Help hypoglycemic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mtrom80, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Hello my cat Tigger (7 years old) was diagnosed 4 weeks ago....working with a vet to get under control...this week he has not been himself...got tested today and is hypoglycemic....pretty serious...sugars dropped to 20 at the vet....currently giving kitten food mixed with karo syrup every hour as ordered via syringe. My question is how soon should I see an improvement...he has been home since 5 and still lethargic....not drinking and stomach seems big....help!!!!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Go to thread tools top left and add the 911 icon to your thread title immediately....will draw more attention quicker

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Which insulin are you using? How much have you been giving? What is the BG now?

4. Beth 73

Top right...sorry for mix up

5. Beth 73

6. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Novolin....was told 5 units because of his sugar level....not sure on current bg don't have a test kit...when we left the vet he was at 60 with giving kitten food and 2 TBS corn syrup every hour

7. tiffmaxee

Do you live close to a Walmart? You can get a Relion human monitor to test his levels. Much cheaper than a pet meter and thevatrips are less than half. That BG is dangerously low. I've never used anything but lantus insulin. This sounds very serious. Can you go to the ER?

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you saying your vet sent you home when the BSL was 60 and you are not testing??.
    It is very hard to advice if we do not know the BSL, but to keep him safe I would keep giving him food and Karo.
    Do you have any higher carb food? Food that has gravy....?
    Will he eat on his own?
    Can you send someone out to buy a testing kit? Do not go yourself and leave him alone

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree....if there's any way you can go to the vet, that's where he needs to be.....I can't believe your vet sent him home after that low of a blood glucose

Without being able to test, it's impossible to know if he's lethargic due to being too low or if he's running high now and the ups and downs of the day are causing it

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

5 units is way too much insulin to start off with. I would not give any more insulin until you are able to test the blood sugar and see what it is. And when you do start insulin again I would start off at 1 unit and post here for help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Home alone with 2 sleeping toddlers..yes vet sent me home at 60 with kitten food...and karo syrup...never advised to get testing kit...he will not eat on his own...not drinking

12. Chris & China (GA)

Any chance you have a friend, neighbor or relative that could get you a test kit at WalMart and bring it to you?

13. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

5 units is what the vet had us on...started at 3...went to 4 then 5....told us to come back in 2 weeks for recheck...after a week at 5 he began getting lethargic....didn't put the prices together until today...I feel like a horrible pet mom right now....I just followed what I was told and am scared for my boy

14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I would not leave your kitty alone... can a friend bring the kitty to ER?

15. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Was instructed no more insulin until Tuesday

16. jayla-n-Drevon

Or can a friend watch the kids and your go to ER with your kitty-

17. Chris & China (GA)

Your not alone......we hear the same story from a LOT of people here!! You're in the right place now and we'll help you all we can!! As pet owners, we trust that our vets are telling us the right stuff so it's not your fault in any way!! For now, we just want to make sure he's safe tonight

18. jayla-n-Drevon

You are not a horrible mom--you are seeking help and the doctor should be held accountable ...

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Agreed! Your kitty MUST be seen by a vet.

20. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Why would the vet let him leave if it was so low?

21. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

He was at the vet from 11 am to 5 pm

22. jayla-n-Drevon

Many vets are ignorant to feline diabetes but I cannot imagine why this vet let you leave with glucose that low....
    Right now lets focus on getting your baby safe and find a new vet later....

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Kris & Teasel

Good question.
    When was his last insulin dose given? Was it 5 units?

24. Chris & China (GA)

60 itself isn't too low...but anytime a cat drops into the 20's, that's dangerously low....especially if it was on a pet meter!!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  25. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

1030 this morning yes 5 units....he ate less than a quarter cup of food and we gave him his meds

26. Kris & Teasel

What reason did the vet give for saying this?

27. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Yeah 20 was taken at the vets office

28. tiffmaxee

You need to find out what the BG is now. All the karo could be making him feel sick and make his BG soar but there is no way to know. The vet should not have sent him home with those instructions and no way to know how he is handling this.

29. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

She is thinking he is not insulin dependent now...we switched him to a new food...numbers went down she increased to 5 and then he crashed

30. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

He is awake now....mad at me cause he is locked in a large dog crate with a bed, food, water and, litter as the vet recommended

31. Kris & Teasel

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Kris & Teasel

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. Do you mean, the vet thinks he's not insulin dependent because he crashed at 5 units? It's far more likely that the 5 unit dose is the problem - far too high.

33. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Yes you have it correct....was told to do it hourly if he is lethargic...if I am not messing with him he is sleeping

34. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Yeah....crazy...I need a new vet ASAP

35. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

He has used the litter box once since we have been home...did both with some diarrhea

36. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Last feeding was at 11....should I skip the 12?

37. Kris & Teasel

I would stop the karo syrup for sure. Is he accepting these feedings willingly? If he's not hungry I suggest skipping the 12.

BTW - 2 TBSP of corn syrup every hour is a LOT of sugar! He might well be at very high BG levels. You're in a tricky situation here that can only begin to be unravelled if you can get some blood glucose testing done.

