Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by G3rtrud3, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

Gertrude was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. We switched her over to wet food, and her levels returned to normal. We usually test her levels once a day or once every other day. (She gets kind of violent when we test her.) For the past week her levels have been in the 60's and 70's. After I test her, I usually give her a little dry food and some snacks. We haven't changed anything in her diet and I'm worried. What should I do?
    Edit: We don't give her any insulin

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Those are not bad numbers at all! Especially with her not being on insulin. There is no need to worry or to give her extra carbs to try and bring those numbers up. Are you using a human meter? If so, keep in mind that her actual numbers are even a little bit higher than what you see.

3. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

I am using a human meter. I had no idea that her numbers are a little bit higher. Thank you for letting me know!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Those are wonderful normal numbers. Why does that worry you? Normal on a human meter is 50-120

5. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

I googled what normal glucose levels should be for cats and it said 120-300. Since she's been testing in the 60/70's, I've just been worried. It's nice to know that her levels are normal :)

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

No that's not correct. Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150.

7. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

Okay, Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.