Help! Human meter or pet meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Smoky, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I picked up smoky from the animal hospital at 4:30 pm today. The vet showed me how to home test and his BG at the vet's office was 250! Now he was given 1 unit of vetsulin at 7:30 am today. I don't think he had eaten for a while because he was really hungry when I got him home and fed him. The vet suggested giving him 1 and a half units of insulin for a few days to see how he does. I used a relion meter but vet said I shld use a pet meter for better accuracy. I can't afford to buy a pet meter or the test strips. Is there a way to convert a reading from a human meter? I could really use some advice.

2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Many people use human meters and it is perfectly fine to use.... I do not give dosing advice but I will bump this up because we suggest only increasing by .25 and hold for 6 cycles (a cycle is 12 hours) All meters have about a 20% variance. There is tons of info on the home page in the "stickys"
    Vetsulin is a little bit of a harsher insulin and they must eat a good meal before injecting. I am so happy you are testing and your vet sounds very good to have shown you how!
    This will bump up for more experienced eyes to help you.....:bighug:
    @Chris & China

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't start at 1.5.....being that a lot of cats react to being at the vet by having their blood glucose go up (due to stress), that 250 is actually a pretty good number!!

I don't use Vetsulin and never have, but I wouldn't suggest starting at over .5 unit considering 250 isn't very high...and if you can't test at home yet, I wouldn't give any tonight!!

We usually don't shoot at all if they're under 200

There's no reason you need to get a pet meter...most people here use human meters and we do just fine with them. The main difference is that when the cat drops below 50 on a human meter, that's your "Time to act" by feeding something high carb or giving a couple drops of Karo, honey or syrup

On a pet meter, if they drop below 68 that's your "time to act"

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

We would be happy to give dosing advice but you'll need to post your numbers. Can you set up a spreadsheet? There are folks that can help with that if you need it.

If the cost for a pet meter is prohibitive then just use a human one with the understanding that it reads lower them a pet meter. Most people on this board use human meters.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  6. jacereske

jacereske Member

Hi Lisa,

I am still learning, so I can't give advice. But I want to wish you and Smoky well.

Jewanette

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.