? Help with a civvie, please?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AlphaCat, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I'm stuck...
    So as a cat lady my rule of thumb is if it's with the butt go to the vet immediately.

I have a long hair looks like a Ginger Norwegian Forrest Cat. He's middle aged, and never really had any problems. He's Seamus in my signature.
    It's been HOT the last couple of days. We don't have A/C in our house.
    We just steam cleaned our floors yesterday, so Giant vacuum that lasted for hours.
    Early this morning I noticed he seemed to be having a pain, and it looked like it stemmed from a Matt around his hind end. I was afraid he was not going to the bathroom because of matt pain. I tried to trim it as best I could. At this time of year they are hard to keep up with, and if I can't keep up, he gets shaved into a lion. He wasn't a happy camper, but I seemed to get the Matt out.

Today he hasn't eaten. He's my sort-of-Alpha, so he is always at the food bowl first, even if he doesn't want to eat it, just so he gets his place in line recognized. He didn't do any of that today. I turned him toward the food bowl at 5am, but he walked away. Lunch time was really hot and only one cat came out to eat, so I let him keep sleeping in the bottom rung of the cat tree. It's not a usual spot for him and it seems like out of the way, but not hiding for him.
    Tonight we found him hiding under a chair, also not a normal spot. We double checked the matts and did a bit more trimming. He went to the litter box and had the booty muscles moving like a bowel movement, and immediately covered. I rooted through but didn't see any fresh poop or pee. We did pull off some feces goo while trimming. It was clear and brown-ish. He was mad at us for all of this and his little nose and pads of the feet were bright pink and sweaty.
    After trimming he did get down and go the the litter box and did urinate, silly me didn't even think to catch it in time. It was about the amount of a golf ball, didn't appear discolored or the stream stop thing my crystals boys do.
    I don't know if he's had any water today. I have tried water, tuna juice, salmon treats, chicken treat, Fabby's low carb food (which on a usual day he loves licking the bowl). Nothing. Can't get him to eat or even be interested.
    Because he was stressed and hot I've got him laying quietly (he was previously vocal walking around the room looking for a hiding spot) on a ice pack covered in a towel. He will let you touch him lightly, but not near his hind legs or tail. He's generally friendly and enjoys pets everywhere but the tummy unless there is invitation.

My spouse has surgery prep for herself tomorrow, and surgery on Friday early morning. It's right now past the time for the vet's to be open, so our only immediate option is an ER clinic, and Human surgery co-pays on top of all Fabby's new needs the last month... there's just nothing left.

He doesn't appear to have signs of dehydration, skin behaves normal when pinched. Gums are light pink and moist not sticky.

Should I just syringe feed him water for a while? Food too? And just keep making sure there is urine output? Any other thoughts or suggestions that can save me a trip to the ER with money I don't have, and time I can't afford either?

He is currently laying on the bed with me, quietly and calmly. He doesn't want his bottom touched, but is letting me spoon him. He is purring lightly, but his purse can mean anything even defensive.

2. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

We have him a syringe of water and a half syringe of tuna water.
    It didn't stimulate hunger, and we did get it down, but he wasn't very willing about it.
    I think he's constipated. He keeps going to the litter box but nothing comes out.
    He's calm and quite and seems to be able to sleep a bit.
    I'm going to try to just monitor through the night to avoid ER if possible.

Should I be syringing more water?
    What do you even give a constipated cat?
    Advice and thoughts are welcome!
    2017-06-13_22.57.51.jpg

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah & me (GA) and AlphaCat like this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I just checked Weather Network US for Virginia, looks hot, 90 with humidity. Seamus looks like at lest a medium hair. Did you use a chemical in the cleaner? There still has to be some moisture in the carpet, can you move him into a bathroom or something with a ceramic floor? The tub with a fan in the room? Or a wicker basket with some air-flow under it? Easier said than done but what about a window unit AC? A big one will cycle on and off repeatedly, you're better off with a smaller unit that runs at a constant speed. Never mind how it looks for now, cardboard and duct tape takes precedent over aesthetics. Dogs sweat through their pads, if it's the same for cats see if he'll tolerate some face-cloths in cool water around his feet. This is all based on Seamus being hot, if it's something else I'm at an intellectual zero right now. So sorry I can't be of more help.

