HELP JANIE"S 31, then 36 at +4 HELP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

help

edited to take 911 off title. ~jojo

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Kris, take a deep breath. rub some karo on her gums ok, and test again in 15 minutes.

would you like someone to call you and talk to you?

3. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hi kris. ((hugs))
    she'll be okay. this is from the vetsulin right? you should be right at nadir then okay, she should be coming up any minute.
    what have you given her so far to bring up BG?

4. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

a little pure maple syruop then karo on gums -- hospital wants me to bing her back but it's their fault she's so low ---------- they want to give her dextrose. yes if anyone wants to call me --

Edited to remove number (Cindy has number handy). Mod.

5. LynnLee + Mousie

i've got the phone number if any mods decide to edit out the phone number

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you gotten another test yet? I'd call, but doubt I can help much.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

i'm on the phone with Kris

8. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Hi Kris - just watching here - how long ago did you check her and is she coming up now?

Sending hugs.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

9. LynnLee + Mousie

bg is 29 now. jojo?

giving more karo

janie is walking to kris now for more syrup

10. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I also PM'd Kris's number to Jojo in case she wanted to speak to her.

11. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

oh good cindy.
    any update kris?
    suggest staying with big guns due to her age and recent ER visit. karo, maple syrup, whatever you have rubbed on gums until BG is up.
    if she is looking for food ~ anything with gravy in house? or ya can mix whatever sugar stuff into the regular food, they don't notice extra sweet taste.

okay saw you post at same time hitting submit.
    yes more karo on gum, don't get too scared and choke her, give her time to swallow and then do it again.

12. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

cindy while she is doing that, dose? how much vetsulin do we have to fight here?
    and she is upstate NY, assume ER is long drive away?

13. LynnLee + Mousie

rubbed more karo. janie fought them, i heard her :)

gonna try some fancy feast w/ karo

14. LynnLee + Mousie

2.5units vetsulin

ok, janie is eating the FF with karo

ER is 20-25 minutes away

15. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

okay. will be standing by for update.
    it is like +4.5 now?

oops, you just posted, see the 2.5 units. and 20 minutes.
    any idea where she started from, PMPS? so we know how hard a drop.

kiirs don't let her inhale whole can of karo'ed FF from low BG hunger, pace her eating so she doesn't scarf and barf.

16. LynnLee + Mousie

almost +5

PMPS was 448 (7pm east coast time)

ate less than 1/4 can of FF w/ karo

17. LynnLee + Mousie

18. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

and sounds like there is 2 people there? okay other one can go grab the sugar and some warm water and mix up some very sugary water and load in feeding syringe or one of those ear bulb things. and locate some Vaseline, just to keep stuff on stand by.
    a 29 on vetsulin should be at ER, but 25 minutes is too far away. and luckily is +4.5.
    should be time for recheck.

okay you just posted again while typing.
    recheck BG now.
    see the PMPS number. huge drop.

19. LynnLee + Mousie

can kris call you jojo?

20. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

oh cool! you posted the BG update, good it's working.
    k, can flip back to rubbing bit of karo on gums while janie lets food hit stomach.
    don't refeed just yet, give her time.
    and breathing is good for the humans, k? it is gonna be okay. once you have seen now that your actions are having effect, you have gotten control back. is good thing.

21. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

yes of course cindy, of course.
    you have my number handy to give?

22. LynnLee + Mousie

yep, gave kris your number. told her you might screen :)

23. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

she's lying on her side on the floor -- will retest in --5? 10?

24. LynnLee + Mousie

anytime you see what you think is a hypo symptom, test.

fwiw, everyone, kris said janie has been pretty much like that since coming home.....but she did walk around some while on the phone with me.

kris, jojo said ok to call her in case you didn't see it

25. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Is she just lying down, like in a FF food coma, or limp & lifeless? She may just be full & tired from all the drama lately! Hoping it goes back up very soon!

26. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

okay, good.
    that 29 was yuck, but feel much better at 41 now. hope kris does too and feels more in control. once you see what you are doing, what actions you are taking are having effect, then can resume breathing, you've got things under control.
    and with vetsulin this should be over soon too.
    now it is just lather, rinse, repeat until getting BG up to normal range.

27. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

she is retesting now.

28. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

29. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

YAY! & you think she's on her way up with this particular insulin?

30. LynnLee + Mousie

cool. sounds like you are talking to her jojo?

we briefly discussed not giving another 2.5 units in the morning. kris said she'd be go to her vet's first thing in the morning. kinda discussed if they should head to the ER tonight or not. i thought she could handle it at home except for things like janie's age, what she's been thru, and thyroid problems right now complicating things sooooooooooooo, that's kinda where we left off. ??

31. LynnLee + Mousie

awesome!

jojo, if the 2.5 units is an overdose, will it have prolonged effect like some of the other insulins? or will it just conk out like usual?

32. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

she is having some more food, eating on own.

33. LynnLee + Mousie

anything new?

34. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

149!!!!!!!!!!!

And she's walking around. Still kind of stoned - she's watching the water in her water bowl. But 149.