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. jayla-n-Drevon

I am actually happy to hear he is "mad" hopefully the insulin is wearing off.... I am even happier to hear you are finding a new vet-
    This vet should be reported.... it is only a matter of time before she gives this dangerous advice again.
    Tigger is lucky to have you watching him closely .....

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  39. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have a friend or neighbour who is a diabetic? I'm thinking they could run their meter over to you and test.

40. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Well he is sleeping again....not trying to get out of the cage

41. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

No I don't know anyone that is diabetic.

42. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

I know he isn't feeling well...he hasn't groomed since we have been home...food has gotten on him (that I washed off) and he just lays down

43. Kris & Teasel

If you can't get your hands on a glucometer and you can't get him to a vet, you can do the following:
    1. stop the karo syrup
    2. feed him regular low carb wet food if you have it in small amounts if he wants to eat later
    3. keep an eye on him as much as you can
    4. if he still looks ill in the morning, call an ER vet for advice before giving any insulin
    5. go buy a human BG meter ASAP
    6. come back here for more help/info.

44. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

He sits in front of me and doest fight...turns his head and takes the food as I slowly push it .

45. jayla-n-Drevon

Tigger sounds like a sweetheart

46. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Already was instructed no insulin until Tuesday when she wants to see him again....I'm looking for a new vet monday...will offer him diabetic wet food later tonight...my concern is he hasn't drank and his belly is bigger

47. Chris & China (GA)

I'm betting your vet sent him home because it's Saturday night and they don't have 24 hour coverage and didn't want to stay late :mad:

In which case it's probably better that you did bring him home so at least he's got someone keeping an eye on him!!

If he's been getting that much Karo, he's probably high now.....also, when they go that low, their liver usually responds by releasing stored sugar and hormones to bring them back up quickly (we call it bouncing)

I agree ....stop the Karo and offer him some canned food and just keep an eye on him overnight.....it's about all you can do (and for tonight only, if he's a kibble addict, I'd leave him a little kibble....we can get him off the high carb foods when you're able to test!

48. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

He is....he lays on his back and kneeds the air while my 3 yo rubs his belly

49. Kris & Teasel

If his BG has shot up because of the syrup he could be making ketones that are a sign of what could be the onset of ketoacidosis. This is a serious issue. I'm sorry to say something frightening but this problem can arise quickly sometimes. If you can't take the cat to the vet, can you call an ER vet and ask for advice? Tell them what you told us.

50. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

In the cage he has diabetic dry food water litter and a bed...if he gets under my bed I can't get him out...hence the dog crate...

51. Kris & Teasel

You've probably had to add water to the kitten food + karo to syringe feed. That will help. If you feed any other wet food add a little warm water to it to keep him hydrated.

52. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Yes I will call....why in the world didn't I think to call an emergency vet.....okay this mommy's brain is obviously not working...thank you for the common sense solution ....(as I slap my forehead lol)

53. Beth 73

You are in wonderful hands with these kitty guardian angels.....praying for you and Tigger:bighug::bighug::bighug:

54. jayla-n-Drevon

What state are you in ?
    City ?
    Maybe someone can help you from the forum.
    You can just say your state and if anyone is in that state they can send you a message privately

55. jayla-n-Drevon

You have lots on your plate and your doing great :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Chris & China (GA)

It's not important tonight, but there are much better foods to feed a diabetic.....the "diabetic" dry is actually too high in carbs for a diabetic!! I'm really glad you're going to find another vet....hopefully you'll find one that knows more about treating feline diabetes

We have time to teach you more about the right way to feed when this crisis is over though so don't worry about it now

57. Kris & Teasel

Have to sign off now. Good luck.

jayla-n-Drevon and Mtrom80 like this.
  58. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Thanks for your help

59. tiffmaxee

I couldn't get my cats out from under my bed either. I bought wood risers from Bedbath n beyond so I could crawl under and get them out if needed.

60. jayla-n-Drevon

Praying for Tigger and for you.
    Your in good hands :bighug::bighug:

61. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Do give a holler if you have any questions or concerns. There's usually someone around. As the west coast goes to bed, Europe and the UK wake up. Hope you get some sleep tonight and Tigger feels better soon.

62. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Thanks all...he is acting much better....after he got some rest and diabetic wet food this morning he is grooming and terrorizing his playmate!!! I plan to give wet food twice a day and dry food inbetween..all diabetic... will search for a new vet and invest in a monitor asap! Thanks for reassuring me last night!

63. Mtrom80

Mtrom80 Member

Our bed has drawers under it....and has just enough room for a cat lol...we took the mattress off aND attempted to block the hole but they found a way in lol..we have to try something else to block access!

64. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

That is really, really good to hear! I've been following along hoping for the best, but did not post as my cat and I are newcomers. We are in very good hands here. I have learned so much from everyone and they have helped me keep Uncle safe. Tigger is a cutie pie!

Nat & Fluffy and Critter Mom like this.
  65. Kris & Teasel

I'm really glad to read this!!! Come back here for help anytime. :D

66. jayla-n-Drevon

very good to see this--thank you for the update:bighug:

67. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

Glad Tigger is doing better x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.