5. Noah & me (GA)

AlphaCat likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

12:40AM here, need sleep. Will be on 5 more minutes.

AlphaCat likes this.
  7. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Okay, well, I've ruled out heat issues.
    It's now 72F and he seems to be running a little hot.

Thank you both for responding with something. Y'all are my cat people! I'll take a hug at this point!

Yes on the cleaner, but it's the same one we've used all his life - about 3-4 times a year.
    We only have carpet downstairs, it was still drying today, but seems dry now. However, he was upstairs all day, and I have him upstairs currently. (When we run the vacuum or cleaner the cats all retreat upstairs to hide...)
    The length of his coat is less the issue with heat, but he keeps a lovely soft downy type undercoat (the part that mats and because it's under, we don't always catch proactively, and well, the last month I've been rather preoccupied with Fabby's new issues... one at a time people! <in my house we call our cats people, as they all have distinct personalities>) but, it's cooled off and the issue does seem to be around the litter box, and since we have had urine output, I assume it's fecal.

Thank you Red & Rover! My issue is, after reading through, that there is nothing I should be force feeding him to help him with an acute episode of constipation. (He won't take anything willingly at the moment - even water... but we don't have signs of dehydration, so pushing fluids would be fairly useless is what the website says.) I have laxatone (sp?) the hairball stuff, but none of my cats ever did well with that, and I haven't even tried it since he won't take it when he feels good... so it'd have to be forced, which website says no... I also have olive oil, again though... nothing willingly. I have some bacon grease, and it does say animal oil would be most beneficial.

We're about 5-6 hours from being able to get to an open vet. Should I try the bacon grease? Or should I just leave him alone since he appears to be hydrated, and cool, (but possible fever) and let the vet decide on a course of action?

8. Noah & me (GA)

In all these years I've never had a constipated cat so I'm at a loss. 6 hours to Eastern time and more members, I feel like a schmuck bailing on you but all I can do is Google, no practical experience. Keep him cool, watch for mouth breathing and a redder or pinker nose (increased blood flow = stress). Bacon grease warmed up in food sounds good but again, zero experience. So sorry, the morning will be here soon. Hope your partners not headed for an endo, that's no fun. :arghh: :bighug: :bighug: :banghead: :coffee:

AlphaCat likes this.
  9. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I hope I'm not pinging you awake with my replies.
    I know how you feel. 20+ years as a cat fanatic, well all my life really, but only the last 20 have I needed to be fully responsible as the cat mom anyway... And never had a cat constipation issue. The website above that Red & Rover looks to be the most comprehensive constipation info on cats. You get a full on biology lesson for free to boot!

Seamus is resting curled in a ball and hasn't gone to the litter box to try in over an hour now, so I'm going to try to get a couple hours sleep while he's sleeping. I'll feel him if he gets up though. Hopefully I can sleep.

Spouse (human, of course) proceedure is spine surgery with disk fusion. Way worse than an endo. (But apparently they've got these things down to outpatient surgery now... But still.) So I've got Fabby's uncontrolled diabetes, spouse spine surgery, and now Seamus goes and needs to be the center of attention. (Luckily I am on my last day of 40mg prednisone and my back is functioning again so I can take care of my family physically - mostly & hopefully...)
    Come on now... A gal's gotta catch a break somewhere!
    Okay off to sleep for me. I'll be back though if Seamus wakes me up, lol.

10. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

So, he did get up and I didn't wake up, so I was able to get a couple hours sleep.
    There's fresh poop in the litter box, but I'm fairly certain it's Fabby's. (Seamus prefers the tall box and he covers, this was found in the little box uncovered.)

But Huzzah! He ate some of Fabby's low carb wet food with water mixed in. Once her started eating he was going to town like he was back to his normal appetite and his temp looks back in the normal ranges. So he's feeling a little better any way.

