Help - re food and PMPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JeanW, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanW

JeanW Member

I wasn't able to leave work this afternoon and pick up Pretty Girl's food 2 hours prior to doing the PMPS, feeding and then shot. She free feeds so there was food out when I left the house after lunch at 1. Another kitty is with her and they both eat.

How do I handle this? Do I give the same 1/2 unit I've been giving after testing first or ?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Have you tested her yet? What is the number? If she has eaten, it would just raise the number some. It looks like she has been running pretty high at shot time even when food is withheld. So, I think you are probably going to be fine with giving the dose.

Without any mid-cycle data, it is hard to really know what the dose has been doing compared to the pre-shot results.

3. JeanW

JeanW Member

I have not tested her yet. Going home and will test her in 30 minutes or so.

Her numbers have been high at shot time but I didn't previously really understand withholding the food 2 hours before. So . . . I don't have a lot of confidence in the numbers from before. She has typically always run high but I suspect she bounced for months although I didn't have a name for it - learned that here.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as the food is low carb, it shouldn't effect the numbers that much.....if you were dealing with Pre-shots under 150 or so, it might be something to be more concerned about, but as high as she's running, it shouldn't matter.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  5. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you both.

So she was very high again tonight - 478. I gave 1/2 unit but I think this weekend - when I can be around more - I need to look at raising to 1 unit. Thoughts or feedback?

Tomorrow and Friday I will stop home 2 hours before time for PMPS and pick up the food so I can get a more real number.

She's not feeling that great at all tonight although she was pretty good when I was testing her - but still I could tell she wasn't quite her best self.

6. JeanW

JeanW Member

Maybe I don't want to wait until the weekend. I cannot afford another diabetic emergency.

I will get up at 4 am and pick up the food so I can get a more accurate number in the morning.

Please give me your expert advice here.

7. Chris & China (GA)

When will you be able to get some mid-cycle tests on the AM cycle or do a curve?

Do you have syringes with half unit markings?

8. JeanW

JeanW Member

I will try to get some mid-cycle tests either today or tomorrow. I can do a curve on the weekend.

I don't have syringes with half unit markings yet but will get some soon - today if possible.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  9. JeanW

JeanW Member

@Chris & China, I did a test a +6 today and it was 480. :blackeye: Started out at 278 this morning.

I suspect it's the Purina DM food - even though it's low carb - but I don't know that. Or she's bouncing.

10. JeanW

JeanW Member

Or she needs more insulin.

I didn't leave work today to pick up the food before PMPS. I am having to set alarms at work so I get up to run home at the right time.

Tonight PMPS was 508. :arghh: I will try to get a mid-cycle test again tonight and tomorrow in the AM cycle.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Bingo....I think this is the answer more than the food.

The DM is OK as far as carb percentage, but it's expensive for what it is and most cats get tired of eating it quickly.

12. JeanW

JeanW Member

How do I increase? Can I safely go to 1 unit AM and 1/2 unit PM tomorrow without waiting a couple days to do a 12 hour curve?

13. Chris & China (GA)

First, Lantus works best when given at the same dose both AM and PM.....It craves consistency, so you don't want to give different doses at AM and PM except under very special circumstances.

When will you be able to get at least a mid-cycle test on the AM cycle?

And if you can't get mid-cycles every day due to work, it's even more important to get at least 1 other test on the PM cycle after PMPS every cycle

14. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you for the information. That is what I thought. But my vet - UGH - was doing and having me do 2 units AM and 1 unit PM. That's what made me think I might be able to do differently morning and night. . even though my instinct said different. I should listen to my gut. Thank you for confirming.

I got a mid-cycle test today at +6 and it was high. I can do a mid-cycle tonight and again tomorrow during the day.

Once again, thank you for your help.

15. Chris & China (GA)

In this case, I'd go ahead and go up to 1U unless she throws something funny in tonight or in the AM

You don't necessarily have to get up in the middle of the night to get a PM test.....if you can just grab one "before bed" that can help a lot.

Depending on what the difference is between the PMPS and the "before bed" test, you'll learn when it's important to make sure to get another test in later and when you can just go on to bed and sleep

JeffJ and PussCatPrince - GA like this.
  16. JeanW

JeanW Member

@Chris & China, again Thank You!

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.