You guys saved her life tonight. I will never, ever forget that.

35. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

okay just got off phone with kris ~
    janie will NOT be getting any vetsulin in morning. kris will be at her vet's at 8 am.
    janie is sitting up now, coming out of the daze that the insane drop from 448 to 29 caused for her, eating little bit at a time. she is gonna be just fine now. was a rough night on her little body (and she is almost 21 years old).
    sigh, the ER shooting 2.5 units of vetsulin into that petite little old girl and sending her home, don't know what possible logic there was behind that, but she will be okay now. more food, some more tests, and a good night's sleep and real vet will get her on lantus tomorrow. :)
    kris will post an update of next BG soon.

cindy, no don't think there will be prolong hypo. quick in- quick out vetsulin plus her liver is gonna be working like crazy soon. kris knows BG can drop a little as sugar wears off, but just to re-karo her, the main crisis is over. we'll see next test, there might be the big jump up already starting.

36. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

oh good! 149, nice comfortable place to be.
    no, you saved her tonight, you were already doing the right stuff, we just held your hand. good job!
    little chocolate time for you now?

37. LynnLee + Mousie

sounds great. you did good kris. you sounded pretty scared when you first answered the phone but you calmed down real quick and did what you had to do, even when janie didn't want her ear poked :)

i'll be up for at least another hour or so so will keep an eye on this thread for awhile.

thanks jojo for jumping in there. i figured you could explain stuff better than me :) as far as what kris was getting tonight behaviorally and what to expect in the next few hours or so

38. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

I'm SO glad she is okay tonight. Kris, you did such a great job!

39. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

and we have GROOMING!!!!!!!

I had splattered Karo all over her face -- she just dined on a little more FF -- prob a tsp -- and is washing her beautiful face.

I have never seen anything more terrifying than those numbers on that meter -- that, and her limp on her side.

40. LynnLee + Mousie

i couldn't imagine. Mousie's thrown me numbers in the 30's before but no symptoms. but it certainly makes your heart skip a beat when those low numbers pop up on the screen. takes a second to get going again and take action too it seems.

41. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Whew - well am glad that's over with a good outcome. I was watching but staying out of the way - just glad you got jojo and cindy on there helping to hold you up. You did all the right things but it's sooooo helpful to have someone with more knowledge coaching you along. Seeing those low numbers can throw us - especially with your Janie Baby and everything that she's been through in her life- and especially the last few days.

Sendingt lots and lots of hugs - am sure she will feel much better (perhaps tired) tomorrow - am sure you will too, Kris.

Good job - think there are a lot of people on the board breathing easier right now.

Hugs,

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

42. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Cindy, just looked at your chart -- what a great system -- and saw you had a 29 just a few days ago -- no wonder you knew exactly what to do. scary, scary.

43. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

You said it, Emmy. This was our first hypo and it scared the air out of me. There are no better people on earth than the ones right here on this board. My heart is overflowing with gratitude.

44. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Sooooo glad she's in the triple digits now! Hopefully everyone's nerves can settle down now, and get some decent sleep. You've earned it!

45. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Awww geez Kris (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
    I haven't been on board at all lately, but I saw the 911 and just caught up now and my heart stopped a beat for you guys.
    I have seen that 29 on vetsulin, and know the ensuing terror.
    I am so glad you had such wonderful hands to help keep your Janie safe tonight.
    Much love to you both and to you guys who were her rocks during this crisis.

46. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

yeah but mousie is on lantus, not vetsulin. there really is a difference between a lantus 29 and a vetsulin 29 like i was explaining to kris on phone. when you start at 448 and drop so fast and so hard like that on vetsulin the body just gets overwhelmed, is so far behind in trying to get it's built in safe guards, life saving measures, working when you have that ball rolling down the steep BG hill faster and faster building up speed. that is when bad things happen. the shorter acting the insulin the more punch/power it has.

just for people reading this thread in future~ really i did want janie at ER but there was no time, was forced into dealing with a vetsulin 29 at home. (hey you know i was worried when i started typing up the anal glucose instructions :shock: ). but kris did everything perfectly and crisis was adverted.

47. LynnLee + Mousie

yeah jojo, i was relaying back and forth between what was going on in kris' house and what was being said on the board and when i read that post to her she asked something along the lines of what was that about and i explained that you were getting her prepped to do this rectally if need be :)

by the way, during this whole thing, someone was there helping kris. she had me on speaker phone and they were doing what needed to be done on their end. so thanks too to the guy that was there (hubby or son?)

48. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Husband -- who helped bravely between trips to the loo to barf -- he's got some kind of bug today -- I woke him up at 31.... when he saw the 41, he went back to bed. ;)

Janie just ate about 3 tsp of FF and seems more alert every minute. she's GOT to be exhausted. I can't imagine what that felt like -- JoJo's description was enough to make me dizzy. My poor baby Jane. I am so blessed, because of her and because of all of you.

I'm going to test her again in five minutes... if anyone's still up and reading, I'll post.

