Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Adrienne & Molly, Apr 28, 2019.
Thread from previous threads
Just responding to get notifications.
Molly’s numbers are lower tonight
Well isn't that interesting and nice to see. I wonder how low she went today. I hate to say it, but getting that mid cycle day test at this point in time would be really helpful. I know it's a royal PIA but keeping Molly safe is paramount and obviously she has changed her tune again. I agree with the skip tonight and will be looking forward to seeing where she is in the AM. Get that before bed test too.
Yes, I’m kicking myself not doing the mid day test. Happy to see the numbers. I’ll test before bedtime. She’s not that hungry but playful
Not surprised that she is not very hungry. Lower BG generally leads to lower appetite as kitty gets regulated. And the playful is a wonderful sign that she is feeling good in those lower numbers.
I hope this continues
Hurrah for Molly & Mom! M'row loves his ff classic pates too.
A drop of insulin this morning? @MrWorfMen's Mom
Yes I'd give the drop but test at lunch time and leave some LC food out for her to munch in your absence.
Should I give a drop of insulin this morning?
HMMMM! It's a bit of toss up but I'd be inclined to skip this morning only because she dropped to 88 at pre-shot the other day on a drop dose from a higher pre-shot and you won't be there to test until half way through the cycle. Just not sure what she has up her sleeve right now.
Ok that’s why I asked. Had a feeling not to give her insulin this morning. But I’ll test her at lunch time. I changed her food to the FF turkey. You think that makes a difference?
I wouldn't expect the food change to make much difference (carb levels are pretty similar) but then I seem to recall someone here mentioning their cat seemed to go higher when eating beef so who know. I think it's a case of ECID (every cat is different) and all you can do is track it to see if it is in fact making a difference.
She’s lower when I tested at lunch. Fed her FF
Well aren't we glad we decided to skip the AM shot! Go Molly! Appears she may be getting her pancreas "in tune". Loving that 3.9 this afternoon! Anxious to see what she does for PMPS tonight!
ETA So glad you got that lunch time test despite skipping this AM. Very useful info!
Happy that we skipped this morning. But kinda scary to what if I didn't skip the dose! I'm anxious to see what this evening will be. I hope it's not high like it's been going. She ate a good lunch so hopefully all good!
I'm glad I tested at lunch time too
I was really flip flopping this morning about whether you should or shouldn't shoot but safety concerns based on what she did the other day and inability to monitor closely won out over "let's get her used to being in nice green numbers." It would be wonderful to see her surf along in the green for awhile and still be in green or blue for tonight. Fingers crossed!
7.3 should I shoot?
Let's skip tonight and get a test +3 after she eats to see what her BG is. If her BG has gone down at +3, then her pancreas is working. Maybe not up to 100% but still working and that is a good sign. I think we have to be conservative with your little cutie right now to figure out her next move.
Higher at +3
Do I shoot this morning?
I think she is just bouncing again from that low in the day cycle yesterday. Not to worry. Molly comes out of bounces pretty quickly. I think you can give her the drop dose today but leave food out and definitely test her at lunch time.
I assume a drop for tonight?
Yes and get the before bed test.
Molly likes teasing us these days. I am going to suggest skipping this morning because of that nice run of yellows again. Let's see if she breaks that bounce/can pull herself down today without the shot. The weekend is coming and you can experiment more then if you'll be around to monitor her.
I figured with the yellow. To skip this morning! Depending on her numbers tomorrow. Do I increase her insulin?
Molly is holding her cards close to her chest so I think we just play this by ear but if you can monitor over the weekend, then you can try being a little more aggressive with dosing to see what she does if her numbers are staying in the upper blues and yellows.
Insulin for tonight?
How desperate are you for sleep? I'm thinking if that yellow breaks tonight, she might go lower and need more monitoring later into the cycle. You can give her a drop but I'd personally want to check her at +3 and again a bit later if that +3 is down at all.
It's up to you. You can skip and see if she comes down herself or experiment a bit to see what she does. No right or wrong answer here.
I don’t know what to do?
Ok let's leave her be tonight and skip. You get a good rest and we'll see what she's done in the AM. I am just concerned she could end that yellow streak in the middle of the night. She has a habit of holding those yellow streaks for more than a cycle and she's making it harder to second guess her right now.
Ok do I still test her at +3 tonight
Oh yes, please do test her before bed. We need to track that little cutie and see what she is up to insulin or not!
Drop this morning or increase?
If you can test as needed, let's try the 0.10 dose again and see if she comes down. Get a test at +3 and we'll see where she is heading from there.
Just to be on the safe side, make sure you have plenty of strips and some higher carb food in case Molly decides to pull any stunts. I don't think she will but I always prefer to be well prepared.
I hope she doesn’t, but I have lots of strips and higher carb food
Test at +6?
Yes a +6 will be fine. If she is still yellow by then, I'd grab a +9. If she's come down at all at +6, then you may need to test sooner.
Ok, She was pretty hungry this morning.
That's interesting. I wonder if the fact she's been sitting in the yellows for a few days is causing her to be hungrier. Just guessing!
.10 for tonight too? She hasn’t moved much today in numbers
I gave her .10
Sorry Adrienne. Just realized the time. Good choice on dose. Get the +3 test and if Molly had dropped into the blue range then give her some food and set the alarm to test her again within a couple of hours. If need be you can give her higher carb food to slow her down but if she is dropping, test her again to be sure the drop has stopped. You likely won't need any of this, but just in case.....
It’s ok Linda I was hoping. It was the right chose on dosage.
Really don’t understand the BG this morning?
What is her BG? Can't see it on spreadsheet.
