? Help with yet another sick cat. I already have an appointment, but...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glennie, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glennie

Glennie Member

Another of our cats, Tabitha, has been vomiting up frothy stuff today. I can't get her to eat, and she has the diarrhea. I have tried several foods, even Callie's chicken baby food. She tried to pee, but the little that came out has blood in it. I have an appointment scheduled for this afternoon, but just wondered what you guys think. Sammy was having trouble going poo the other night, our dog has CHF and her eyes are sinking back into her head, Callie has FD, and now this. A little overwhelmed here, and oh, yes, my daughter's surgery that still hasn't healed after 8 months. What do I need to ask the vet this afternoon at Tabitha's appointment? What do I need to be aware of? Any ideas? Sorry to keep bothering everyone.

2. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Sorry to hear your crew is sick :(

Kinda sounds like Tabitha may have a urinary tract infection if she had blood in her urine. As for the foamy vomit, that sounds like acid in her tummy from not eating. When you go to the vet ask for an appetite stimulant & if she continues to not eat you will need to start syringe feeding. Cats must have food on board or it can cause of bunch of other issues.

I would recommend a quarter of a tablet of Pepcid ac for the tummy. Make sure it's the regular strength though.

For the diarrhea you can give her some pumpkin. Start with a teaspoon twice a day & see how she does. Make sure it's pure pumpkin not the pumpkin pie filling.

Lastly don't forget to update us when you get back from the vet!

Good luck!

Glennie and Squalliesmom like this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Tabitha not feeling well and your daughter not healing after 8 months.
    This is just my opinion. The blood in the urine makes me think UTI. The vomiting and diarrhea makes me think something gastrointestinal is going on. Also read that you might want to take away food and water away for at least 2 hours as it can further irritate her tummy.
    Would still do some hydration tests by doing the "skin snap", where you pinch a little bit of her skin on her body and see if it goes back flat fast or slow. If Callie is feeling fine you can try the skin test on her to compare time to Tabitha.

Hopefully more experienced members will chime in. Good luck :bighug:

Glennie likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You definitely have more than your fair share to deal with right now! Sending prayers and vines for you, your family and your kitty crew. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Glennie likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Glennie, you're not bothering anyone. Sick dogs and cats are one thing, a sick child is another thing altogether! Please feel free to vent, plead and "bother" us whenever you need to. This would not be a community if you felt you could not. We all care more than you know.

Susan and Timmy and Glennie like this.
  6. Glennie

Glennie Member

Skin doesn't seem to go back slow. Thanks so much for responding!

7. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you very much. I appreciate it more than I can say. Both child and cat have appointments soon so I'd better get ready. :bighug:

8. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for prayers and vines! Appreciate it so much!:bighug:

9. Glennie

Glennie Member

I will update when I get back. Glad I don't have far to go since we're having a snowstorm. Thanks for recommendations. I'll follow through. Appreciate it so much.

10. Noah & me (GA)

I can only repeat what others are thinking. To take real care of the ones you love you yourself have to remain healthy; in body and spirit. Those are easy words to say especially when we are here, not there with you. I've tried to do it and ended up a mess for months. Try hard to get rest, eat well and ask for help. Your appreciation is welcome but if life means anything we all have to really care about each other. It's exhausting isn't it?
    Dickson and Cynthia. Noah, Andy, Lewis, Sam, Daniel and Marco.

Glennie likes this.
  11. Glennie

Glennie Member

Just got back from doctor for daughter and vet for Tabitha. They are keeping Tab overnight to give her anti-vomiting meds, antibiotics, and hydration. She thinks it may be colitis, but they're checking for UTI also. If she improves then I'll bring her home as soon as possible. If she isn't much better tomorrow they're going to do more tests, bloodwork and all. Since she has been doing so well until just this morning, they're hoping it's an easy fix. I really hate leaving her overnight. She was so scared. I don't know her story before my mom got her from the pound, but she scares so easily. Thanks again. I'll let you know more when I know anything.

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

13. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Yeah, life can get exhausting. And I will definitely be asking for help. LOL

14. Glennie

Glennie Member

And hugs back! Thanks! :bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  15. Glennie

Glennie Member

Just a Tabitha update: I just picked her up. All her bloodwork came back normal which is great news. The vet is pretty sure it was colitis. She sent her home with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. She ate last night at the vets' office and had no more vomiting after the anti-nausea meds kicked in. I thought she was straining to pee, but that was her trying to poop because of the cramping. No sign of UTI. So I guess we'll see. She is so glad to be home. Thanks everyone for your advice and your concern and caring.:bighug: Hope everyone has a great day!

16. Noah & me (GA)

That's great news. Tabitha belongs on your lap at home, not in a stainless steel prison. No wonder she's glad to be home.

