Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexandra, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Hello everybody, my name is Alexandra, and I’m a last year vet student at the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Romania. I’m doing my bachelor's degree paper on how diet affects the outcome of diabetes in diagnosed cats.

I’ve learned about this website from a friend of mine whose cat had diabetes, and she told me how useful it is and how much she learned from all of you. Unfortunately in Romania, diabetes in cats is not very well researched and most of the doctors just feed the cats dry food for diabetic cats and high doses of insulin. Plus it is very rarely diagnosed for a variety of reasons. This brings me to the reason I am here: because there is a shortage of diagnosed patients in my town, I was wondering if i can use some of your spread sheets, and if I can, could you please let me know, so I can ask you some questions? This could really help me in writing a good paper :). Thank you very much.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think it's fantastic you are focusing your study on this area of feline health! All of our spreadsheets are free to view.

You can ask me anything you'd like.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Thank you for the reply, I sent you a pm with the questions :)

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm linking this post in the other forums where it will get more views. My cat has acromegaly, so not a normal diabetic, but you're welcome to his info.

5. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I am brand new to the group but you're welcome to look at my spreadsheet. My cat was diagnosed March of this year. I completely stopped her dry food this week and her numbers are really good, I only gave 1 unit if insulin this week! We're hoping by stopping the dry food and feeding lower carb wet food that this now helps to get her completely off the insulin. This weekend will give us more information as I can get some extra tests in.

6. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Thank you very much guys, and Sharon I'm very sorry to hear about the acromegaly that complicates things for Colin and you.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you want to see the SS of a very complex diabetic who eats only low carb wet food you're welcome to look at Teasel's spreadsheet. :)

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

That's an awesome topic! Are you looking for any specific kitty scenarios? Like Sharon has an acro cat, there are some extremely well regulated cats, bouncy cats (numbers don't have much consistency), and one's that went into remission, one's that came back out? :) Maybe you can be published and send it international! :woot:

Djamila likes this.
  9. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

I'm looking for cats with uncomplicated diabetes, I'm very interested in the diet because I want to see if the data coordinates with what I found for the theoretic part of my paper. It doesn't matter if the kitty is in remission (of course it would be lovely for all if she/he is free of the juice). And I'm interested in what kind of diet was given before the diagnosis.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck!

11. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Gizmo was free fed Purina dry Indoor formula. He developed FD after a pancreatitis attack that was treated with steroids and a diet change to extremely high carb Hills k/d for ckd.

My SS has a food tab that has what I am currently feeding.

12. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Thank you very much :) I will pm you with some questions (not a lot I promise) in a few minutes.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Did you get a post over on the Main Health Forum? More traffic flows over there :)

14. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My cat would probably fall into the "uncomplicated" category. And he's on his second round of FD due in large part to a bad food choice. You're welcome to my spreadsheet, and happy to answer any questions.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there and thanks in advance for your research on this topic that is near and dear to us all here. You are welcome to look at Bubba's SS and asked any questions you have. Bubba is currently off the juice now for the 3rd time. He was knocked out of remission the first time due to a tooth with a resorption lesion and needed to be removed. The second time he was knocked out of remission due to a bad GI infection. Since then we have switched him to a raw diet, chicken and turkey and add the necessary supplements to his 6 mini meals a day.

16. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Hi Alexandra, there is a link to statistical study type of paper that links diabetic cats to a dry food (high carbohydrate) diet, as well as some other variables. I can't address how valid the results are, but overall it seems to make some sense to me but you can draw your own conclusions. You can find it here:

Environmental Risk Factors for DM in Cats

Good luck!

17. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Thank you, I will read it :)

18. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

wishing you all success in your study. Although Sootie went ahead in December, just after Christmas, you are welcome to review Sootie's spreadsheet, etc if her info will help you. Please feel free to ask any questions. Glad to help.
    Sina

19. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to know that you are doing this important research. Feel free to look at Radar's spreadsheet. He is currently on Lantus and is doing pretty well. The change in his diet as a result of all I've learned here has had a significant impact on his health and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

20. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

I also have an acro whose data might not help much, but you're welcome to use it. I make notes on what I feed him in the Remarks column. While most are abbreviated, the full name appears the first time each food is listed.

21. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi, Alexandra. I am more than happy to have you look at my cat's spreadsheet and answer any questions I can for you! I am delighted that you are doing this important research and will gladly do what I can to further it.

My kitty has uncomplicated FD and eats a pretty specific diet, as he is very carb-sensitive.

Lucy:)

22. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Hi, Alexandra! I think it's great that you're doing this study :D You're welcome to Hermione's spreadsheet, although she is a pretty bouncy kitty, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

23. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I think you are looking for a case like Yoshi's. I changed his diet and he went off insulin in a few weeks. Let me know!

24. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Only two of my 15 or so diabetic cats developed diabetes when with me. The others were adopted as already diabetic.
    For the two, both were one dry CD (urinary formulation). In retrospect, my first one, Gray Ghost, likely has acromegaly since (22 pounds) and at end of life he would not respond to even 4 units of R insulin. I know know what acromegaly is like sime by MurrFee also had it and at the end he was one 50 units insulin twice daily.

25. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome, Alexandra. With luck, your research will advance knowledge of FD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.