Hi! Oscar and I, Judy, are new here.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judy Zutell, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy Zutell

Judy Zutell New Member

He's my 12 year old long hair kitty and was diagnosed with diabetes in January. He's been doing great with the insulin shots. But does anyone know just how long insulin is effective? One month? Three or more? He's on Lantus, 3 units twice a day. The last couple days he's been seeming ravenous! Wonder if it's time to refill the prescription? Thanks!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Judy and Oscar! You may get more answers from the Lantus members, here's the main thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/
    I believe a Lantus pen vial is good for one month when not refrigerated and up to 3 months when refrigerated. You'll definitely get confirmation from them! Are you home testing to know if his BG numbers are being effected?

My boy, Maury could be Oscar's younger brother :cat:

3. Judy Zutell

Judy Zutell New Member

Okay thank you!

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have had a pen up to 3.5 months and was able to use it to the last drop. Current pen is going on 3 months, on smaller units now so not using as fast, but seems to still be effective.

5. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

HERE are one of the very informative Sticky notes from the Lantus/Levemir Forum - click on the blue words to open up the link.
    You'll read there among other info that :
    "The manufacturer of Lantus recommends discarding the insulin after 28 days of use. However, with proper handling and refrigeration, many Lantus users have been able to use a vial/cartridge/pen for six months and longer. Some use pens and vials to the last drop."
    and
    "Please note: Lantus is NOT as fragile as we once thought. Human diabetics will carry around an unrefrigerated pen in their purse, briefcase, backpack, or stuck in their pocket. The pens will be subject to motion, bumps and bangs... it still works! Refrigeration and minimizing movement will help your insulin last longer, but don't freak out if you drop your insulin or accidentally leave it out on the counter over night. Chances are the insulin is just fine"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.