HELP..I need to switch insulin but to what?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by jazzyjane1013, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzyjane1013

jazzyjane1013 New Member

My name is Sammy, I have been a diabetic for 2 years now. I am on two shots daily of Vetsulin, 3 units with each shot. My problem is this...Vetsulin has been taken off the market (but it has worked fine for me) and now I need to find an insulin that works for me. Problem is, I also need to find a new vet since we just moved. Who do I trust especially with my diabetes! What has worked for my fellow Catsters that were on Vetsulin and then had to start on a new insulin. How was the transition and what did you have to go through? Just not sure how to handle all of this! Please help....cause I am feeling good right now and I hate to have to be sick again trying to find the right solution.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

welcome --
    I transitioned:
    Norton from Humulin N to PZI
    Tiggy from PZI to Levemir
    Rusty from Lantus to Levemir

So -- I have a strong preference for Levemir. It is very similar to Lantus in action, but more stable / less fragile (lasts longer before the cartridge goes bad).

Each transition was very easy -- no troubles at all. We started the new insulin on a Saturday morning when we were going to be home to watch all day/weekend.

Where do you live? (city/state/province) Maybe someone has a vet recommendation.

phoebe

3. jazzyjane1013

jazzyjane1013 New Member

Thanks Phoebe and friends!!
    We just moved to NC from Ohio. I have not found a vet yet that I really like...I'm glad to hear that your transistion went well.
    I intervied one vet and he suggest Humulin 100 which is what my diabetic dog is taking..yes, I have a dog and cat both diabetic! But not sure if I like the idea just because it would be an easy fix for me to have them both on the same insulin. But is that really the correct thing to do?? Plus this vet did not make it seem like a big deal, was not even interested in checking glucose levels so that is what threw the red flag up for me! Sammy is 16 yo and I am not looking to cause my senior kitty any problems. Do you know much about home testing? Maybe I should have a baseline first to be able to transistion better. Just thinking outloud...

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I like Levemir as well. I switched Shadoe from Caninsulin to Lantus then Levemir, and I switched Oliver from Lantus to Levemir.

I think you would be more than happy with Levemir for your Sammy.It's long lasting, gentle, and does not go bad as quickly as Lantus. I think the one that new vet is recommending is not as long lasting, so why switch to one, then find you need to switch again?

There are many people on this site using both Lantus and Levemir, so you would have a great deal of support.

As for the vet you finally choose, so long as you have some support in YOUR decisions, that's all that matters. My vet said nothing about home testing, but I don't care. I know that it's vital to the safety of my cats so I test regardless of what my vet says. The vet to me is for meds, and dentals, and blood work, and stuff like Xrays and u/s which I can't do at home. Otherwise, I do what I feel is right.
    Best of luck in your search for a vet with which you are comfortable.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm with Phoebe, I transitioned all my PZI cats to Levemir and loved it. My one Vetsulin cat would have gone to Lev, but he went into remission.

Most of the folks on this site hometest, so if you have questions about how to, just ask, if you're already doing, then great, that's fantastic.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Humulin N is NOT a great insulin for cats. It is "adequate" and the cat is "unprotected" (feeling yucky) for several hours before each shot.

You can just tell your new vet that you need a prescription for insulin --

specify: Levemir in 5-pack 3ml cartridges or Lantus in 5-pack 3ml cartridges for pen.

We don't use the pen, but regular insulin syringes with the 3ml cartridges.

Lantus and Levemir act nearly the same in cats -- two exceptions are why I prefer Levemir.

Lantus stings when injected cold. (according to a human diabetic)

Lantus is more fragile than Levemir -- it may break down before the cartridge is used up, and some has to be thrown out.
    so... Levemir lasts longer.

Levemir is slightly more expensive than Lantus, but worth it to me.

Also -- I get mine in Canada. My last 5 pack cost $120 at a Walmart in Ontario. and that 5-pack will last over a year for my two diabetics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.