help help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by susan k rupel, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

how long does it take to get a cat with diabetes regulated and why does her bg keep going up.does anyone know how much a blood curve test costs?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, I see you had another thread in the Health forum and you can ask any and all questions there. There are lots of reasons why BG levels can go up so please post over on your other thread or start a new one over on Health and you will get much more assistance. I have never done a curve at the vet's office as I do home testing so I can't answer that question for you.

3. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

thanks for your help.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It can take days, weeks or even months to get regulated. Think about it in terms of diabetic humans. Just because you are diagnosed and start insulin, doesn't mean you are immediately regulated. There are many factors that go into this, diet change, lifestyle changes, activity level changes, weight loss, etc. It's the same with cats.

The goal is to change the diet to low carb wet food, home test, give insulin and most importantly have patience. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Blood curve tests range in price from vet to vet and location. Honestly, if you are home testing, you don't need to spend the money having a vet do it. It's not going to be as accurate as home testing - why? Simply, because the cat is not in their home environment, vet stress and other factors can artificially inflate the numbers by 100 points or more.

If you want to do a curve, which honestly isn't always necessary and certainly not a a requirement. Do it at home. It's simply testing the cat every 2 hours over a 12 hour period.

It's great to collect data, but again, depending on your situation, it can be excessive and unnecessary, even stressful for you and the cat. I never push the need to do a curve, instead I always recommend that once you have a handle on home testing, frequency of testing is key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.