Help - Need Some More Eyes, Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble getting my cat regulated. I'm using the U-100 syringes, and she's been increased to 1.8u BID after 3 days of being on 1.6u BID. She's on ProZinc. She's eating Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets Classic (3 cans a day). She gets boiled chicken treats throughout the day. She's been on ProZinc since May 12th. Back then, she was on 8u BID (per the vet), AND she was on Hill's Prescription W/D dry, and then the week after the 15th, was put on the Hill's Prescription W/D wet, and remained on 8u BID for almost another week. 3 days after being on the wet, she hypo'd (as you can see on the SS). I also started hometesting her that day, too.

There is no UTI, her teeth are fine. Neg. for ketones. I'm apprehensive about increasing her insulin another 0.2 units at this time. I would prefer to wait and see if her body will hopefully adjust to this dosage. Also, if her system doesn't straighten out, I'm afraid that she may go back up to 8u BID again in time. :(

I'm very frustrated right now, and on the verge of tears (I'm not ashamed to admit that). I'm also looking for work to try and compensate for the cost of this, and I don't need to be taking this stress with me to job interviews.

I greatly appreciate any help/advice that anyone might be able to give me. Thank you in advance.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Your number trends look a lot like my Oscar's - sometimes you get a good drop, and sometimes you don't. Just remember 2u is a far cry from 8u!! Stay the course - if you are nervous about upping the dose too soon, then stay a little while longer at 1.8. It should be relatively safe to do so because Blackie is negative for ketones. You could try holding each dose for 5-7 days if you want to be sure that Blackie settles in appropriately. Believe me, I understand your frustrations!!!!!!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From your spreadsheet it appears that you got better results on 1 unit, especially right before you upped it to 1.2, than you are getting with the 1.6. Maybe go back down? Some cats are hard to get under control. I have been working on my Bailey's dose for over six years and I still get highs that are too high and lows that are too low. I have even changed insulin.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Agree with both Larry and Kelly, 2U is not a lot, so I wouldn't worry right now about the 8U again, at least not for some time and after you have the data.

But, as Larry mentioned your numbers were starting to come down right before the dose increase to 1.2U. I don't like red numbers either, but maybe your kitty needed a little more time to see if she could keep the numbers lower. She was doing well during the day, preshots were higher, but maybe a little longer on the 1U and she could have kept those numbers down.

However, please keep in mind I have not used ProZinc before, only PZI which is similar, so I'm no expert at all.

There's no more script food, just the Fancy Feast? Are her stools better now?

5. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Jennifer, her poops are better, and she's been on FF Turkey & Giblets for just about a month now. Thank you for asking. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.