? ***help** ? Salem 11-11-19 PMP S 421+1.5= 367 +3=328 +6=208

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina and Salem, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice to see. Keep working it Salem.

Beth 73 and Tina and Salem like this.
  3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Way to go , Salem and Tina :bighug: Day at a time,Tina, day at a time ❤️

Tina and Salem likes this.
  4. Tina and Salem

+4=71 watching him closely i gave him a couple tablespoons of gravy . Rechecking in 30 minutes son is taking over running to store real quick will post what he gets he will write down he knows the drill . My son has been learning hes 25years old . He knows what to do. I will post hes test when i get back in one hour .

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Sue and Luci, Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow.... that was a big drop. When are you testing next?

Tina and Salem and Beth 73 like this.
  6. Tina and Salem

In 30 mins +4.5 =107
    +5.5=135

(edited) doing great Salem !!! Hold steady !! Lol

Sonia & Leo and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  7. Tina and Salem

Sonia. I just looked at Leo gosh hes beautiful !!! What a cat !!!! I always wanted one of those gray cats are they not called British gray cat something like that . He looks to be that and Coon wow !!! Absolutely Gorgeous !!

8. Tina and Salem

Hello Nan
    I was looking at your ss , im impressed how in the world do you keep these numbers low without freaking out salems numbers when they get low like that i give him HC food then it goes up but it ends up going up too high before his pmps . And i see you go to bed even when its in the greens i freak out and always grab the high carb food cause im too nerves to go to sleep scared it will go even lower in the danger numbers while im sleeping ? Hes numbers do good all day now we are at +9=308 again in the high numbers ? Help !!! How do i know its safe to not try to get those numbers up like im doing ?

9. Tina and Salem

I just found the documents (message board) on how to deal with shooting on these low numbers and how to deal with them . Going to read up on them now . Do i have enough data to be able to do this now ?

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Looks like Mr. Salem is a sneaky guy! He snuck off to the lagoon before you knew it this morning. So the thing to do is to test an hour earlier at least - looks like he's still looking for his nadir - and that may be it. Then once you see that he's dropped a 100 points or more, you can set an alarm to get more tests and bring out a little medium carb food to steer him away from the low, low part of the lagoon.

Luci used to do that to me! She was in such a big hurry to get to the lagoon, I'd have to check her at 1+ to make sure she wasn't dropping too fast...and most always a 2+....by 4+ it would usually be to late - there were days when I felt like I was wasting my time, but then there were days when she'd make a run for it...you'll just have to test often to catch him when he's in an active cycle like today...

So now, he's doing a little bouncing...but he'll come down soon...and you'll want to be there when he does.

Nice job...keep up the great work. Great that your son is going to pitch in to help too! It does take a 'village' with these cats :)

Tina and Salem and Sonia & Leo like this.
  11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tina--

I can't take credit for any particular bravery or skill, it was all due to Amber :cat:. Unlike seemingly every other cat on here, she never showed any interest in bouncing, and rarely dived down to unsafe numbers (and when she did, I usually had a pretty good idea it was coming and that she was ready for a dose decrease). I mean, I bought a giant bottle of Karo when she was diagnosed diabetic, and never even opened it in almost four years-- she was that easy! I used to just bring her back up over 50 with nothing more than some Temptations treats (she didn't like gravy, so treats it was!). With a cat like that, with generally pretty flat cycles, it was easy to "shoot low" with confidence. Mind you, I often also resorted to carbing her up (more treats! she was a fan of this strategy, to say the least), particularly at night when I could rarely stay up to test. But overall, she was really really easy. Probably not a good cat to look to for guidance, for that reason :rolleyes:.

In terms of being ready to shoot low and trying to maintain green numbers, the rules are a bit different for a post-DKA kitty. Extra carbs are OK-- they're what's letting you give the insulin, which is what Salem's body really needs right now. A bit higher numbers are OK, too. For right now, with the DKA still pretty close in the rear-view mirror, greens are a nice occasional bonus, but not your overall goal. There will be time enough for that later, don't worry!

12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Tina, thank you so much, that’s very sweet of you to say that about Leo! I think Salem is a real cutie also! As for what type of cat Leo is …??? When I first joined the FDMB, I looked at his adoption papers from the Humane Society and it said Maine Coon but since then I’ve seen many MC’s here and googled them and he doesn’t really look like a MC except for his size and his attitude. He’s a very big kitty! He’s very gentle and affectionate, and loves people and goes running to the door to greet them. When I take him out, he walks beside me like a dog, lol. Those British Greys are so adorable but he doesn’t really look like them either. I’ll find another face picture and post it in my condo tomorrow and tag you so you’ll see what I mean.

Hope you and Salem have a great evening!! :bighug:

13. Tina and Salem

I showed my son his photo i can tell he is a very big cat ! I can imagine he is a sweet baby . Those big cats usually are sweeties . Salem was 22lbs at one time. Right before i realized he was diabetic now he only weighs 15 lbs . I guess being over weight makes me feel guilty i fed him too much making him diabetic . He was always hungry since he was a kitten never satisfied . But he does have very big paws .
    :eek:

14. Tina and Salem

Ok i been reading these stickys about low numbers im trying to figure out what i should do when hes numbers get low ?? Should i continue to give him hes HC food or watch and see if it stops going down im looking for his nadir right hes lowest point ? So far im reading about whether or not to shot , im still reading . Salem is DKA so i have to shot regardless but what i am worried about right now is these low numbers do i just watch them see what they do on their on if they stall or do i give them hes HC food before it gets too low ? I assume i need to watch to see if it stalls on its on to get a true reading not food relate ? But if it hits that 50 i go into action right ? These high numbers are results of giving him this HC food . I will continue to read it all but had these questions on my mind right now . Im reading and understanding a cats best results are +1, +2 when the insulin starts to kick in . +10, +11 are important results too to determine his high points(edit)onset.i know theres a term for that too ! Lol just havent gotten it in my head yet . I hope im not being confusing on what i am asking about these low numbers . I dnt think shoving this HC food in him is necessary if it will stall before 50 . If the unit im giving salem is good it will stabalize if not i need to decide whether to change the dose correct ? Also i just read about pulling the insulin into the pen if you pull too much insulin in to just squirt it out of the needle well i been pulling the insulin into the syringe pushing it back in the pen then back in the syringe . The reason i was doing that was to squirt any air or bubbles out of the needle . I just read not to do that cause the syringe is silicon lined i can contaminate the insulin with silicon . Is my insulin bad because i have been doing that to get air or air bubbles out of the syringe ? I dnt see anything floating in the pen . (Edit) i just read my vets paper work it recommends to do like i have been doing to get air bubbles out . So which is correct ? Lol

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019