Hemobart - Does it ever go away?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen and Fred, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Hello everyone!

Fred (diagnosed 12/09) has just completed his 3 weeks of Doxycycline and Prednisolone. His BG's are running around 110 and his PCV/TS tested today at 38. That's a far cry from 14 2 months ago! The Vet thinks we've conquered the Hemobart parasite, but said we may see it come up again?

Is that right? and is it because he's diabetic? Is there something I can do -- diet, etc. -- to keep the anemia from reoccurring?

I'm working hard to get him back to diet controlled BG's, as we were before this nightmare all started. Fred's just 10 and is a large strong boy, but this thing really laid him low. I'd hate the think the disease is permanent.

Appreciate your comments.

Kathleen & Fred

2. vansplic

vansplic Member

When my vet thought Itty had Hemobart (before I fired him) he said that it was caused by fleas. But... I did fire him so that tells you my level of confidence! He said it usually goes away with the antibiotics and did not mention it coming back as some illnesses do.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

There is a small possibility. The antibiotics get rid of all of it most of the time, but some times it brings it almost gone (to a level the immune system can manage). Many kitties out there are carriers and show absolutely no signs though. The big thing that could *possibly* cause it to come back would be a continued high stress situation, or any illness that causes a prolonged drain on his system (thereby making the immune system and overall body function weaker). Keep your kid happy and healthy, and you should have nothing to worry about!!!!!!! Yoda goes back in on Tuesday to get his RBC levels rechecked. We just finished our 3 week doxy round last week too! I hope to have good news to add to Fred's!

4. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Fred says he has his paws crossed for Yoda! This has been a long hot summer, hasn't it!!

By the way, what is a normal PCV level? No one has ever told me.

And, one more thing, how much food should a diabetic cat get? Fred weighs around 16.5 lbs, Lucy 11, and Bella 10. Someone said they should get their weight in food ounces each day? Is that right? Also, I wondered if a diabetic should eat more frequently -- may less at each meal. That's why I did with Fred and got him off insulin. But, we're around 120BG, now, so diet isn't controlling any more.

Thanks again for your continued good advice and input.

Keep us posted!

Kathleen & Fred

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

For an unregulated diabetic cat, you feed as much as they will eat since they are not processing food properly. For a semi regulated to regulated kitty I have heard many many different things. My vet told me around 9oz of food for Oscar's goal of 13 pounds.

I don't know the goal number for PCV ... I always rely on the print out to tell me what is in range :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.