Hi from Zoe and her human Mouse

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmouse, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmouse

msmouse New Member

My kitty Zoe is going to be 17 in June. She's been having health problems the last few years. Started out with chronic UTI's, we special order litter for her. Then her eye sight started to go so the whole house is lit up with night lights. Our vet said she's a bit senile too. We bought stairs so she could get into the beds that arthritis made impossible for her to jump onto. We have changed foods and gone to mostly wet food, I buy her B.F.F. which is supposed to be great for older cats.

Two weeks ago I took her in to our vet for a suspected UTI. She's been yowling at me when going to the bathroom. It was a different sound than she has ever made. She has lost 2 pounds since the previous visit (2 months before)
    Her BG was checked during the visit and came back with 320 (I think). Vet thought perhaps she was spiking due to UTI so we decided to try 2 weeks of antibiotics. He had hoped that her glucose would come down but I am not seeing any improvement.
    She's drinking and peeing like crazy, still yowling and just generally looks (and smells) terrible.

Anyway that's our recent history in a nutshell. I'm now at the point of a followup visit and having to decide what we do next.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB :bighug:

When you say that Zoe "looks (and smells) terrible". What kind of smell do you mean?
    Is it a smell like acetone/peardrops? Some ketones smell like this.

You can test Zoe's urine for ketones using Ketodiastix strips (available from most pharmacies). A bit of crumpled plastic food wrap in the litter tray can help to catch a sample; you only need a teeny weeny amount.
    Anything above a trace level is a reason for a vet visit. Ketones in the system can develop into Ketoacidosis which is a veterinary emergency.

Is Zoe eating OK? Does she have a normal appetite?

Eliz

msmouse likes this.
  3. msmouse

msmouse New Member

She is eating in her normal fashion. I'm not sure what the deal is with the smell, to be honest. I thought her anal glands were blocked up but the vet said they were fine. She's leaking a brownish liquid. You can see it when she sits somewhere, it leaves a little mark and it smells terrible! It doesn't smell like acetone. I don't have anything to really compare it to. We are headed back to the vet this week.
    I give her a bath once a week and wipe her down nightly. She's not able to groom herself, half because she just can't reach.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could be infected anal glands. When infected the fluid can really smell.

msmouse likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Zoe is blessed to have such a lovely human mouse! And she looks gorgeous in her avatar pic. :)

Has your vet checked Zoe's kidney function?

msmouse likes this.
  6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Is she pooping OK? Or could she be constipated?
    Sometimes the poop gets stuck and liquid leaks out around it (sorry to be so graphic..).

msmouse likes this.
  7. msmouse

msmouse New Member

You probably couldn't gross me out. I'm a nursing student and a mom :)
    She is pooping normally. I thought that too, so I watched. I'm wondering if it is her anal glands leaking though?

Her abdomen is soft and non tender. Not constipated, anal glands are not impacted. Kidney and liver function came back ok too. Vet said its not kidney disease or renal failure.
    Im trying to get her in tomorrow for a second check.

8. Critter Mom

Good news on the functional results. :) Fingers and paws crossed your vet will be able to determine the problem and help Zoe feel better.

msmouse likes this.
  9. msmouse

msmouse New Member

Thank you all for the replies! I've been so worried about her.

10. Critter Mom

It goes with the territory. :bighug:

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Diabetic neuropathy might explain mild incontinence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.