Help on diet from those with Renal Disease & Diabetic kitties.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Erin Patters, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Erin Patters

Erin Patters New Member

Do any of your sugar cats have kidney disease AND diabetes?
    How do you balance the low protein (so higher in carbs) needs of the kidneys with the high protein, low carb needs of diabetes?
    I'm so scared right now because she went from having bad renal results to going back within COMPLETELY normal values only after putting her on a renal perscription diet (no other possible sources for the change)...it's the only one that worked, even though I know everyone's opinion on those diets here, I don't know what else to say. :(

Please help!

PS: I don't have any medical records of her situation yet, I'm so sorry! :(

2. Stephanie & Quintus

Stephanie & Quintus Well-Known Member

At some stage, particularly with older or sick cats, everything you do is a compromise. Quintus had early-stage CKD when diagnosed with diabetes. Looking at his numbers it was clear that dealing with the diabetes was a priority. This is also the guideline on Tanya's CKD site.

I actually never managed to transition Quintus to low-carb food completely, so he still had some "renal" food in the mix. Overall it will come down to your cat's specific situation and numbers -- it might be something to discuss with your vet: what is the most urgent/important thing to take care of? It's probably the diabetes. You can always add phosporus binders if his P numbers start to go up.

Fingers crossed for you and your kitty!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Unless the cat is stage 4 kidney failure, what you are looking for is low phosphorus, not low protien. There are several low phosphorus /low carb food choices. I had one diabetic and one ckd cat, and I feed them both weuruva bff in cans. It really helped lower my ckd cats phosphorous levels.