Hi! Krazy and I are new and need HELP!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sueandkrazy, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sueandkrazy

sueandkrazy New Member

Hi all,
    Just found your wonderful site today and have been pouring over it all afternoon. Krazy cat was just diagnosed yesterday. We were actually relieved that she was going to be OK and that this was very treatable. She was/is one very sick cat right now.

So the vet, who we like very much, sent me home with a vial of lantis insulin (after making sure I could give her shots) and instructions to give her 2 units every 12 hrs. Also change her diet to a hi protein low carbohydrate one and he gave me a sample of EVO.

Got her home, threw away all the cat chow, and put out the sample of EVO. She seemed to like it pretty well. Had two other queens to please, they both gave their approval. So while all were taking their afternoon nap I ran out and got a bag of this EVO,(just a small one to start). Later that afternoon Krazy ate some of her new hi protein food and before going to bed I gave her the second insulin shot.

This morning she barely got out of bed to get a drink. I gave her her third 2 units of insulin. I don't think she has eaten any food at all today and is just laying on her rug all day.

I need advice, should I continue giving the insulin every 12 hours regardless of food consumption. Or just hold off now till Monday morning when I can get a hold of the vet again.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks from both,
    Sue and Krazy

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

No...do not give insulin again....I'll get you some help here ASAP.

Could be signs of hypoglycemia.

Are you home-testing before shots.

Are you sure you are giving only 2 units. About 1/4" of insulin drawn up into an insulin syringe.

What was your kitty's BG at diagnosis.

Did the vet say anything about keytones or ketoacidosis ?

WHERE DO YOU LIVE....City, State.

3. sueandkrazy

sueandkrazy New Member

Not home testing yet. He wants us back in two weeks and he'll go over that with me.

I'm pretty sure I'm just giving her 2 units. I over draw like he showed me, alittle over the 5 mark, tap to release any air and then I push the plunger back up to two. I'm in OH.

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Need your CITY in Ohio. We have members all over may be able to help.

How long has she been lethargic.

5. sueandkrazy

sueandkrazy New Member

Sorry I forgot the other questions. (another cat demanding attention) No mention of ketoneis (sp) Blood sugar was 270.

6. sueandkrazy

sueandkrazy New Member

Sorry again, Granville Ohio (east of Columbus). She been lethargic all day.

Will give the vet a call, maybe they have an emergancy line.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

OK, that's not an extremely high BG at diagnosis.

Yes, give the vet a call.

Sounds very much like hypo...low blood sugar from too much insulin.

2u of insulin is higher than we usually want people to start at.

Especially since you switched to a low carb food at the same time, that alone will
    lower the BG, even without insulin.

Do you have any Karo Syrup on hand. Or pancake syrup (NOT artificially sweetened).
    Even grape jelly will do. Honey also works.

Try to get 1/2 tsp or so into her mouth...rub on the gums. She does not need
    to swallow it.

If she perks up a bit, she needs to eat...almost anything. Turkey lunchmeat, meat baby food,
    canned cat food (borrow from neighbor ?)....

COME BACK HERE after you try to reach the vet.

8. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

A glucose number of 270 while stressed at the vet could be a normal number. Did they run a fructosamine test? This tests a part of the blood that will show us the average glucose level over the past 3 weeks or so.

I also think this sounds like hypo, and I also agree that 2 units is a lot to start off with, especially considering a relatively low diabetic number. Is there a way you can get to a 24hr pharmacy and pick up a glucose meter and some strips?

9. sueandkrazy

sueandkrazy New Member

Got some honey on Krazy's gums & lips, no reaction yet. On call vet finally returned my call. She completely agreed with you. Also no insulin tomorrow, and come in on Monday to get trained in home testing.

Will try to get food in her as soon as she start to perk up. How long before honey works?

thank you so much.........right now I'm a wreck, I'm sure I'll need much more help before I get this under control.

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sue
    I am glad you came back and let us know hw you were doing.
    Changing diet to low carb and starting insulin without testing could lead to problems.
    We mostly start dosing at 1u bute you really need to see what Krazy's numbers are.

You might want to ick up your own meter and strips before going to the vet. You do not need to see the "animal" one. We all use human ones.
    We have used the Relion Ulitmas from Walmart. The strips are pretty cheap (40/100 box). There are several models of the relion meter. Thet are all good just make sure you get the rigt strips for the meter.

Also, we always hometest before each shot and try and get spot checks during the day and/or night.
    Keep an eye on Krazy and make sure she eats, whatever she wants.

11. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I am just reading this thread now. Is your cat unresponsive? Has not eaten anything all day and is still just laying there, not reacting when you rub Karo? She needs to go to the animal ER now, tonight. Lantus can last a long time and it's a hard hypo to beat with a little syrup.

I hope you're still around-- please update.

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Jess, I wouldn't take a chance with a cat that has been lethargic all day and didn't respond to sugar. I would take her to ER now. She could be hypoing, or she could have something else going on, but that is not something I would want to risk.

How many hours has it been since the last shot? Lantus hypos can go on for a lot longer than 12 hours, if that's what it is.

13. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Hon, if she's been unresponsive all day long, and is not even moving or eating...she really needs to see a vet right now. I know about expenses, and I understand all about the stress. But Krazy needs some medical intervention right away.

We can walk you through home testing, and how to deal with hypos, but with the combo of food change and a fairly high starting dose of Lantus, she needs a Dr. right away. Then you can come back and we can work with you on the home testing...deal?

Hugs, and lots of prayers.

Best-
    Michele

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

even if you do not go to er tonight please keep us posted and keep the karo or syrup on her gums until she begins to lick it off.
    can you stay up with her tonight. she may need you to check her for a few hours to yet.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if she's up for food do you still have any of the dry kibble in the house. best if you can give her the high carb foods and keep her eatting small amounts thru the night.
    hope your still with us.

16. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

sue are you still home or did you do go ER? if you are hoe can you post update? honey does not last very long at all, would need to keep giving it over and over even after she eats since we have no idea what your kitty's BG is.
    also can you smell her breath and see if it smells like nail polish remover?
    i hope though you are at ER and update us later.....
    ~jojo

17. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

18. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

Hi krazy!
    Know the feeling new to diabetes too! These are the greatest people!! Very helpful and have been great with Doodles and I.
    My suggestion to you being new is get to the lantus board where all the kids are on Lantus. It's alot to take in for sure, but with Lantus we are testing all the time.
    I had a great friend of the group come to my home and show me how to test! It was great much better than doing the shots! I freaked for about 3 days! And then when I switched to lantus I messed up the dose and
    didn't give enough :eek: but now I've got the routine drinking24 haha
    I know for Doodles the vet is NOT the place for her, she hated it for the two week testing, so home testing is the way to go. Natural enviroment and she's with mom. But good for you that you're on Lantus!
    I hear great things and very excited to see great numbers!
    I feel for ya...it's pretty crazy for the first month! All so new, but Krazy is sooooo lucky to have you!
    Best of luck will look for you in Lantus land!

heidi and doodles >"<

PS I keep a journal of ALL kitties just 2, but this way I know when they eat and how she's feeling day to day. In lantus land you will have a spread sheet that is awesome, it will track your shots and BG tests! This way the group can look at how things have been going with krazy and make suggestions! It rocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.