However, there is still a noticeable pain concern with his hind legs that impacts jumping.

But now I've shoved him in a carrier, and we're in the car. He gets stressed in the car, so... Who knows what the vet will see.

I'll update later.
    Thank you for the help last night!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hope everything goes well with Seamus! :) Maybe he just had some gas :smuggrin:

AlphaCat and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  12. Noah & me (GA)

Two hospitals, drugs, pain, whose poop is this? I thought "Happy Days" was a documentary and then we all got older. Keep us posted, human or cat, that's what we're here for. The daily drama here is the turds that falls off the tush of the long-hairs along with my dependence on black Liquorice. Laundry day is fun as I always have a supply in my pocket. Without my glasses on I need to get right up close.
    Disk fusion! I know medicine has come a long way but that still has a sphincter factor of 9.5 to me. You're right about endoscopy, "simple" day procedure but mine was a mistake. My family doctor knows how much I hate the snap of the rubber gloves and thought it was me complaining about polyps so one of her other patients is wondering what the delay is while I got the Canon-in-the-Kazoo. That juice they give you will strip the paint of your car.
    I'd like updates but please, no photos. Poor Seamus, maybe he feels the impending doom. Happy trails!

AlphaCat likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I really hope you can get Seamus feeling better. :bighug:

AlphaCat and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  14. Noah & me (GA)

Daniel recently had a bout of "stuck at the very end", he just had a 1/4 inch to go but it was painful enough we were advised to give him a half dose of Noah's BUPE along with the other appropriate meds. I cringe when I think of all the crap in the air settling down in their food and water. And the water sometimes stinks here. It has since passed, his only medical oddity in all the years we've had him. Better days ahead Seamus! :) ;) :eek: :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  15. Noah & me (GA)

As a victim of many medical oddities, plaster casts, sponge baths etc. which cause pain, then crankiness and finally guilt from being unable to help and the tension that all this causes I would like to offer a seemingly simple piece of advice. No one wants to lay around, unable to do their part, in stifling heat. It gets hot and humid here like the Everglades. If you can afford it get an air conditioner! Just a $200 window unit will do fine. Not a lot to pay for sanity and the comfort of the little ones wearing a fur coat in summer. It will cost a lot more when one of you stabs the other in the eye with a fork. Sorry for stating the obvious, signed "Finding new ways to sit sideways on the toilet/knitting needles for scratching under a cast/staring at the ceiling all night long". Alternate signature, "Mr. Condescending".

AlphaCat likes this.
  16. Lillie

Lillie Member

Let us know what you find out. When my previous cat was severely constipated she would get cramps that effected her gait and I thought it was her leg. I always used Miralax for constipation but that was after she was checked for megacolon and any blockages. If he had a slight fever I'm sure the extreme heat didn't help anything and probably made him feel worse.

