Hi I'm new using lantus, and I have many doubts

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julieta villarreal, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julieta villarreal

julieta villarreal New Member

¡¡Hola!! ¿Cómo estás? Soy de Argentina. Hace cuatro meses descubrí mi gato sufría de diabetes cuando se le diagnosticó cetoacidosis diabética y comenzó el tratamiento con Caninsulin. Este tipo de insulina no es efectiva en su caso. En menos de 12 horas después de la dosis, su nivel de azúcar en la sangre es de entre 340 y 460. Hace un mes, ella comenzó una dieta libre de hidratos de carbono, que sólo come carne cruda y todavía tiene niveles altos de azúcar en la sangre.

El 18 de diciembre empezamos a usar Lantus, éstos eran sus registros, aquí su formulario.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wk6Yc29Mi-Ptv9ZwoFPF49w_7NR94nn9L2u2wM8JMXM/edit?usp=sharing

El December 18, mi gato estaba en los 100's en tiempo de disparo después de que le di 2u (por error) en la mañana, así que disparar Dejase't a las 7:30 pm, pero me tiro a las 10:00 pm en su lugar. También creo que el gato está rebotando.

Yo quería saber cómo debería continuar con las dosis ?? ¡muchas gracias!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Bienvenido Julieta!

No hablo español pero estoy marcando otro miembro que también vive en Argentina. Espero que ella pueda ayudar

@Silvina

julieta villarreal likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Acabo de hablar con Silvina y entender que te envió al Foro. Intentaremos ayudarle lo mejor que podamos con las diferencias de idioma. Tenemos algunos otros miembros que hablan español pero puede tomarme un poco de tiempo para encontrarlos.

Estoy usando Google para traducir así que por favor disculpe cualquier error

4. Chris & China (GA)

Repitiendo lo que publiqué en Facebook

Qué sucede, cuando usted da demasiada insulina es que el hígado del gato reacciona a los números bajos que no está acostumbrado liberando los azúcares almacenados y las hormonas para traer la glucosa de la sangre de nuevo rápidamente. Lo llamamos "rebote". Puede tardar hasta 6 ciclos (3 días) para que estos azúcares y hormonas despejen el cuerpo por lo que por ahora, me limitaría a mantener en 1 unidad y seguir publicando en el Foro para que podamos ver cómo lo hace durante los próximos días antes Decidir si necesita ser aumentada

In English:

Julieta--Hello!! How are you? I am from Argentina. Four months ago I discovered my cat suffered from diabetes when he was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis and started treatment with Caninsulin. This type of insulin is not effective in your case. In less than 12 hours after the dose, her blood sugar level is between 340 and 460. A month ago, she started a carbohydrate-free diet, which only eats raw meat and still has high sugar levels in the blood. On December 18 we started using Lantus, these were his records, here his form.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wk6Yc29Mi-Ptv9ZwoFPF49w_7NR94nn9L2u2wM8JMXM/edit?usp=sharing

On December 18, my cat was in the 100's on shoot time after I gave him 2u (by mistake) in the morning, so I did not shoot at 7:30 pm, but I shot him at 10:00 pm instead. I also think the cat is bouncing. I wanted to know how I should continue with the doses ?? thank you very much!

ME-- I just spoke with Silvina and understand that she sent you to the Forum. We will try to help you as best we can with the language differences. We have some other members who speak Spanish but can take a little time to find them.

I am using Google to translate so please forgive any errors

ME--

Repeating what I posted on Facebook

What happens, when you give too much insulin is that the cat's liver reacts to the low numbers it is not accustomed by releasing stored sugars and hormones to bring blood glucose back quickly. We call it "rebound". It may take up to 6 cycles (3 days) for these sugars and hormones to clear the body so for now, I would just keep on 1 unit and keep posting on the Forum so we can see how it does for the next few days before Deciding If it needs to be increased

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. julieta villarreal

Thanks for the explanation, I did not know which dose to follow tomorrow. Now I know that with 1 ui. (I'm using google translator)

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Bienvenidos, Julieta.

Me alegra que nos hayas encontrado. Haremos todo lo posible para ayudarle a usted ya su gatito, a pesar de los problemas de idioma.

¿Cuál es el nombre de tu gato?

