Hello!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cookie, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cookie

Cookie New Member

Decided to create an account here after being a lurker for a week :p

The oldest cat (Carter), 6 years ol just got diagnosed with Diabetes, his values was over 600 when we first checked up on him. Today we had a re-visit at the vet and it's down to 400+.
    - we are now upping the dosage to 2 units / 2 times / day.
    Changed the diet, change the routine, change the schedule and up before 6 am because he is starving by that time lol

Pain in the ass but do-able!

Buying our self a AlphaTrak 2 starter kit - recommendations from the vet. Anyone have experience with it?
    I was nervous enough to poke him with the insulin pen, now I need to poke him more to get the blood.

Anyway, Carter says hello. Nice place you got here!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Home testing will help you keep your cat safe. Many of us have found the costs of the AlphaTrak too expensive and chosen to use an inexpensive human glucometer such as the Target Up and Up or the Walmart Confirm instead.
    Come over the Feline Health to post more questions and read other's posts to get ideas.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Cookie likes this.
  3. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Welcome Cookie and Carter. I'm new here myself, but there are a number of discussions about the Alphatrak, here's one of the more current ones, it's in the Think Tank forum.

Cookie likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Cookie and Carter! Glad to see you've had a look around and liked what you found! It's a good group here with an immense amount of hands on experience with feline diabetes and pretty much all things "cat"!

There are a number of folks using the AlphaTrak2 meter here. I am one of them. It's a good meter, easy to use in my opinion, and gives me the ability to communicate with my vet directly without any confusion. Most folks here however use human meters which work great too but have a different reference range of numbers. SO since you have been perusing the site, I just want to caution you that all the reference numbers in the documentation here are based on human meter readings unless specifically stated otherwise and human meters read lower than the AlphaTrak2. This really doesn't matter when numbers are running high but does makes a difference when you get into the lower reading range.

The Health Forum HERE is where we post all general questions so pull up a chair, make yourselves at home and pick our collective brains to your heart's content. We love to share what we've learned! :)

Cookie likes this.
  5. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hiya Cookie and Carter:bighug: Sorry I'm late in welcoming you both! Follow the link other posters have given you, and you'll be in the thick of it, and us, in no time;)

I use a CVS meter, which is not only inexpensive, but 100 test strips will only cost 22 dollars! Nice! And I'm quite happy with it's operation so far.

Cookie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.