AlphaCat likes this.
  17. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Okay update first.
    So I want to call the little monster many expletives while also being gracious for not turning into anything.
    The short story - jerk is fine. Vet could find nothing wrong. Has him on pain meds and wet food and quarantine monitoring to ensure he is peeing normal for 3 days.
    The long story...
    So, my own chronic illness has this lovely little symptom of driving associated narcolepsy. So I don't drive. It's not that I can't drive, it's that I shouldn't drive. I have narrowed the symptom to being more active when the sun is out, or mid day, or if I'm tired or if the fatigue is bad. So if/when I do drive I try to minimize my risk to my little narcolepsy issue. Spouse can't miss work due to the recuperation time needed for the surgery in 2 days. Last night, I was concerned for Seamus' life, not eating, not drinking, not being able to go #2... So the vet was mandatory today. So the only solution was to drive spouse 70 miles one way to work (she has a LONG commute chosen on purpose) then call a couple of the vets to see who can see Seamus. Drive to vet as soon as they open (likely 70 - 90 miles back toward - or past home). The vets on the list to call... Well, we were trying to get established with a local vet within the last couple years since we moved up here. Vet A, has seen a few of our animals, but they rotate doctors, so you never see the same one, and they way overcharged and under-delivered on an issue with our GA dog last year. But still, because we have been a client they may be more amenable to working us in today... Then there's the new vet we thought we were changing to from vet A... Vet B. However, he recently saw Fabby and was fine, but way over-charged us for her care, and I simply don't have another grand to throw around, so Vet B is similar in option to Vet A... Then there's Vet C. A non-profit, 30 minutes past our house whom we have visited their adoption side when we were looking for a new dog. Even though they were farther (distance doesn't necessarily affect the narcolepsy, it just allows a bigger window for it to happen), they would be our cheapest option, but I'm not sure they'd see us as we aren't established. After dropping spouse off, I drove in the direction of the vets. This was the 6am hour, so the sun was just up and not very powerful. The 2-3 hours of sleep last night did keep me worried, so I asked some friends if they could call and chat if necessary. Yay to good friends! I ate my breakfast along the drive as that helps too. I began calling the vet clinic as soon as their website said they were open 7am... but their phone lines weren't turned on. I kept getting the after hours message. Gaw... I drove there anyway. When I got in, the lady behind the desk was pleasant, but also did all the normal things that a business on a schedule tries to manage - "We only see patients by appointment" "We have a full schedule today" "The doctor doesn't come in until later". I was not to be side-tracked. I said... I've been in a car with a cat for 3 hours, and I promise I've been trying to call to get him in since you opened but your lines aren't on. She compromised and said, "How about you leave him here, and we will do our best to work him in as a first available today." I explained about how I shouldn't be driving, but a cat that won't eat/drink/poo is an emergency... so I have driven, perhaps I could just stay with the cat over in the corner until they can work us in so I don't have to add in more driving? She agreed and within a couple hours had us back to the tech and doc.
    So Seamus is a little overweight at 15.8lbs. The doc said it's nothing to worry about because he has a large stature. She couldn't feel much in his colon, but because of my concerns she suggested they do an X-ray to ensure nothing was impacted. I agreed, as that's why I was there. BUT THE WHOLE TIME the jerk was just purring, letting everyone pet him, he even gave kisses - GAVE KISSES - to a tech. There was no sign of any issue. He would let me touch and pet his tail and hind legs, he was outgoing, his normal Seamus non-sick self. Jerk! So they took him back for his X-ray, and he was a little hesitant being picked up so she held him in the hug position. As the tech walked out with him, I over-heard the fawning continuing by others all the way down the hallway.
    So there's nothing in his colon... nothing. no feces at all. Doc said his bladder looked slightly enlarged, but not out of the ordinary for his size. She said she wasn't worried about the booty at all, and if anything wanted to ensure it wasn't a crystals/blockage issue. I assured her I have 2 crystals cats, and I am versed in what to watch out for, and will monitor him for the next 3 days, as she couldn't express any urine in the back because he was nervous. The sweet little baby boy was too shy to pee in front of those pretty girls just fawning all over him. GAAAHHHHH. When we got home, he went to the box and peed immediately. Jerk.
    So, just to be sure this issue is past, he will get his doses of pain meds and wet food and quarantine. But I am confident the little jerk is in the clear completely.
    The whole visit and X-ray, and rabies update cost $142. So grateful they worked us in!!! I scheduled a follow up for Fabby with the same doc, as I asked her some diabetes questions, showed her my spreadsheet, and she responded the way I'd want my vet to respond. So we have found our new permanent vet!!! So there's a silver lining. (Besides my jerk actually being fine, of course.) My day is not done though... I still have to drive 70 miles to pick up my spouse in a little over an hour - which is prime danger zone time for me. I have friend's #'s on standby, and I'll have things to munch on along the way. Also, it's starting to rain here, so maybe the risk of sun will also be gone!
    This week is a doozy!
    P.S. I captured proof of my little jerk in action... should you want to see...
    Make sure you have your sound on - LINK