Ok I see it now. It looks like the little monkey is bouncing again. Go with the 0.10u again and do the usual testing at +3 and +6 to track her although she may stay higher today. She went lower last night finally and is just reacting. It's frustrating but it's normal.
Continue with the .10?
Yes I think Molly should be fine with 0.10u dose but get that +3 and if she has dropped significantly, give her a snack with a little higher carb mixed and retest an hour later.
Molly’s numbers are staying the same. Still continue with the .10 this morning?
Yes I would continue with the 0.10u and leave food food to eat until lunch time test and leave another snack out for her this afternoon too. She is being a little puzzle right now!
I'm still checking in periodically, Adrienne. I still feel the need for a break from the forum. I'm glad Linda is here to help.
@Kris & Teasel Good to see you. We've missed you but I certainly understand the need for a break!
I’ve missed you on here Kris. Happy to see you’re still checking in
Good morning ladies, do I still continue with the .10 this morning?
I think you can go ahead with the 0.10u this morning (BG not much different from last night), test at lunch time (noticed earlier test yesterday.....scheduling issue with work I presume?). As usual, leave food out for Molly both morning and afternoon. If mid cycle test is down a fair bit, you can always mix a bit of the S/O or other higher carb food in to the mix for the afternoon.
I put yesterday’s in the wrong time slot. Moved it to +6 . It’s nice to see the blue numbers for once.
Oh.....I thought perhaps you scooted out early because of some other business commitment and thought what dedication....Molly is lucky to have you!
Well why the higher numbers on .10?
It can be very hard to find a reason, Adrienne. It's quite common for the insulin dose to drift up and down over time. Teasel has been getting doses from a fat 1.0 u to a skinny 1.5 u for over a year.
Should I bump up the dosage tomorrow?
Yes if Molly's BG stays in the same range as now, then an increase to 0.25u would be in order as long as you can monitor her. As Kris said, it's common to have the dose bounce up and down a bit so be patient.
She was really hungry this morning. I have a feeling her BG will be in the blues lunch time. See what her BG is tomorrow, I'll be home all day so I can monitor her. Have to prepare Molly for her first camping trip next weekend! DH is very nervous about it
Molly will be fine on the camping trip. You have her well housed (I loved the tent house you got her!) and that will keep her safe. Besides she'll be with her favourite peeps!
Sorry she didn't offer up the blue you were hoping for but she'll get there again very soon!
Just worried she’ll get stressed. Being away from home.
Should I increase her dose this morning?
Yes I'd increase her to 0.25u and start monitoring her at +3. She may not move too much today while the depot gets filled up so other testing today will have to depend on what she does as you go along. If she hasn't dropped much or at all at +3 grab a +6.
I love @MrWorfMen's Mom!
You are doing a great job, Adrienne!
Molly and I had a big day. She spent most of the day in the camper. She really enjoyed it. Looks like she may enjoying camping next weekend.
A little concerned. Have increased her dose to .25 and nothing has changed? From when she was .10 what’s going on?
It takes a few cycles/days to get the depot filled up to the current dose as Molly demonstrated this morning. Let's see where she's at tonight. If you can test her around lunch time it will give us an idea of what she is doing with the skipped shot today.
I would give her 0.10u again now as she earned the reduction again. She is bouncing tonight but that is to be expected. Let's see what she does with the lower dose again.
Continue with the .10 I presume?
You got it!
Molly was sick this morning. But she ate again afterwards. Nothing to be worried about?
Sorry just seeing this now. If she ate again right afterwards, she would be fine as long as she kept the food down.
She did and she’s in the blue tonight. Continue with the .10?
Yes, continue with the 0.10u. She's coming out of the latest bounce a little quicker by the looks of it. Hopefully the lower dose sticks a little better this time.
I hope so fingers crossed
Why the pink?
Not sure. Could be that she went lower overnight and it's a bounce. I wouldn't worry about it. Molly tends to throw those into the mix every so often but they don't stick so just chalk it up to one of those mysteries for which you probably will never get an answer.
Hi Linda, just wondering if you have seen my posts and private messages, sorry to post it here, but haven't heard from you
Today’s the big day, Molly’s first trip camping
I'm sure Molly will be fine and enjoy the great outdoors. Make sure you have lots of test strips/lancets, and take some honey or karo and higher carb food with you in Molly's kit. While I'm sure you won't need any of these extra supplies, it's better to ward off Murphy up front and be prepared for anything especially when out communing with nature. Have a wonderful weekend!
Enjoy your camping!
I have everything packed as mentioned. I’ll take some pictures to post! Happy Maylong weekend
Do you think I should skip this morning?
It's really a toss up. If you are ok keeping an eye on her until at least +6 or so then I'd say shoot. If you have other plans that will prevent you from monitoring her, then skip. You shot 146 before (on 23Apr) and while Molly stayed in safe numbers, she did go right to the edge of needing some intervention....lower than she usually does. I think you are fine to shoot but it is the long weekend and a get away for all of you so either decision is fine.
I gave her insulin and will check at +3 She must like camping
I'm guessing that "+9" is a typo. I'd check her by +3 for starters. She obviously isn't stressed at all!
lol yes a typo I fixed it . No good sign she’s not stressed
Looks like Molly had a good weekend! How about you? Did you enjoy your time away with your favourite furry friend along?
Yes, more relaxed worried at first. But she seemed to like camping. She’s played out been sleeping all afternoon.
Should I increase dose Saturday?
Since she hit the blues again tonight, I think it best to hold judgement on the increase until we see what she does tonight and tomorrow AM. It was definitely looking like she was in need of an increase but she's obviously coming down some on her own now. The question is how much she will come down. She's a bit of a head scratcher and obviously bouncy and takes a bit of time to come down.
Separate names with a comma.