually making my way though all the applicable threads reading as much as I can :)
    I've updated the signature too with the info you mentioned, so hopefully that will give people a bit more context for any conversations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.