Maggies Mom Debby likes this.
  18. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thank you as always for the laughs! That portable a/c unit was on my list of luxuries for this year, but then diabetes hit the wallet like a ton of bricks. The landlords have said we can have a window unit, and my illness is heat impacted, so there are many good reasons to get one. And just one very big roadblock... When we thought Seamus was at the brink of death last night we reviewed financial options, and we got to the point we may need to take out a loan to pay for a ER cat visit. This hole we're digging is not making any progress as we seem to just be throwing the dirt right back on top of ourselves. We will get there... one day at a time. We just really do need a break. Seamus having nothing serious is the biggest break we've caught in a while. I hope my spouses surgery fixes the spinal issue because it's the second to last ditch chance and the very last chance is even worse than this weeks spinal surgery.
    The good news is it's really only unbearable where we live for about 14 days all summer. In our valley the wind tends to whip through most of the time keeping even 90 degree temperatures bearable. (We moved up from Florida, which was horrible. I could never even go outside because of the heat and my illness.) So, this is manageable. We have window fans, hard wood floors ice and icee-pops. And I use ice packs and limiting movement on those 14 miserable days.
    A little sacrifice is so worth the beauty we are surrounded by where we are... it makes my heart sing. And that... that's worth everything.
    Oh, and if we can handle it before surgery - we'll be shaving Seamus. He was a lion once in Florida when the matts got uncontrollable. I was thinking dinosaur this time, but today waiting on the vet's X-ray I saw a ginger cat with mutton chops... I think Seamus needs mutton chops. If we get it done I will upload a photo and post in the random and unrelated boards here.

You said in another post no pictures... I got all sad... no more posting cat photos? but I love cat photos... then I realized you mean photos of my spouse and the spine surgery, lol or roto-rooting (Which I get to have on a regular schedule - yay sickies...) no worries. I will not post those photos - only cats... forever cats (and my cat-dog). My goodness I need sleep. 9pm is so far away...

Thank you all!!!

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a day you've had!! I'm glad that Seamus is OK - very handsome boy too! :D

AlphaCat likes this.
  20. Lillie

Lillie Member

Sometimes due to the adrenaline from stress at the Vet's they will seem a lot more active and alert than at home when they're not feeling well.

AlphaCat likes this.
  21. Noah & me (GA)

Hey! Cats have feelings too. I know this because when I've had enough of Lewis he actually feels where I spray him. He is Jerk #2, just eats for the sake of eating, forgets his food, portion and plate are identical to Noah's and bumps Noah off his food. Then I pick him up (Big Fatty-Pants is his other name) and plop him in front of his dish, "Oh, where'd that come from?" Sometimes I call him D.A.D. (dime-a-dozen) because he is a plain grey cat. But... capable of incredible acts of compassion and he can catch treats like a Lab eating his last meal. Smart? On a techs advice she said if you keep threatening him with the spray bottle but don't actually spray he'll call your bluff. Well I'll show you who has the bigger brain!
    Sounds like that one receptionist/tech thinks she's working at the Mayo clinic.
    I also have some neurological issues but my doctor trusts me re: driving and luckily everything here is either walkable or an $8 cab ride (NOT a Goober, a real cab!).
    It is my wish of the day to let you know "I feel your pain", just like Bill C. However, I did inhale and definitely had *** with that woman.
    Feel better now? I know I do until I get the bill for our 04 Cavalier. Come on, just one more winter and then it's Subaru time. Arf Arf Aroo!!!
    ;) :coffee: :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  22. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Oh Kris & Teasel... still the fawning continues through the internet, lol.
    He is a pretty boy, and he knows it my goodness.
    Heaven help us all - lol.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  23. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

@Noah & me - you make me literally laugh out loud...
    but I could just be in that delirious phase...
    I'm going to go with you are funny guy, and thank you!

24. Noah & me (GA)

Okay, photos. My birthday was last month and because it was my 60th and I'm both sick AND demented I asked my wife if the whole year was going to be an after-birth-year. After.....Birth. Mmmm, I'm a little peckish right now, what's for dinner? Oh look, if you're squeamish just don't look. I mean, we do pick apart cat poo right?

