Help - 95 BG this morning!?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by smiley747, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The above and underlined is the most important part of the whole article. Yes, you can start slow and do what you can. BUT, had you not tested your cat last night before you were to inject, you would have killed your cat. It cant be said any other softer way. The insulin you are using is a harsher insulin and needs to be carefully monitored. You and only you can decide how effectively you want to treat your pet. And you need to ask yourself, what is it that you need from this forum? We are all here because we love our pets and want to keep them safe and hopefully see them into remission. We would all be very remiss if we did not share what we know to help you keep Brandy safe. I hope that you understand that it is most of our intentions for just that and not to be contrary. We really do just want to help. This is being said with much love and consideration for you and Brandy.

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

@smiley747 , I am certainly not trying to drive you away or criticize your treament of your cat. I'm trying to offer you helpful advice and share what worked for me. You don't have to follow my advice if you don't want to, but I would hope you would at least consider it. I want you to do exactly what that post you quoted is saying--begin by doing whatever treatment you're comfortable/able to be doing, work on things one at a time, and consider doing more later on if you feel you are able. I don't know how else to say that to you so that you don't feel offended.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. smiley747

smiley747 Member

Though the post is old.. You are missing the point..which to me still rings true. Otherwise not sure why it would be on the home page. I found it comforting.

I use prozinc. I never heard that was harsh. Its for cats and I can not afford lantus. Lots here use it.
    I never once considered putting brandy to sleep. I did consider rehoming but i wanted to try first ..WHICH IS WHAT IM DOING. its extra hard to consider rehoming with the fact that my Molly died suddenly only a few weeks back. Thanks for all the information regardless.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Robin is really just trying to help you, truly she is not trying to add to your stress load. Just a few weeks ago, she strongly suggested someone to go out and get a meter from Walmart, that night and not to wait as he wanted to on in day off in 4 days He listened, out bought the meter and tested the cat and he did not require any insulin!! Another case of a cat that would have been dead had he not tested first. He also was using a harsh insulin and the dose way too big! His cat is off the juice now and he is one very happy man that his cat's life was saved that night. Trust me when I tell you that Robin is only trying to help you as she has helped so many people here at FDMB.

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with using Prozinc, and it's not a harsh insulin--I was urging you to NOT change from Prozinc to Novolin, which is a very harsh insulin. I think maybe there was a little confusion there in this thread.

There's no reason to switch from Prozinc until you've given it a proper chance, because it's a good insulin. I am merely suggesting that it might help reduce some of your stress to pratice testing a bit more, and get more comfortable with it as a first step to better control, and success with her treatment. That's all. It's a small step--just start with getting the preshots--you're with your cat to give her the shot anyway, why not try them more, even if you're not always successful? Then from there move on to some occasional mid-cycle tests, maybe a mini-curve on a day off. Make your husband get more comfortable doing it, too. (Mine refused to test at first--and he came around when he realized that it was unfair to make me do it alone when I really needed his help with it to get all the tests we needed.) Just work at it at your own pace and do the best you can. That is all.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh, I misunderstood from post #78 where you were talking about novolin and being cheaper and I assumed it was what you where using; had I looked in your signature, I would have seen proZinc, sorry about that. You are doing a good job, and I commend you to take on a new adopted cat and to inherit this disease. It is very admirable. Not to beat a dead horse, we are just trying to give you all the information needed for your assistance and Brandy's safety. Sending you lots of hugs because I "hear" your frustration. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may find some of the Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature helpful.
    Thirst, hunger, urination, and dehydration are some of the key features which change with the glucose levels.

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Dealing with a diabetic cat is very challenging. It is almost a year since I started the road with my Tuxie and the road has been bumpy at the best. I totally understand the quandry you are in with your newly adopted cat...to find out that you are dealing with much more than you had bargained for. Dealing with a diabetic cat take so much time and energy...and not everyone is able/capable of putting in the time that is needed. I sometimes look back after almost a year of having a kitty that because of other issues, will never be controlled let alone go into remission and I wonder???....would I have continued if I had known how rough the road would be?? Because I have been mom to Tuxie for 15 years I am able/willing to put in the extra time to try to give him a good quality of life. Not all of us are able to put that time into our kitties and no one should be criticized for that. Life happens and sometimes we make the best decisions that we can. I can see that you are doing the best you can with where you are at and that is admirable. There may be other options to find Brandy another home if this whole process is too overwhelming...which it really is in the beginning. Please keep on keeping on and do the best you can..if you can't deal with it then there is nothing negative about admitting that. I gave up having a life almost a year ago...I was newly retied so it worked for me...not everyone can do the crazy hours but those who are replying are not criticizing you, they are only trying to help your kitty to have a good/better life. Keep on keeping on and keep trying because you DO care!! :bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba and smiley747 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.