Help! Just tested 32, No insulin since Saturday!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mamalou, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

She shouldn't have insulin still in her system. If no insulin, as far as I know, low numbers aren't bad. Still that is really low. I agree with Dyana. If some food is out and she feels low, she might eat to make herself feel better. I'll be interested to see where she is tonight.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

FYI: meter variance

The FDA permits OTC glucometers to read within 20% of what a lab would get, so the 32 could be anywhere between 25.6 and 38.4.

This can be OK if no other problems are happening.

How is your cat behaving?

3. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

She was at 159 tonight. She is just fine. Drinking and peeing normal amounts. She is alert and seems just fine. I am hoping that the low number this morning was just a fluke. I don't know if she has started to gain back any weight yet. I have ordered a baby scale, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Sorry to be such a nervous Nelly, but I am worried about my sugarbaby.

Thanks for all your support.

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

When in doubt, retest! :lol: The 159 is probably from the gravy food. It should clear out by tomorrow morning and we'll hopefully see some lower numbers again. Good job on getting those tests in!

Since she's not had any insulin since Saturday, she can't go hypo on you unless she has something else going on (see below). I have yet to see a cat on this board with any non-insulin related hypoglycemia, so I think you're safe. ;-)

5. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

It will be interesting to see her numbers tomorrow morning. I hope it is below 200.

Fingers and paws crossed!

6. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

Just wanted to pipe in to say I've had a few low numbers pop up when I don't quite suck the blood up properly.. you can sort of see thru the blood in the strip, I think the test fails just because it doesn't actually have 'enough' blood, even though it is enough to activate the machine. Haven't gotten very many of those recently, I've kind of learned to hold the strip in a certain way to avoid it. (I kind of slide the strip into the blood drop diagonally to the surface of the ear) Still happens from time to time if he moves or shakes just as I'm 'sucking' though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.