Help - not diabetes but LPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maaryon, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

I need some information from someone who has had real experience with LPS. The stray I had neutered about a month (earlier posts) started showing signs of a mouth infection (hissing at this food). I took him for emergency care and the Vet there diagnosed him as Feline lympocytic-plasmacytic stomatitis. He was given an injection of Depo Medol, Lincocin and given oral antibiotics. However he has not even been off the oral meds a day and he is showing signs of pain (running from food, only licking up watered food, etc).I have read all about it on line but my question is - has anyone had a cat with this? Did pulling all the teeth stop the problem? I need to make a decision by tomorrow to treat or put to sleep as that is when I got an appointment with my Vet.. He is a stray, not going to allow me to brush his teeth etc.and I also cannot affort big vet bills. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I PM'd Jess & Earl - she is a vet tech and could probably best answer these questions.

Wishing you all the best with whatever decision you make.

3. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Removal of the teeth helps in about 80% of the cases so the odds are pretty good. I have 2 cats with full mouth extractions and they've been fine since removing their teeth.

4. cjleo

cjleo Member

Did the vet test for bartonella as an underlying cause. It that is positive, a 30 day course of an antibiotic like Zythromaz might help. And full mouth extraction might still be indicated.

I've seen a 18 month old with a full mouth extraction due to the Bartonelle infection. She seems to be doing fine.

Good luck,

Claudia

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I had a cat with this disease that had many of her teeth, but not all, extracted and she did fine afterwards for the rest of her life (12 morth years). My sister's diabetic cat had a full extraction for stomatitis and he did very well. He is FIV+. I have a 2 year old who looks like she has this and has already had 4 teeth extracted or lost. I am still trying to save the other teeth, but if I have to do a full extraction I will.

It is important that they get all of the root of the teeth out so there isn't anything for the bacteria to keep inhabitting and causing inflammation.

It seems like getting him tested for bartonella and treating for that may be the best next step. Good luck to you.

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

My Bandit (10 yrs old now) has had this for a few years now. I was told it normally affects younger cats, but older ones can get it too. Not much is known about it, but I've heard the same.. about 80-85% of cats do perfectly fine after a full mouth extraction. I had it done for Bandit, and she's still having problems.. ALTHOUGH she's only having problems in the throat. After the extractions, the gums went back to normal. The back of her throat is still red though, and we're still trying to treat that. Has been looking pretty good lately, and all she's on right now is prednisolone. It can be tough to treat in certain cats, but well worth it in my opinion.

Here's a link I showed my vet, and we used for Bandit's step-by-step, since she was harder to treat than most. Lynette's had some experience with the harder-to-treat cats too. (Omaha & Latifah at the bottom of the page.)

http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Stomatitis.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.