Here we go again. Another diabetic kitty. It's been 4 years...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Minnie's Mom, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minnie's Mom

Minnie's Mom New Member

I previously had a diabetic cat who was diagnosed at age 4 and was fairly well regulated for over 10 years. She developed hyperthyroidism in her last year and we just couldn't win that battle. She died 4 years ago.

So... here I am again. Minnie is a 16 years old, female cat. I noticed excess drinking/urination a couple of weeks ago. Borrowed a glucometer and tested her... 375.... Took her to vet to get blood workup and check for any infection. She's healthy except for diabetes. No ketones, good kidneys, etc. She's only lost about 5% of her body weight. Down to 10.2 lbs.

When I had previous kitty, Trixie, I used Humulin N with great success. Success for 10 years is pretty good. Anyway, I realize that now there are new insulins to look at since last time I researched, it was the years 2000-2001.

I'm shocked at price of Lantus. Not sure if I should try Lantus or PZI. Vet has left decision up to me. We've worked well before so he trusts me. Also, what's best glucometer? Also shocked at the price of the test strips now. Sticker shock!!! Anyway, I'm adjusting her food for the next 5 days and then we will start the battle with insulin.

Need advise on which insulin, cost, where to buy, glucometers, test strips.

Thanks!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Minnie's Mom and sugarkitty Minnie and welcome to the FDMB. Would you share your first name with us please?

Many of us use Lantus, Levimir or Prozinc because they give longer duration of action, are gentler in dropping the BG levels after the injection, have better chances of remission. Lantus and Levimir are often best purchased in the pen version (think mini vial 3 ml) instead of the 10 ml vial. The pens last to the last drop unlike a vial which can poop out in effectiveness after 3-6 months.

Member @BJM has a great write up on the cost per unit. Don't know where it is, but I've tagged her to come peek at your post.

Purchasing via Canadian pharmacy can get you a much lower price.
    Relion Confirm or Micro glucometers available at Wal-mart have one of the lowest prices on test strips and only need a 0.3 microliter blood drop. Relion Prime meter has test strips that are half the price of the Confirm/Micro but you need a 0.5 microliter blood drop. The Arkray meters are the unbranded version of the Relion meters and are available at ADWdiabetes.com

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In order to compare costs, you must calculate the cost per unit, not the upfront cost.
    Here are some examples
    And Vet Rx Direct appears to sell 1 pen at a time.

4. Minnie's Mom

Minnie's Mom New Member

Thanks so much for the information! Also, I've seen a reference to waiting "3 cycles" for a change in insulin. Does that mean 3 days? I used to wait at least 10 -14 days for my dose to settle in before making a change.

Thanks!

Patti

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No, that means waiting 3 shot cycles of 12 hours.

Edited to add: the 3 cycles is for ProZinc, and possibly PZI.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Those wait times are dependent on which insulin you pick, how your cat is reacting to the insulin, what insulin protocol you are using to regulate your cat, etc..........

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If she saw 3 cycles, she was reading about ProZinc, or possibly PZI.

8. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Welcome Patti and Minnie! :bighug:

I wrote up this quick reference guide about the various types of insulin now available for felines that might be of help for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.