Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JudithB, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JudithB

JudithB New Member

I have a 12 year old female cat who has had multiple issues in her life. I got her as a kitten from the barn where I keep my horse. She was born with herpes and at 6 years old had an a cute attack of pancreatitis and was also diagnosed at the same time with Lymphoma. She was healthy until 2 years ago had another pancreatitis attack that she recovered from. This past March we did blood work and the vet said she had high thyroid so we started her on thyroid food to lower her readings. Things were going along fine till abou 6 weeks ago when she started vomiting and was not eating as well We did blood work again and it shows she has low level pancreatitis and her B12 was very low. So she has been getting b12 shots and cerenia green The vet also upped her prednisolone dose to a whole pill rather than half . I have a kit to get a urine sample as her last one showed some sugar in her urine so it is possible she may be diabetic.

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. :cat:

JudithB likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! What a pretty kitty, what's her name? Sorry she's having so many problems, but you've come to the right place. There are lots of people here with plenty experience in all things feline. You may want to post on the Health forum. There are more people watching there to help you. As far as seeing if she's diabetic, a human glucose meter is your best bet. If you can pick one up, we'll be glad to teach you how to test her. In the meantime you may want to check this out
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/a-primer-on-pancreatitis.79693/

JudithB likes this.
  4. JudithB

JudithB New Member

Thank you for the welcomes. Her name is Carrie and she is very pretty although I am biased in that regard

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Well, I have to agree with you. Carrie is very pretty!

JudithB likes this.
  6. JudithB

JudithB New Member

Thank you Sharon

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is an oral medication for hyperthyroidism called methimazole. When I had a hyper-T cat, I would dissolve the tablet in a small amount of very tasty canned food and she'd eat it right up. No pilling hassles. You might discuss trying that with your vet, as the prescription food for hyper-T is very high carb and when you combine that with a steroid, it can really ramp up the glucose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.