Help! Anyone awake?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Michele Raye, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

Our cat typically gets 3U of Prozinc at 7 and 7. We forgot his 7pm shot. We have NEVER done this before. His number right now at +4 without meds is 452. What do we do? His next shot is at 7am and he is suppose to eat again around 12am.

Thanks

2. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

5 hours overdue. It's midnight right now.

3. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

Hello. I'm awake but newer person here. But my kitty has had BG readings this high and I don't think there's anything to get too worried about. Just give him his next shot at the appropriate next scheduled time.

This has happened to my kitty when I give him a "fur shot" or when he learned how to get into my other cat's food.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't give him a shot now as you will be way off schedule. Just treat it as a fur shot and give him his next scheduled shot which is due at 7am.
    He will be higher than normal but he will be alright.
    Looking at your SS it doesn't look like you test before all the preshots.
    I would strongly recommend you always test before every shot of insulin to see that is is safe to shoot.

Michele Raye likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Michele! Sorry we weren't around. This forum is pretty quiet most late nights as we're mostly in the US.

You got good advice already to not shoot. When that happens, just think of it like a fur shot. I've completely forgotten to give a shot in the past myself. It happens!

As Bron said above, it is super important to test before every shot. Otherwise, you have no way of knowing if it's safe to give a shot, and you won't know what effect the shot is having on your kitty. Is there any way you can test before each shot?

Michele Raye likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yeah at that point you just have to wait.

7. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

thank you, we did end of waiting and not giving the shot. We are having a hard time testing him, yesterday he actually got a cut on his ear because he moved and it bled for close to 20 minutes. We were trying to do our first curve yesterday, yesterday turned out to be a bad day. );

8. JanetNJ

Sorry you had a rough time if it. A little neosporin on the ear can help.

Michele Raye likes this.
  9. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

He just hates being tested! He doesn't mind the injections but the ear thing is a whole different battle. We are getting scratched and he normally has such a sweet disposition. He just really doesn't like it. We will try to get into the habit of testing before each shot but so far his numbers haven't changed enough to not give the shot so I figured we were okay giving him a break from them. He also recently started pooping in the dining room which is where he lays. He will go to the cat box to urinate but in the last three to four days he won't go to poop. His neuropathy is really not good, I have debated putting a cat box in the dining room but then I worried he won't be walking at all....he has been on zobaline for two months, twice a day. Feeling very overwhelmed!

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi Michele -- I'm so sorry about the neuropathy! Josie has that, too, and it's just so sad to watch them gimp about. :(

I wonder if Tiger's box has high sides? We had one with very high sides before, but got J one with lower sides when her leg weakness started. She has a much easier time getting in/out of it (and thus keeps using it).

Re: the testing, Josie bit and scratched our first curve, too, and so we started wrapping her up in a towel (self preservation!). Within a week, she turned into one of those purring cats you see on the videos, and she now goes and sits on her towel to get wrapped for her test when we call her for it. (It's ridiculous, really. :) ) I do truly think it was a matter of being consistent and committed. We *pretended* we were confident, and the next thing we knew, we actually were!

Also, bribes helped tremendously. Djamila suggested the freeze-dried minnows for test bribe/reward, and J is a fool for them. We cut up one and give her half before, half after, and she doesn't get them at any other time, so that has bookmarked the testing with something she really likes.

11. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

He likes his treats but I don't think the treats are helping because they are probably not healthy. And then the testing goes on for longer then expected, his ear gets cut and he ends up scoring way more treats then he should! Mama guilt pays big time...need to work on this!

12. Michele Raye

Michele Raye Member

13. JanetNJ

Low carb treats. Deli meats with no fillers, fresh chicken, tuna, freeze dried meats, catnip. No party mix or temptations ect

14. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, it seems that lower entrance might help, or even something like this (if it's big enough; I can't find dimensions): rF35HcC7c0EIs8YZ5ARCdIpKPFHnOXM8haPzxB1tgEUoiiOtrMYlrIU4MKb8bRBoICR_Tdcbbqs5D1ZBJwd4aH-Dj3n9HnqvPD9rd7v9mcidJQQgilf1wp5pTACjn6Ae7VkARpw7yg-zXmyQwMy0YveoeyLdAwTseud_KS9Qf_hSeeXhV3b8O08rYfNvbro8UNjOSGT32RUT7zlMycM=s1600-pd-e365-pc0xffffff

(Sorry for the long URL!)

Josie has always had a tendency to be *in* the box but to leave her hind end hanging over the edge (which kind of defeats the purpose, LOL! and is why we got her a high-sided box to begin with), and so I got one of those inexpensive, very slightly padded table pads to put under her box. It's vinyl on one side, slightly fuzzy on the other, and can be cut with regular scissors to fit the area to cover around the outside edges of the box in case she doesn't quite . . . um, aim properly, I guess.

Re: wrapping Tiger up with just one pair of hands, I take a regular kitchen/hand towel and wrap it around J from the front, pretty much like a bib. That gets her front half pretty well contained, and then she lies down (!) on the towel, and I wrap up the rest of her. That gets her swaddled up pretty good, and then I kneel over her (it's not very ladylike, but it works!), and she just lies there and purrs, waiting for her minnow. I know for a fact that the more sticks, the better the ears bleed and so the quicker/easier the whole process is. (I know this bc I am right-handed and so tend to stick her right ear more. Her left ear, consequently, doesn't bleed as well, but we are working on it!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.