Help recent fatty liver...vet says not to feed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by inge, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inge

inge New Member

Had a bit of a scare and am not sure what to do...Chings levels were pretty good for today...he's starting to get an appatite but only in small doese...so have been feedin him in the afternoon as well..at 6am he was 12.4mmol/L at 12pm 13.4 and at 5.30 a massive 31.4....gave him his 1 unit half an hour early....took his reading at 6.15 and he was 29.7....he's perkey enough and wants to eat but vet (not his normal vet) said I should hold back on the food for tonight....not sure what I should do???now Ching finanly wants to eat and I'm not allowing him...and am worried his reading will go to low if I don't put some food down later tonight....I Tokk his reading again at 7.45pm and it was 28.8..so have decided to put down a table spoon of Hills MD....been ages since I have seen Ching so hungry...he is quiet restless and has been drinking a bit more than usual and using litter box...what should I do now?

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

hello..please do not hold back food.

Innappetance is likely one of the reasons you ended up here.
    Did the vet test for ketones or DKA?
    I am sorry, about to run out but more will be along with support and ideas for you.

Please..food and calories are needed now, did the vet give you an appetite stimulant of any kind?
    What kind of insulin are you using?

Hang in there...

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Inge
    I am sorry that you are scared for Ching
    Can I ask you why the vet said not to feed? You did not mention that anywhere.
    The most important thing a cat must do with fatty liver is eat.

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

oh my, Inge! I have no idea why the vet would tell you that! I agree wholeheartedly with Kimmee - not eating or not eating enough was probably the biggest factor in the fatty liver.

I would NOT withhold food. I would also be testing for ketones.

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Here is the history in her first post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2515

...frankly, and I am sorry to be so impertinent having just met you, but I would be calling around to other vets.
    ketoacidosis, innappetance and high numbers are a dangerous combination and it can become life threatening very fast.

Please see if you can find a vet who will address these issues.
    You need the calories, you need to washing the ketones out and you need an appetite stimulant along with food that is denser in calories right now, then you work the insulin around the needs created by the higher calorie food, and if needed a dose of a fast acting insulin administered in a vet's care, to quickly bring down the levels.

I am sorry to be scaring you, and I hear you are already so worried, please see if you have other medical assistance that will do something. Your vet is way off base here.

((((hugs))))

6. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Agreed with the others. Sorry but your vet is wrong (if you've told us correctly that fatty liver and diabetes are both problems). Both these conditions require food at all times, and the diabetes requires insulin too.

Appetite stimulants may help, but finding another vet at this very minute is likely to save your cat's life.

7. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

That is simply dangerous advice, vet or not. You don't hold back food, *especially* to a diabetic *especially, especially* not to a cat who has or had fatty liver. That is just nuts. Can you get access to another vet?

8. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Please feed your cat if he will eat. This is critical.

You need a new vet as soon as possible.

You shouldn't withhold food and you need to give insulin if the numbers are in the diabetic range.

I urge you to find another vet right away, but while you are looking - please feed your kitty.

I've had a cat with fatty liver disease (HL), and she had it as a result of DKA, and had to have a feeding tube because she wouldn't eat. She is well now - but I have very good vets.

I'm so sorry you are going through but it can get better.

9. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Fatty liver needs food

Check out Yahoo's Feline Assisted Feeding group for more info on fatty liver. The main reason cats get this is poor feeding, so you want the cat to EAT!! Donna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.