Hi All! New dx for my 10 year-old Monroe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by monroeZtoes, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monroeZtoes

monroeZtoes New Member

Hi everyone! We've been reading the wealth of information on this site for the past couple weeks. Now finally introducing ourselves!

Well, after a gut feeling that Monroe (warmly referred to as Monroesy-Toes by kids and adults alike) was probably diabetic (a noticeable increase in thirst/urination, and favoring his hind legs), I got him to the vet on Monday, where his BG was 433. He (and his two siblings) have been lifetime dry food eaters. Whoops, my bad. :(

Thankfully, all his other labs came out great, no ketones, kidney function and everything else was A-OK.

Vet started us on Prozinc immediately - 2units/twice a day. I hadn't yet read that we really should have tried to start "lower and slower", so I'm hoping he isn't getting too much since I had already started incorporating high protein/low carb wet food (thanks to catinfo.org) about a week before I got him checked.

He's currently at the vet now undergoing his first glucose curve, which I really wish I could have been prepared to do at home, but with my work schedule this week, it was easier just to get this first one done at the vet...

I've been reading up about both the Relion Micro and the AlphaTrak 2 monitors (using the freestyle lite strips), trying to decide which route I should go.

Just want to give a shout out to each and every person reading this, and who has made this forum what it is. It's SO HELPFUL and comforting to read through, especially when your vet is a bit behind the times...

--Natalie

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow what unusual markings!! So unique!

I use the Alphatrak with insulinx strips and alpha strips. It's a great meter. Many on here use Walmart brand Relion. Either one is fine too use. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

If we can help in any way just say the word. :)

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Hi @monroeZtoes & welcome to the FDMB.

He's fab. How old is he?

Seems like you've got a good handle on the way to go so look forward to seeing you around the place.

5. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Welcome Natalie and Monroe!

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

7. Mauro & Batu

Mauro & Batu New Member

Welcome Natalie and Monroe, reading your story is very similar to mine with Batuffolo (diagnoses this monday), today i do my first blood sugar test at home and in these day with a little experience i will do first curve starting 2u of Lantus two time in a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.