49. LynnLee + Mousie

i'm still up :)

yeah when i asked what the number was before the shot and you said 448 the first thing to come to my mind was this ride at one of the amusement parks i've been to. you get in this open elevator thing and you go way up into the sky. your going up going up into the air and then WHAAAAAAA, all of a sudden you drop to the ground at breakneck speed, actually lifting out of your seat, taking your breath away and putting your tummy in your throat, and if it wasn't for the seatbelt holding you in, you'd fly out. all in about 2 seconds time. for most, it doesn't feel good to do that.

50. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

hmm. 124

A little worried about this 124 after the 149 from earlier....

WHy do they make rides like that? My husband's the only person I know who actually LIKES that stuff.

51. LynnLee + Mousie

hmmmmm, it's about 2 am there now right? so that would be +7?

the vetsulin should be done by now but it'd be nice if kimmee or jojo could confirm that for us? (jojo was gonna feed her ferals so might not respond right away)

it's probably just some of the karo clearing out and it's nowhere near danger territory so not to worrry too much right now :)

52. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

exactly cindy, that is just some of the sugar wearing off and the real BG peeking out from underneath. is fine. happens so often there is even a term for it, we call them the bobbles. ;-) was what i was talking about before on phone when i said that she can have a period of BG bobbling around a small range for a little while. is not worrisome, few bites of food can bring it back up if she wants to eat. don't need to force her right this second though, 129 is a very safe number and it is +7 now.
    i know you said you were not going to sleep tonight kris, but once you get 2 consecutive going up tests a little sleep would be fine (of course always leaving food out). can always set an alarm to test her again. and it is only 5 hours until vet visit in morning....

53. LynnLee + Mousie

on that note, i think i'll go to bed myself since i have to get up in about 5 1/2 hours too :)

peaceful night kris & janie

54. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

132 at +8

the adrenaline has run out, and i'm going to bed after getting a 132 from her - and she's eating again. mixed just a tad of karo into the food, for safety's sake. you all are my angels.

55. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Glad you explained the bobbles Jojo.
    Having seen a few of these scary vetsulin hypos, it does seem there are three steps forward and then one step back, but once above 100 and past about +6, food is usually the friend that makes it all smoother and a consitent rise...little bits though :)

Kris, I also wanted to say....have you taken a moment to yourself and had a glass of water? All that adrenaline in your system is not good either. Water will help cleanse it out.

Give Janie's sticky little face some kisses for me. Give your self gentle ((((hugs))) as well. You saved your girl tonight.

56. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I've been following along but staying out of the way as everyone else had it under control. Whew, what a ride.

Kris, tell Janie that yes, she's the Queen as evidenced by her tiara, and we all love her greatly, but she's not allowed to be a Drama Queen (i.e., no more hypos please). ;-)

By the way, you might see a high number in the morning (common after a hypo) ... but don't panic. It's expected.

57. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

cool. good number.
    glad you are getting some sleep.
    and now my ferals are fed, my cat shot, the others medicated, and time to crash here too.
    ni-ni kris. great work tonight.

58. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

why did you not call me. I am soooooo damn good at hypo's. the one night I do not have to work and I go to bed early. sorry I could not be there for you but you did GREAT. piece of cake once ya know what you are dong, right.
    now you know she is going to be high in AM but no insulin. hope you are breathing now.
    get some sleep and up date us after vet visit
    xo

PS How do you like your new meter?? lol. sure got a work out huh?

59. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Geez! What a person misses by trying to go to bed early around here! And ohmygod_smile , I asked about her BG re: her wobbliness but should have insisted you re-test immediately again anyway. Although you did say wobbliness was a main symptom for the past few days ... Anyway, whew, glad to wake up this morning and she dodged a bullet with the help of our late-niters here. Keep us posted on her vet visit this morning ok?

PS Wonder what ER vet thinks of hometesting now!

60. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

292 at +11, and +8 from hypo

She is much more herself now -- and 292, which is better than I expected. It's 6 a.m. here, and the vet's office won't open for 2 hours. Back to bed for maybe a little more restful sleep. And NO VETSULIN.

61. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Oh Kris! I watched last night like Emmy said and stayed out of the way because I am no help at all and you had lots of the very best help to be found here. I can't tell you how glad I am to see this morning that you all got through the nightmare. I do hope that you and Janie are able to get some well earned sleep after your trip to the vet this morning.

62. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

(((kris)))

saw whole exchange. glad janie is all right now. prob with vetsulin is faster drops but out of system quicker like pzi was. is she eating okay? just worried if they keep her on it you'll really have to monitor and make sure she's eaten sufficiently within the half hour or so before her insulin shot.
    again, glad she's ok and you had pro help.

63. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

GOOD ONE JESS
    ask vet now about testing with monitors. how many times could he have gotten the poor girl to piss on a stick

64. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Kris... I was watching along last night but didn't want to interrupt the thread with hugs... So glad you got a decent number this morning... not too high and not too low. You did so well and so did Janie.

Keep us posted on what the vet says today. And let the ER know how YOU saved your cat with hometesting from THEIR overdose. Yeeesh.

I thought Vetsulin was going off the market, what happened to that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.