Help with switch from Royal Canin to low carb

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer R., Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

My 9 year old diabetic rescue was put on 2.5 units of Lantus insulin by the shelter I adopted him from, and on l/4 cup of Royal Canin Glucobalance dry food and 1/2 can Royal Canin Glucobalance wet food every twelve hours with the insulin. I am interested in switching him to a low carb diet, but I'm not sure how to calculate how much insulin to give him on the lower carb diet. I am very math phobic, so I don't even know how to calculate how many carbs he is getting. Can someone point me to the values, or how to calculate them? I have just gotten a glucose meter, but didn't get lancets or the other stuff required yet, so I can't use it until I get it all.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Do not start a diet change until you can test. Switching to a low carb diet can drop a cat's numbers up to 100 points – hence the need to test.
    A diet change should be introduced slowly so that you can test blood sugar and make insulin adjustments.
    Foods below 10% are considered low carb (LC). Fancy Feast pates and Friskies pates are low carb.
    Foods between 10% and 15% are considered medium carb (MC).
    Foods over 15% are considered high carb (HC).
    It is good to have a couple of cans of MC and HC at the back of the cupboard in case of a low number situation.
    Here is a link to the food charts. For wet foods, the carb values have already been worked out for you.
    Also:
    The Royal Canin Glycobalance cans are 14% carbs – a hoity toity name is the only thing this cat food has going for it.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  3. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Yes, that's what I thought, I wasn't planning on trying to change anything until I could test. The chart doesn't list his food right now, so I don't have a starting point from which to begin.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.... great advice from Red and Rover.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Which food are you considering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.