Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KristinK21

KristinK21 Member

Ok, so my cat does not have diabetes however this is one of the only sites where i have been able to find any information about mirtazapine.
    My Nova is 14 and recently had an instance of throwing up after receiving aspirin, up until that point she was eating even after the vomiting. Well, I took her to the vet and he gave her an anti nausea med and prescribed an anti biotic as a precaution. Well, after the antibiotic she stopped eating and drinking. She went back to the vet on the 1st and she gave her subcutaneous fluids, an injection of buprenophine Hcl SR 3 mg/ml at .36 of a dose and .50 of 7.5 mg of mirtazapine. Today she has finally begun eating her regular food and drinking on her own, but I have noticed symptoms of serotonin syndrome in her - I think. She seems to be having mild tremors in her face/head. I called the vet back and told her my suspicions which she had never heard of happening before, so she looked up an antidote cyproheptadine, however, I do not want to give her any more medication if I can help it.

Does anyone know how long the mirtazapine will take to totally leave her system and if the serotonin syndrome will also disappear once the drug leaves her body. I should mention that the injection was at 11 am yesterday, I noticed these symptoms at about 8pm last night and at the time I thought they were related to the amount of stress and medication the cat had received in just a couple of days. Also it is difficult for her to sleep I think because of the tremor. Her eyes are still very dilated which I am not sure is because of the mirta or the buprenorphine, or both.

I just want her to get better and not worse, does anyone have any insight ? I am desperate

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to repost this over on the Health Forum

You'll get more eyes on it

3. KristinK21

KristinK21 Member

thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.