? Help Anyone know a substitution for the Pet-tinic? It's to treat her anemia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

The pet-tinic has corn syrup, sugar, sucrose...already getting higher numbers from steroid. Or do I just give it to her and increase insulin. I know the anemia comes first over the diabetes right? Or should I just feed her chicken or beef liver?

2. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

Liqui-Tinic is very similar but without the corn syrup. Some vets carry it but I had a hard time finding it locally and ended up getting it on Amazon. Other online suppliers have it as well. It's a good iron supplement.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  3. Phoebes (GA)

Ty :)

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I have a crazy story about my cat Sheba when I was a child. Sheba was a Siamese & for some reason my mom fed her cut up raw beef liver every day of her life, along with Purina kibble. We all were grossed out by; it but eventually I helped my mom cut it up. That cat was never sick & lived till over 18 years. She was so mean though, my mom always said she was too mean to get sick or die!!!lol well the proof is in the pudding... or in this case, the liver!!! Also I was anemic with my first child; pregnancy & my doctor said... yes take iron supplements but some liver would help too. It worked & yes I like my liver & onions I made. So I do think the raw liver cut up & fed a few times a week would def. help! Have a great Saturday Angela & sweet Phoebes!!

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Does Phoebes' vet have any idea of the cause of the anemia?
    The SS LAB results for 9/28/2018 shows a HCT of 27% which is not that bad all for an old cat. THe WBC count for those results and earlier show them to be elevated which indicates an infection.

6. Phoebes (GA)

I haven't gotten the new numbers put in from fri, but her RBC was 24. We have been treating her with chrombucil for what my vet believes is lymphoma or leukemia. We do not know the reas on as yet what is causing the anemia. We go back in 10-14 days for another cbc. To see if the supplement helps.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would also ask for the CBC (complete blood count) to include a reticulocyte count. Reticulocyte are immature RBCs and the count will help determine if the anemia is regenerative (the bone marrow/kidneys are responding to anemia and producing more RBCs or non-regenerative (the body is not producing more RBCs in response to the anemia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.