Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CC2016, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Hi all,
    This is such a sad day as I just found out that my soon to be 15 year old cat has diabetes. I think I am still in shock - and sticker shock as I am a student without an income right now. However, I will do whatever I have to do to get his through this. He has been with me through thick and thin and now is my time to nurse him back to the best state of health possible. I started him on the Purina ProPlan today and will be taking him in for a fructosamine test on Tuesday. Any words of wisdom on how to get through the first few weeks would be helpful. I am so grateful to have found this forum!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. What is your kitty's name? Sorry about the diagnosis, it is overwhelming at first, but you've come to the right place. We can help you take the best care of your kitty and save some money at the same time. First, there's no need for the expensive vet. prescribed food. A low carb canned food is all you need, just be sure it's a pate type food with no grains or gravy- many of us use Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies Pate. Also if you'll learn to home test his glucose with an inexpensive human meter there will be no need for expensive visits to the vet for curves or fructosamine tests. Come over to the health forum with any questions you have.

3. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Hi Sharon, thanks for your note. My cat's name is Claude - I'll post a pic soon :) I have been reading through internet posts on how to manage cats with diabetes and as much as I would like to just try diet only, I'm concerned about DKA as his bg was over 600. Being a nursing student and learning a lot about adult diabetes, this is an alarmingly high bg so I want to be as aggressive with the treatment as possible to avoid potential liver or kidney damage. Hopefully that won't take too long but I would be laden with guilt if something were to go downhill just from me trying to save $$. I'd love to hear more about everyone's experience to brace for what's to come these next few weeks. I will definitely be adding questions to the health forums so that I can make informed decisions.

4. Sharon14

Have you started insulin? If so what kind?

5. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Not yet, just the Purina ProPlan DM. I have the follow-up tests on Tuesday to figure out what insulin levels to start at. Vet is also going to give a Vitamin B injection. I looked up the research on this and it sounds like it might be helpful.

6. Sharon14

If you have a choice, ask for Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc. They are the best insulins for cats. The Lantus may seem expensive, but we order from Canada and it comes out a great value.

7. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Thanks! Yes, I have an estimate from the vet today with ProZinc just to get an idea on costing. Vet quoted $185 for the insulin with syringes. I am hoping that lasts at least one month! Does that cost sound about right?

8. Sharon14

9. Sharon14

Just saw Claude's pic- he's adorable!!!!!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are 400 units of insulin in 1 vial of ProZinc.
    Dosing 1 unit twice a day, it will provide 200 days of insulin.
    Dosing 2 units twice a day, it will provide 100 days of insulin.

To make it last, keep it refrigerated on a stationary shelf. Roll gently before drawing up a shot.

CC2016 and Sharon14 like this.
  11. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Awww, thanks! I love him to bits!! Your cat is cute, too :) This is all great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to send me those threads! Yes, I read something about buying the syringes separate and good tip on making sure that they are compatible.

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Lisa and Callie

Lisa and Callie Member

My cat received the same diagnosis this week. It's scary. The first couple of days were really bad. I changed her diet . She started vomiting and then wouldn't eat anything. My vet probably got tired of seeing and talking to me on the phone. They were very supportive. So far this weekend has been better. Good luck to you and hang in there.

13. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

L&C- I appreciate the kind words and so sorry about your cat's diagnosis. What are you feeding your cat? My cat took well to the Purina Pro Care DM. It is so $$$ though :( And of course my cat had to have all of this come up on a holiday weekend. I am itching to get back to the vet on Tuesday to get his bg curve done and vitamin B shot for his awful neuropathy which I thought was due to arthritis the whole time! I am praying that it will reverse itself.
    I'm glad to hear that your cat is doing better. Happy 4th and best of luck to you and your kitty.

14. Lisa and Callie

Lisa and Callie Member

My vet recommended the DM but it is expensive. My cat ate the DM at the vets but as soon as I got her home she stopped eating until I offered her tuna. I bought Fancy Feast and have been mixing a little of her dry indoor formula food with it because she is used to all dry food. There is a link on this site for less costly food options. I'm praying that the diabetes can be food controlled after I get her blood glucose down. It is definitely a commitment (monetary and time)but like my vet said we also have a life to live. Good luck on Tuesday. Callie goes for her curve on Wednesday. Have a great 4th .

CC2016 likes this.
  15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can feed Fancy Feast Classic pates and Friskies pates for much less than the DM. Changing Spitzer's food to the Friskies dropped his glucose by 200 mg/dL.

With a cat very resistant to wet food, you might try Evo Cat and Kitten (at specialty pet stores) or Young Again 0 (online only). Both of those are low enough to use for many cats, though some cats have spiked on the Evo - ie, you'd have to find out by using it.

CC2016 likes this.
  16. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Welcome Claude and parent!

17. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Thanks Ruby and Baco - all the way to the Netherlands, wow!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  18. Ruby&Baco

Yeah, would you believe that there are also kitties in the Netherlands that have diabetes? ;)

19. CC2016

CC2016 New Member

Haha, of course! Baco has a pretty fancy spreadsheet. Are you doing all of the blood glucose testing at home? I'm hoping that my cat Claude will not be too fussy about me doing his blood glucose bc is pricey at vet.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  20. Ruby&Baco

Thanks! Well Baco is in 2 months of insulin of the insulin! She is of the juice :p so i'm really happy.

Yes ofcourse i did everything at home, would you imagine that I let that all do at the vets? Jeez my vets bill would me huge! Haha
    I did it all at home but I did so much testing (as you can see) because the change of her going into remission was big due to steroid shots she got earlier this year, that and in combo with being overweight made her have diabetes!
    So I did everythin I could to monitor her as closely as I could although I had a fulltime job aside from 'nursing' Baco... It was a tough 2 months I can tell you that.

Well a cat can be fussy about it, Baco was fussy in the first week but she noticed that if she wasn't feeling good that her test and shot routine would make her feel better. So when she noticed that, she would wake me up in the moring (before my alarm went off) to get a test (then food) and then a shot. She would sit there waiting for it. :rolleyes: So cute! So if they notice it, most kitties are cooperating with you!

21. Ruby&Baco

Oh btw, once you set up your spreadsheet and have your BG kit let us know! Do you already ordered a testkit?
    And if you need dosing advise for prozinc you can go to the prozinc part of the forum to ask. We will help you with that as long as you collect a lot of data from your fur baby!
    The more data you collect the better we can help you with dosing advise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.