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. julieta villarreal

When my sister is not translating ..I use the google translate. Susan is the name of my cat.
    Thank you for helping me, many times I do not know how to continue

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome. I see Silvina has been helping you on FB. She is a great source of information, especially on the different foods and medications available in Argentina. Perhaps you could ask her to hep you set up a spreadsheet to record your glucose numbers so you and others can get a better picture on how the insulin is working for Susan. The more information you have the easier it is to give advice with the dosing.

:bighug: :bighug:

9. Tuxedo Mom

10. julieta villarreal

Yes, silvina is helping me a lot!
    And make the spreadsheet, I do not know how to do it so that everyone can see it. I started it 2 days ago

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  11. Tuxedo Mom

You could add it to your "signature" . At the top of this page if you hold your mouse cursor over your name in the bar at the top right it will show a drop down box with "Signature" in it. If you click on this it takes you to a box where you can paste the link for your spreadsheet. You can also put in the type of insulin you are using, type of food you are feeding, any other health problems, your kitty's name and when diagnosed. I am not the best at explaining technical processes but I hope this makes sense. If not perhaps Silvina can help since she has done this already for herself on here.

12. julieta villarreal

Yes, I understood your directions I already uploaded the form in "signature".
    I'm going to wait for my sister to complete more data, so translate me since the online translator is not very good

LizzieInTexas and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  13. Tuxedo Mom

Wonderful!!! I can see your spreadsheet and your sister can help with the other information when she is able to!! [​IMG]

14. julieta villarreal

15. Tuxedo Mom

16. julieta villarreal

perfect! Thank you so much, I'll translate them now

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Susan es muy bonita!

18. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Bonito gato. Parece que le gusta Lantus! Bienvenido (usando el traductor google).

19. julieta villarreal

20. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help you. :) ¡Bienvenido! Te podemos ayudar.

21. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

@Veronica & Babu-chiri lives in Mexico City...maybe she also speaks Spanish and could be of some help. I do know she works many hours though.

22. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hola Julieta, bienvenida al foro!!

Con mucho gusto tratare de apoyarte, no tengo mucha experiencia apenas empece a usar Lantus hace unos meses, pero lo que si puedo hacer es ayudar con la traduccion voy a estar pendiente

Ok translation for everyone else :

Hi Julieta, welcome to the forum!!

I'll be very glad to help you, I don't have much experience, I started using Lantus a few months ago, but I can help with the translation and will be following her posts

23. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Julieta siguiendo un poco los mensajes te sugieren que ademas de poner la liga a la hoja de cálculo en tu firma también pongas su nombre, su edad, desde cuando es diabética, la inuslina que estas usando, que medidor de glucosa estás usando , que tipo de comida le das y si tiene algún otro problema médico, esto sería muy útil para todos en el foro

Y cuando decidas cual de los protocolos vas a seguir pues también lo indiques

24. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Is it any wonder I love the members here so much! :D

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Julienta, siguiendo con los posts voy a tratar de resumir algunos de los comentarios que estoy viendo:

Tuxedo mom:

Sugiere que veas si puedes conseguir de las jeringas que traen marcas en medias unidades ya que las que estan utilizando tienen solo marcas en unidades completas y tambien te sugiere que revises la información en los "stickies" amarillos ( los mensajes que estan marcados y fijos al principio) de la pagina
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

For everyone else:

In my previous post and this one I tanslated some of the suggestions you all made that I found, the one about the information for her signature and Tuxedo mom suguestion about the seringes and the yellow stickies

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  26. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for helping Veronica! :bighug::bighug::bighug: I totally failed Spanish :oops:

27. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Glad I can help and bare with saying things in spanish usully requires a lot more words than in English so it may seem like a lot when you all just wrote one line.

28. julieta villarreal

Hi girls! Today his AMPS 530. shoot him 1 ui. (Lantus)
    +4 243
    +5 128
    To avoid another somogyi effect, I gave canned wiska food. it's okay?

29. julieta villarreal

Hola veronica! Que bueno poder escribir sin usar el traductor de google jajaj.
    Muchas gracias por ayudarme, mi hermana es traductora de ingles pero al no vivir con ella se me complica. La estoy esperando para que me ayude a completar todos los datos q me faltan

30. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Hola si el traductor de Google es latoso pero si necesitas algo y te puedo ayudar avísame ya sea aquí o con un mensaje directo.