Glennie likes this.
  17. Glennie

Glennie Member

Yes, she does! I felt terrible last night after leaving her there, but she is so much better. So thankful! Now I hope she stays that way. Thanks again! :bighug:

18. Noah & me (GA)

My vet told me once that a dog staying overnight at the vet's is always glad to see you but visiting sick kitty sometimes backfires. They see you leaving and think you'll never come back. Like being visited in the hospital but no one brings you food or a book, then complains about the parking meter running out and it's poof, out the door! Why did you bother coming at all?

Glennie likes this.
  19. Glennie

Glennie Member

:D I wish they could understand we'll be coming back for them. Kenneling my dogs always makes me feel terrible since they get so upset. Your hospital analogy was cute. :) BTW, Tabitha has done really well today. She's been eating and drinking fine with no signs of vomiting or tummy upset. Yay!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  20. Noah & me (GA)

There's a huge kennel in Southern Ontario called Redwood. They are fantastic; every dog has an outside view, different size kennels for small and big dogs, an in-ground pool with a water slide (closely supervised) and a few acres with pathways lined with cedar chips. If you pay more they'll get a Pamper Me Silly option. One Christmas they gave Hannah a gift, a huge rawhide bone, a Kong chew toy etc. One summer when we went to pick her up we stood behind the fence watching her and her new friends having way too much fun in the pool. Unfortunately this area also has a "Rent a pony for your kids birthday party". They bring a trailer with ponies right to your tiny back yard. I have to wonder what they drug them with to get the required insurance. I'd rather see the bouncy castle flying across the neighborhood. Remember when you just had your 4 best friends over and your mom baked a cake? This is what happens when everything turns into a contest. And of course the My kid is smarter than your kid thing. Don't see those bumper stickers anymore, "My child is on the honor roll". So what, my kid doesn't pick his nose and eat it!
    Happy to hear about Tabitha, live long and prosper.

Glennie likes this.
  21. Glennie

Glennie Member

It sounds like a fantastic place to kennel your dog. What breed is Hannah? I guess there is a kennel near Denver that has a pool for dogs. We're about 1 1/2 hours from Denver so it's not really feasible plus Phoebe (our Newfoundland) doesn't like water. LOL What Newfoundland doesn't like water?! I know what you mean about the parties for the kids anymore. It does get a little crazy. My dad actually bought one of those ponies for my sister and me when we were little. He would have brought them all home if he could have. Midnight was the best pony. He followed me all over our place like a puppy dog. Thanks for your good wishes for Tabitha. She is doing well today. Yay!

22. Noah & me (GA)

Hannah was a Border Collie. As smart as a 6 year old kid but they come with all kinds of neurotic problems that we were unprepared for. Kids absolutely adored her and when she died last year I had people I didn't even know telling me how sorry they were. She was the protector of all our cats and they all loved her. .Some of the kennels I see scare me. The only thing I want to see on your resume is that you love animals
    My sister went to a Bar Mitzvah and every table had an electric guitar for one "lucky" person. What happened to taking home the floral arrangement? The poor kids are the unhappiest people there. My sisters live somewhere where you're judged on what prestigious private school your kids attend. That doesn't happen here, you can talk to kids in the park without the parents calling 911. I hate those idiotic Maclaren baby strollers. Do you really need to hog the entire shopping aisle and then pack up 2 bags of groceries in a Hummer?
    We adore horses, my father in-law ran a working heritage site with Clydesdales so my wife had a choice, Barbie's Country Camper or going to work with Daddy. I heard Ken went to prison with Skipper for stealing Barbie's royalty cheques. I never did trust Ken, what 17 year old buys their V-neck sweaters at Sears?

Glennie likes this.
  23. Glennie

Glennie Member

I've heard that about Border Collies; they are so intelligent they need to be occupied all the time. But they sure are sweet and beautiful. I'm sorry you lost her last year. We lost our German wire-hair pointer last year, Berit. She was a wonderful girl, and she left a big hole in our lives and hearts. Wow, a guitar, huh?! Wonder what that little party cost? So I assume your wife chose going to work with Daddy and the Clydesdales. How fun! You and your wife have a great day!

24. Noah & me (GA)

re Horses There are two horse tracks near here that have figured out slot machines make more money than betting on horses. Are people really this stupid? Where do they think the horses will go? Oh I know! Restaurants in France. Okay, I eat chickens but not cows and pigs so I'm kind of a hypocrite but a horse! I know the always-wise government wants to get rid of those pesky wild horses in Canada and parts of the U.S. Just leave them alone, haven't we screwed up the planet enough? I have better news. In a lot of places you have to enter a lottery to get a permit to murder a grizzly bear. Someone realized you don't have to be a hunter to enter the lottery. Take your permit and line the litter box with it! Now there are laws about not using drones to "annoy" hunters. How about a drone that looks just like a duck and explodes when you put it in the back of your Hummer? Isn't science great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.