Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alle_31, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alle_31

Alle_31 New Member

Hey. I have an old cat. He is almost 15 years old. One month ago he was diagnosed with diabetes. He is not responding to insulin. I have tried mixtard up to 5 unites twice a day then moved to caninsulin 4 units twice a day. He never drops below 400. He does not respond to an increase in doze or change of insulin. Nothing! And I am giving him insulin for over a mobth. I have no idea what to do... Has anybody experienced anything like this? Thank you

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Alle, welcome. I understand your frustration, we can help. Are you home testing? What are you feeding?

3. Alle_31

Alle_31 New Member

I am home testing and also at the vet. I feed him dry food for diabetes Royal canin or hilis.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Those dry foods are pretty high in carbs. A diet change to high-protein, low-carb wet food might make a big difference. (When making a change like that, you have to monitor glucose carefully since they can drop and less insulin may be needed.)

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Great that you are home testing! If you set up our spreadsheet it’ll help you, your vet and us see what’s going on. Here are the instructions, if you need help let us know and we’ll do it for you
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    The food you are feeding is very high in carbs and is probably causing at least some of the insulin resistance. The best food is a low carb wet food. It’s very important that you test as you slowly transition to the new food. What country are you in so we can help you choose a food?

6. Alle_31

Alle_31 New Member

I am in Romania. Thank you

7. Alle_31

Alle_31 New Member

Thank you. What food should I choose?

8. Sharon14

I’m not sure what you have available in Romania. You want a wet food that has no starches, such as potato, any grain, tapioca, etc. @FurBabiesMama I’m on my way out, don’t we have a food list for Europe?

9. Sharon14

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.