Con respecto a la comida por lo que he visto es mejor dejar la que tiene muchas calorías para las emergencias y el efecto smogyi o los rebotes más bien hay que esperar a que se acostumbre a la insulina

31. julieta villarreal

Hola vero, le di un poquito de wiska en lata ..no el sobrecito que es puro hidrato de carbono. Ayer le paso lo mismo y llego a niveles altos (+600) me dijeron que 1.0 ui de lantus es mucho para ella. Que hoy le ponga 0.5 ui. Uds que opinan?

32. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Ok deja traduzco para que los que saben nos puedan apoyar

Hi guys Julieta is saying that she gave her kitty canned wiskas, not the one in a pouch that is all carbs. That it happened the same yesterday that Susan got to high levels (+600) and she was told 1 u is too much and that she should give 0.5 u today., and she wants to know your option on that

33. Chris & China (GA)

To drop from 530 to 83 is a huge drop and will probably set off another bounce so I wouldn't be surprised if Susan went high again tonight.

How much does Susan weigh? Is it a good weight for her or is she underweight or overweight?

Para bajar de 530 a 83 es una gota enorme y probablemente se desencadenará otro rebote por lo que no me sorprendería si Susan subió de nuevo esta noche.

¿Cuánto pesa Susan? ¿Es un buen peso para ella o tiene sobrepeso o bajo peso?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  34. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hola!!! Y bienvenidos:bighug::bighug:
    Yo me llamo Gill, y vivo en España:)
    Soy bilingüe, y puedo ayudarle con traducción. Es media noche aquí, pero quería saludarle antes de ir me a mi camita;).

Mañana me paso a verle.
    Buenas noches.

Gill

35. julieta villarreal

Hola! Gracias a Todos por su ayuda! 4.900kgrs pesa mi gata. Antes de Ser diagnosticada ESTABA en sobrepeso. Ahora ya TIENE UN PESO normal.
    Solo come cruda carne, nada d hidratos de Carbono .. Solo en Casos de Como Este.
    Las Chicas Que Me guian por medio de Facebook me dijieron Que Baje La Dosis 0,5 UI de Lantus. Despues les comento Como Responde Susana (mi gata) a la nueva dosis

36. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Translating Julieta's post :

Hello! Thanks everyone for the help!

My cat is 4.9 kg Before being diagnosed she was overweight, but now she is in her normal weight. She is only on raw meat, no carbs, only in cases like today.

The girls helping her on Facebook told her to lower the dose to 0.5u of Lantus. She would let us know how Susana (her cat) responds to this new dose

37. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

Me temo que no hay jeringas con medias marcas en Argentina, yo ya las busqué en su momento y no hay :( Silvinia en su momento cuando me recomendó las jeringas si no recuerdo mal también me dijo lo mismo.

Veremos como sigue Susana para la medicion antes de la dosis. Alguna novedad Juli? Le vas a dar 0.5?

@Tuxedo Mom I'm afraid there's not half markings U100 syringes available here in our country :( At the moment Owen was still on insulin I couldn't find them, neither Silvina did when we talked about syringes, if I'm not mistaken.

Let's see how Susana is doing for pmps. Any news Juli? Are you decreasing the dose to 0.5?

38. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Would calipers help in that there are no syringes with half unit markings?
    ¿Los calibradores ayudarían en que no hay jeringas con marcas de media unidad?

39. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Julieta las que yo consigo son de la marca DB y por lo general esta marca distribuye en toda latinoamerica te anexo una foto que ojala te sirva.
    DSC_0608.JPG
    También sería bueno que trataras de conseguir tiras para medir las cetonas en la orina

40. julieta villarreal

Vero solo CONSIGO de la ESA marca Las Que van en escala de 1 en 1. Pero sigo la busqueda, gracias por la Foto Que Me Va A Ser de mucha AYUdA

Owen & Ceci likes this.
  41. luz

luz Member

I speak Spanish. If there is anything I can help translate please let me know.

Hablo español si hay algo que necesitas traducción por favor déjame saber

42. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Ojala son bastante nuevas aqui en Mexico solo tiene unos meses que las sacaron, tambien hay una version de 8mm (me gustan mas las de 6 porque disminuyen el riesgo de que inyecte mal)

43. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

Quizas lleguen pronto a Argentina :woot:

44. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When possible would everyone responding in Spanish post an English translation below their remarks so that everyone can follow along, please?

Thank you!

45. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I will do that next time, in this case she was asking about syringes I posted a photo of the ones I use so that she could look for them and she answered that apparently those have not arrived to Argentina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.