Help! New work schedule, can't keep regular 2x daily shots.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by lovemycat444, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Help! My sweet boy cat Taco cat has diabetes. He was on Lantus and then I couldn't afford Lantus. So the vet prescribed Prozinc. Because of a new job (I'm trying to earn more money to also especially care for Taco's expensive vet appointments, and his expensive Science Hill wet and dry food - he is worth all of it! I only say expensive because I am trying to earn more money to care for him). I am trying to earn more money through this new job because I am so worried about Taco's health.

Please! If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or experiences with this please let me know.
    I don't want to harm Taco by not being able to always give him regular insulin dosages at 12 hours apart.

I'm confused. A vet told me I can give him less of an insulin shot if it's an hour earlier from the 12 hour range.
    Then I read that is terrible for Taco.

He is around 10 years old, a male tabby cat. He has been itching scratching licking his back legs and front leg and his tummy and lower nipples. The vet advised over the phone it was a food allergy. He's back on his Hill's Science Diet.

Also his left front leg and sometimes both front legs are shaky. This I noticed since about 2 weeks ago and I am very scared about Taco's health. I can pay for him to go to the vet next week. But his shaky front legs terrify me.

I have done his ketone strips and they are always normal.

He has been drinking excessive amounts of water again and is ravenous.

Please please if anyone has any insight or please suggestions how I can care better for Taco.

Thank you so much!!

and hugs to all the cat owners and their sweet cats too.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good Morning to sweet Taco and his bean! Taco is absolutely beautiful! What should we call you?

First off, we totally get how you're feeling. But we are here to help! You're not alone in this. :)

The good news about ProZinc is you have some flexibility in schedule. While consistency is best, if you have to shoot off schedule by about an hour, you can do that. We have one member on here who shoots on a 11/13 schedule because that's just what she can do with her work schedule. We make it work. Will you be able to do 12 hours apart most of the time with the occasional later shot or will you need to shoot off schedule on a fairly regular basis? We can help you figure that out.

The shaky legs COULD be diabetic neuropathy...that usually goes away when the kitty becomes better regulated. Has your vet said anything about the legs?

As for the expensive food, it's really not necessary to feed that. What you want is a low carb, wet food. Most people feed friskies or fancy feast pates. However, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE FOOD unless you are home testing. It's very important as it can drop the BG over 100 points overnight.

I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind!
    • How long has Taco been on insulin? What dose?
    • Are you testing at home? It's the best way to manage Taco's diabetes. It gives you much better control, the ability to change doses at home, and bonus, less expensive than vet visits! We can help you learn if you don't test yet but would like to.
    • What is Taco's food allergy to?
    • How much and how often do you feed?

We definitely want to help you help Taco! I know you're scared and overwhelmed a bit (we've ALL been there) but we can help you with Taco! The ketone tests are great! The being ravenous and extra water drinking will subside over time. :)

What other questions do you have? Please ask ANYTHING you have. More folks will be on it a bit (I'm early morning crowd here as I head to work early). :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome to Taco and Taco's person! I won't add any more questions, but once you've answered Rachel's, we can help you and Taco get back on track (and save you some $$ too!) As Rachel said, prozinc has a little more flexibility than Lantus, so once we have some more information, we can help you get it figured out. :bighug: Hang in there!

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Taco and his bean!
    We'll try our best to help you and Taco. It sounds like he has some diabetic neuropathy. Can chime in more after Rachel's questions :). Some of the questions she asked should be setup in your Signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

If you are home testing here is the Spreadsheet most of us use: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Just need a Google account and if you need help setting one up, just ask ;).

Lastly, I'll just leave this with you to read when you can. Better to be prepared and I hope you'll never need: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

5. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello Taco and parent! Nothing to add until answers are given but I wanted to say hello and that we'll all help as much as we can! Rachel, Djamila and Yong have much more knowledge than I do, but I'll check in also :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.