Attached Files:

25. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

He also get's very stressed from the car ride. But also... he's a jerk. He's home and he's already trying to escape quarantine so he can be center of attention. Man I love this jerk.

26. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

@Noah & me - I see I shouldn't compliment you any longer as it only seems to encourage you, lol...
    That was gross. More gross than cat poop. I mean, I love my cat... donated placenta - no thanks.

27. Noah & me (GA)

Okay, here kitty. He's so cute! Forgiven? Noah's brother, opposite of jerk.

Attached Files:

AlphaCat likes this.
  28. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

He looks a bit like my Bandit. I'll have to find a photo and upload it when I get done with my drive.

29. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Glad Seamus is cleared OK and you found a new Vet! I'll be honest though, I think that was self-soothing purring. To me, he looks scared. :oops:
    PS. He is adorable!

AlphaCat likes this.
  30. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Seamus totally does a defensive purr. The video likely was what you are seeing. I am standing on the side of the table to give him a corner to hide in. However, the little jerk kissed the tech... iniated the kiss - so he totally doesn't get a free pass.
    (I'm really glad he's okay too. He gave me a fright last night that my heart just wasn't going to be able to handle.)

P.S. I'm not telling him you called him adorable... his head's already HUGE! ;) but thank you!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  31. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Another Seamus update, and ideas requested...

So when we went to the vet, she couldn't get him to express urine, but his X-ray of his color was empty, so she was more worried about urinary issues. She sent us home with pain meds and the directions to watch his urine output, keep on wet food, and monitor for 3 days.

He was quarantined with Fabby for those three days. He went pee in the litter box as soon as we got home. His urine output has been regular and good. His bowel movements have been good sized and color, a little soft from the wet food, but overall normal.

Spouse had spine surgery, so he didn't get the pain meds on schedule, but since her concern was urinary, and he doesn't have a problem there, I wasn't incredibly worried.

The only lingering symptom from before is he is hesitant to jump on anything. He's a tree dweller, so this is unusual. He looks like he wants to jump, but then it looks like there's pain in his hind legs. He has actually jumped on things, but he always looks hesitant just before.

I have been brushing to ensure no matts, but he is still real sensitive if I try to brush his hind end - this is pretty normal.

Today I was brushing, since his hair is longer in some places, like the neck fluff, I use one hand and the brush to make sure the hair doesn't tangle in the brush. One of the times I moved my hand in and he grabbed my finger and chomped down. It was like slow motion. I thought he was going to crunch through the bones of my pinky finger. I screamed in pain and he let go and jumped down and away. He's not a biter. This has never happened before. And I wasn't doing anything I haven't done before. To me, this says he's in massive pain.

I took care of my finger, then fed the cats and gave Seamus a dose of his pain med. He's been laying in a spot ever since.
    He's not doing any of the behaviors from Wednesday that caused me for alarm, but it clearly seems there is still a problem. I'll be calling the vet on tomorrow morning, and she should be able to get him back in.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Or where we should start looking for answers once we get to the vet?

I'm going to quarantine him back with Fabby and try to catch a urine sample in case he gets pee shy for the ladies tomorrow. Anything else I might want to do?

I think the emotional betrayal of the bite hurts worse than the actual bite. But my buddy is in pain, so I forgive him. I just need to help him.

32. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

We took Seamus back to the vet today, and the vet poked and felt him up, and he's fine.
    She seemed to be focused that the bite was behavioral instead of pain induced. He's eating, drinking, and pottying just fine and while in the office was a perfect angel of course.
    On the plus side, I did collect my own urine sample from him this morning to bring in. That was fun. I had the ladle, and laid in wait... he came and got to business. He's really fluffy so I had to pick up his tail to get the ladle under there. He looked back confused, and then began spinning in the litter box - while still peeing! I thought I was about to have a helicopter of pee. It didn't get that far, but in the moment, woah. Urine tested perfect, so no issues there either.

So we were sent home with pain meds in case we notice signs like he stops eating, or starts hiding.
    So basically diagnosis is: my cat's a jerk.
    I suppose that's good news.
    He's getting shaved tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.