HELP!! Is there anyone who can help over on PZI?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buff-puff, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Edited: Gave her normal dose of 2u.

Edited: Should I give another .5?

I'll remove 911.

Here:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14165&p=143857#p143857

Bottom posts - Gator/H and Lori/Tom advising me on what to do if Buffy's numbers are high this morning, but I'm confused...

She is 482 PS, but that's 20 minutes after eating almost an entire can of FF Chicken and Liver.

I need to give insulin now, but do I give normal 2u or 2.5u as suggested?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You have a high BG this morning, I would listen to Lori and Tom and raise the dose to 2.5U. You haven't had major drops in BGs that I would worry about rebound just yet, but do test the BGs today and see what happens.

3. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

We crossed in posting. I've just dosed her with 2u. Should I do additional .5?

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Stick with the 2U and test her, this will give you positive data as to whether you need to increase her dose tonight, maybe help you feel more comfortable making that decision.

You've got high BGs, is she doing okay otherwise? The whole cat, any hiding, meatloafing, looking sick, strange things? I have not experienced ketones with my own cats but I do test the urine with ketone sticks when the BGs are high just to be safe.

5. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

She was pretty much normal this morning prior to eating, and ate nearly entire can of FF - not sure if that's overdoing it or not, of course the can is small.

At last evening's PS of 571 - she obviously felt bad, didn't want to be disturbed - those numbers were also half-hour after eating. She was playing a couple hours after dosing.

I'll hold off for this cycle. Thanks.

Edit: Not meatloafing - although she does that periodically and tells me she feels bad, not hiding. She's still drinking lots, but not as much as pre-insulin. I checked ketones after last night's high - they were normal range.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Edit: Not meatloafing - although she does that periodically and tells me she feels bad, not hiding. She's still drinking lots, but not as much as pre-insulin. I checked ketones after last night's high - they were normal range.[/quote]

I hope you mean she tested 'negative' for keytones. That's the only normal.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

late to the gate here but i want to add one quick note, make sure you test before feeding and pay more attention to that number than one obtained 20 minutes after eating. that 482 could have included a bit of a spike from the food.

this time around with the numbers being up that high i doubt it's a problem but let's say in a few weeks when you're dancing around the 200's, if 1/4 or more of that is a food spike and you shoot a normal dose, that could result in the cat going too low once the food spike wears off and the insulin starts working.

8. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Yes, sorry - I meant negative - the lowest scale reading - which is a tan color.

I'll do that. So that will be considered the PS number - or test again for that one? Actually, I did do that on her first test that I did on May 9. Before meal it was 447 and 30 minutes later it was 474.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Also would be the reason she appeared to drop suddenly last night within 1/2 hour of insulin.

She's currently laying with a paw under her head, snoozing peacefully underneath my desk. She loves to hear the clicking of the keys while I'm working. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.