Help 60 bg at 7 hrs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mister's Owner, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Mister was a 256 at amps
    Almost 7he's he is 60 bg I gave a little wellness chicken .
    What's next? Plz help

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Do you have some corn syrup or pancake syrup? If so rub some in his mouth right away.

3. Mogmom and Goofus

Then if you have some high carb food, try to get him to eat some. The syrup will act quickly but the food will last longer and level him out better.

4. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Add syrup ?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

60 is still a safe number....we don't usually go for high carb or Karo until they drop below 50

If he just ate, I'd just retest him about 30 minutes after that food and see if he's coming up on his own

Ferndoc, Andy & Pimp and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

60 isn't a dangerous number. I'm not sure syrup is needed yet - start with some regular food first. But you should be prepared to test regularly in case Mister goes lower and have some syrup ready to go.

Edited to add: If you already gave a high carb food or syrup, your will probably have a high PMPS, so don't be surprised!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Mogmom and Goofus

Sorry, 70 is low on my AlphaTrak meter, didn't look to see what meter you were using. 60 is low, but not dangerously.

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

I have a low carb ..
    Wellness chicken grain free and a small amount. Its been 1 hr since food he is at 86 bg now.
    How long before retesting

9. Chris & China (GA)

I think you're good to wait and retest in an hour...he came up nicely

10. Chris & China (GA)

We usually don't pull out the high carb/Karo until they drop below 5o

If they do drop below 50, we suggest having some Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers in your "hypo kit" to use, along with Karo/honey/syrup. With the Gravy Lovers, you pop the top and then put it back and "squeeze" the gravy part into another bowl and give a teaspoon or two. The carbs are mostly in the gravy and that's usually enough to bring them up above 50 again.

Then you'd want to retest in 30 minutes to make sure they're above 50..if they are, you test again in 30 and then again an hour later (so you're testing for 2 hours after the "low" to make sure they come up and stay up)

If after the first high carb you retest and they're still below 50, you repeat the process and that 2 hours starts over again

Mister's Owner likes this.
  11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like he is coming up - great. I do wonder if he was lower at +5 or 6. It would be great if you could get some mid cycle numbers - at night or during the day- to see if you need to lower the dose, especially for pre shots near 200. He could be going low overnight and bouncing up - or not - only some numbers will give you that info.

It is great he is responding better to the insulin. It may be time to lower the dose, if only a little.

12. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

I only gave him 2.0 u tonight instead of 2.5u
    He has been bouncing a lot lately.
    I've had multiple days where he wasn't at 200bg at shot time. I usually clean for insulin money 1 day a week and it's getting hard because of his times going later. He was a 215 at pmps tonight.

Does anyone know of a way to get help with vet bill? He wants a blood test this month before I can get more insulin.
    That's 110.00 for test, 40.00 office fee, 16.00 needles, and 100.00 insulin.

They are price matching for me from online for needles and insulin but they don't do payments and by time I get wellness and insulin , testing strips and cat food for 4 other cats I just don't have the extra for testing.
    My husband is disabled and I'm also taking care of father in law with dementia , a grandbaby who is 10months old while daughter is doing senior year, my mom who is on a kangaroo pump to feed her through a g-tube and my elderly neighbor whose husband passed last summer. There is just no time or way on a fixed income. Sorry I'm a little overwelmed and worried about getting my baby his insulin :(

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It certainly sounds like you have your hands full. There is an organization called Diabetic Cats in Need you could contact. They run on a pretty thin shoestring but might have some ideas for you.

What kind of relationship do you have with the vet? Could you tell him your situation and explain the insulin alone will be a financial burden? Tell him you have a spreadsheet full of data that he could certainly use instead of doing a blood test? The good news is that his price for the insulin is pretty reasonable.

Are you keeping an eye on our Supply Closet? There were some U40 needles in there. (If your insulin is sure U40). Be sure they measure in 0.5 units. Looks like they are 29 gauge which might be a little thick for some cats, but not bother others.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/supply-closet-for-sale-or-free.15/

14. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Those are the needles I use!! Thank you ;)
    My vet has been very understanding but they said the laws have changed and he can't keep letting me get the insulin without a fructosamine and next a blood
    panel. I haven't been there since the end of Aug. .. They said one test is 110.00 and the other is 120.00. He is 13yrs. Old and I think he probably needs dental by now and that scares me. What are your thoughts on them being put under so old and healing .

I also rescued the 5th cat Jan. 10th. I knew I was beyond my means but the vet feels he was abused/ used for matting with female Siamese to make a profit.
    He had a harness digging into his skin and scarred, and he ripped a toe nail completely out of Its socket in the back..probably from breaking off the leash . It took me a month of leaving food out and an hr in the cold inching the food dish forwards me till he finally started purring away when I pet him.I finally had his trust. We got him fixed and all shots and he was treated for worms and fleas but my other 4 cats got fleas so that was another 100.00 . I'm sure everyone in this group has a big heart for multiple kitties too as well as money problems

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If Mister's teeth are in bad shape and really need a cleaning, then I would certainly consider it as it might help with his diabetes regulation. That said, I think that decision has to also take into consideration any other health issues. 13 may be a senior but he's not THAT old and I haven't seen anyone mentioning any thing about healing issues after dentals. My girl, albeit much younger, but far less regulated, went thru a dental with some extractions in January and she healed up just fine.

On the fructosamine front, I agree with Sue. Discuss this with your vet and show him your testing data. Fructosamine will only provide an average over a 2 week period while you have daily info suggesting a dose decrease may be required. Fructosamine would not tell you that so I don't think there is anything to be gained from the fructosamine testing. I'd also ask exactly what the new law is if he is won't agree to skip it.

16. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Thank you for that info!

17. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ditto. I'd actually like to see the exact wording of the legislation. If such legislation exists then unless it specifically stipulates that only a fructosamine test is acceptable as an indicator of the cat's continuing need for insulin then I don't see any reason why a solid body of home testing data and physical production of the meter with which it was measured would not constitute sufficient proof of need for further insulin treatment.

Mogs

18. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

I'm wondering if they just want money now

19. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.