HI reading on Relion Prime

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frank's Mom, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

PMPS got a reading of HI 3x in a row. The book said this happens if it reads over 600. I can't believe he shot up that high in an hour, but 3 reading in a row say it did. I gave 2.5 U and will test in about 45 min. This could really be a bounce, right?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It happens. It's possible he dropped a little lower than he's used to (that's all it takes) either last night or earlier today. You can try keeping the 2.5 u dose tonight and tomorrow AM and PM then raise it to 2.75 u if you don't see any progress. BTW - you haven't entered your AM for today on the SS.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Did he just eat too? If he did, and you test in 45 minutes, it is unlikely the number will have dropped, since most of our kitties rise a bit after eating. Usually they don't start dropping until around +2.

4. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

No, I gave him just a few treats (dry royal canin glycobalance) like always so he sits still for the BG. Test with treats, shoot, feed. He's down a bit now. Drinking a lot of water. I'll keep testing.

Djamila likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

And remember it's just one number and one cycle. Weird/wonky numbers sometimes happen...hopefully tomorrow he'll be back down.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  6. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Yep...trying to stay calm with some higher numbers here and there, for sure. But the DKA episode before and a bounce that high worried me. Feel better that it's coming down. I've resigned myself to the probability that he's going to be a 3-4 U kitty.

StephG likes this.
  7. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Now I'm afraid he's dropping too fast, lol. Just fed him a can of Friskies and a bit of dry to check BG, so I'm thinking we're back on track. This really is exhausting. I feel like my life is down to 1-2 hour increments. Feed the cat, check his sugar, pull his food, check his sugar. Check his sugar, feed the cat, give a shot. Check the sugar, fill the food. Whew. I'm beat!

8. Djamila

Lol...this cracks me up. Plus, I think we can all relate. It does get better. The more data you get, the more comfortable you'll feel leaving the house.

Frank's Mom and StephG like this.
  9. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Franks not the friendliest guy. He's not mean, just very aloof. He's never just curled up and slept on my lap. So I can honestly say I've had more contact with him in the last 2 weeks than ever before. The dog, who is my baby, is getting jealous. I've also taken on an indoor foster bunny. And have 8 chickens. Getting 2 new bee hives in a month. Girl scout leader and in the middle of cookie season. Volunteer for a local dog rescue. I just want a free day. But Saturday I'll be doing a curve. Haha. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

10. Djamila

Goodness, Sarah! You have a lot going on! I'm terrified of bees. I can't even imagine living with them on purpose! Just think, you'll have all day on Saturday to count up the cookie sales while you're waiting for the next test...;):rolleyes:

Kris & Teasel and Frank's Mom like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

I always buy Girl Scout cookies!!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ohhh Girl Scout cookies would be good right now!

My gosh Sarah...you must be exhausted! You should try to find a day where you can just hide from the world lol.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  13. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I love GS cookies. Cookie season, not so much!
    Frank was low enough today that I didn't freak out. Vet at 330 so we'll see what she says. I'm taking my SS to her today.

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Let us know what the vet says!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  15. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Well, Frank was at 235 at the vet. I filled in the home number as well (+8 after AM shot) as best I can remember. (I tested him right before getting him in the carrier and out the door, so will double check when I get home from work tonight.) She was a bit concerned that I was checking with a human meter because of the variances in results. I told her I gave him the 2.25 this morning, and told her how he spiked last night. (I think she really wanted me to wait for her to tell me the dose, but at a HI reading 3x in a row, I'm happy I increased on my own.) I'm going to price out the strips on the one the vet uses versus the alpha tracker 2 and the one I have, and see if I want to make the switch. His weight has stayed the same, and we'd like to see him at about a pound heavier, but that's ok.
    If I get the pet meter, she was very willing to work with me on phone calls and dosing advice. I guess I can understand her reluctance to give official dosing advice on a meter that doesn't quite accurately track based on their standards, but I still feel better doing in home testing and adjusting, even if it's somewhat on my own without a lot of input from her.
    His 235 today is a good reading, I think, all things considered. He HATES the car ride...peed in the carrier again...and I do expect him to be a bit high from the anxiety. It's better than it was last week, though, so we're moving in the right direction!

16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Maury hates the car ride too, more than the Vet visit. Which meter does your Vet use? I thought most used the AT2

17. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

The Henry shein or something. I have it written down. It's $25, the the strips are 50 for $50.

18. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh I had thought the Henry Schein was not U.S. lol

Frank's Mom likes this.
  19. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

And here we go again.

20. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Can I start a thread for how to preserve my sanity?

21. Kris & Teasel

He's had several 2.5 u doses that only got you to yellow - and he bounces. In a situation like this you have to pay more attention to the lows than the PSs because they're often bounce-inflated. I suggest you give 2.75 u a try for three cycles to see if it generates more downward movement. You're still trying to find the good dose range and aren't there yet. Once you start getting some blues at least, then the bounce issue can be looked at more carefully. Great job with the evening testing! It's given you a lot of good data for this discussion.

I understand the burden on sanity that a bouncy kitty creates! :blackeye: It might not seem helpful to say this but it's worked for me: once I accepted that Teasel is bouncy and will (probably) always be challenging I calmed down a lot. Not reacting to numbers much or at all has made this difficult road easier for me to travel. :bighug:

Frank's Mom likes this.
  22. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Yeah, I'm thinking we're going to go pretty high on his dose before things start to level out. He's not dropped much today, and I know he's on his way back up now. Grr. I am going to get some of the YA 0 carb food for him, and see if that helps us any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.